New pc i5 very slow

stealthcreepa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hello,i just built my own computer,it's an i5 2500k cpu with asus p8z68 v pro mobo,8g ddr3 ram,gtx 560ti,antec bronze 750w psu,windows 7,500g hd..,web browsing seems speedy,but overall the computer is very slow and non responsive,the only things ive done is update the mobo and gpu drivers,updated windows, installed kaspersky pure total security,and installed a wireless adapter,any idea's,thanks

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I would say that 500 GB HDD is the first problem especially if it is a Green Drive or similar. A 10000 RPM HDD at the very least is required to get the best out of that system. A SSD of course is better. Also make sure kaspersky is not causing an issue. I prefer Security Essentials myself. It is light, fast and free.

pro-gamer

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
install refresh OS and see your problem gone....kaspersky is no an issue i''ve installed it in my old pentium4 pc and my system run faster and you have the beast 2500k so it can run kaspersky so speeedy. install OS again.

stealthcreepa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
im kind of at a loss for words..,sumthin just seems wrong,how could sumthin so costly have points where it takes 10 minutes for a simple basic command like opening the task manager,and i cant imagine even the hd being so horrible in itself to cause such,repeatedly as well,a simple right click on the screen taking 5-10 minutes just to pop up,then i couldnt even restart or shutdown,clicked ,but nothing happened,and i think it was being a bit non responsive prior to kasperky,but likely got worse after perhaps,thanks for your reply and suggestion,....thats some serious delays im suffering..,could it be just them things..or perhaps more i wonder

chadders

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
im new to all this so this may seem like a dim witted comment for me to post! but have you checked in the bois what speed your CPU is running at?... disable speed step on teh CPU and see if that helps :)

BillboGates

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I can assure you problems like this have nothing to do with HDD access time. Those delays are really quite small in almost all occasions. as in less than a second.
This is a major configuration problem. I have seen this exact thing happen when somone took a HDD with a windows 7 install on it (and a bunch of other ***) and simply placed it inside new pc.
My suggestion would be check your memory settings and make sure your computer is recognizing your RAM, your timing settings may be wrong, look them up for your RAM and ensure they match bios figures.

Toxicknight79

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
sounds like driver conflicts and possibly a DOA stick of ram even ,,,, have you checked your ram ,,, ? because loading up simple programs on that build on 5400rpm drive much less 7200 rpm drive wouldnt take that long .......

stealthcreepa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
my system says it has 8 gigs of ram installed,so it must be recognizing them eh,tho i havent checked the bios for any specifics,kind of a noob when it comes to bios,but i'll check it out,see if anything catches my eye,somthing however to add,i dont kno if this is significant or not,but i had my hd attached with sata to a marvel input on my mobo,someone told me those are better suited for sdd's..,so i switched my hd back to a 3.0 sata instead of a 6.0..,could that have been my problem..,cuz thats all ive done so far,n im not having delays..tho i havent tried to do anything yet either...sorry if im a bit scattered,i appreciate any and all assistance tho

stealthcreepa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
tho actually...,i started off with the hd in a 6.0 sata,but not the marvel,but then when i'd turn on my computer,b4 it loaded i would see it say somthing about tried to find the marvel drive n couldnt or whatever,so i then put it into the marvel drive,n things only seemed to go downhill from there,altho it no longer said it couldnt load from the marvel sata anymore,so this is the 3rd switch,and now it's in a 3.0....,dont kno if thats significant,but it's what took place,so im trying to be as precise and detailed as possible

stealthcreepa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
i just rememberd,i meant to mention,in my device manager..,their is an unknown device with out of date drivers..,..i tried to update drivers thru online search and nothing came up..shrug..sorry im a pain,thanks again

stealthcreepa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
i just installed and patched starcraft 2 entirely without any problems..,if i didnt kno better,things seem to be functioning a lot better just with the switch of that wire,..could just that have caused such..,the unknown device is still bothersome..,if i could describe the icon it shows,it looks like a modem..

Edwins7

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Maybe there is nothing wrong with the hardware, it's just you may be not taking good care of the PC thus too many junk files, unneeded programs etc are running and slow down computer speed. In this case I think you can rely on speed up PC software to take the stress out. Regards.

TRENDING THREADS