Sign in with
Your question

PSU failure?

Last response: in Components
February 19, 2012 1:32:57 AM

Hey there guys, long story short, i believe i have another bad PSU.

it started with my last computer which i ended up scrapping because of the problem; as it was getting old. fast forward a few weeks, here i am:

Core i3 2120
GTX550Ti
4 Gigs DDR3 ram

the reason i scrapped the old computer was because i was getting restarts randomly. i replaced everything on that computer except for the CPU, and then i decided it was time to stop putting money into it. now i am getting the same random restarts on the new system.

the only things on this system that are the same are the:

case
GPU (tested, not the problem)
PSU (this is the second one i've had the problem with)

I just am at a loss here. We do have incredibly shoddy power here in my apartment, but i have a battery backup on the computer to hopefully avoid power surges that may kill the PSU.

for funsies, i look in event viewer, and that shows that the error is "kernal-power" and that the failure "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." although, that doesn't necessarily seem to point to a psu failure, just that it lost power all of a sudden.

that is the only thing i can imagine is the problem, even though it is brand new. anybody have some ideas on what may be happening?

welp, thanks for the help guys, and glad to be posting here :hello: 

More about : psu failure

February 19, 2012 1:57:12 AM

What brand and model # is the PSU anyway?
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
February 19, 2012 2:08:19 AM

Or it could be a bad backup.
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2012 2:13:04 AM

hpdeskjet said:
What brand and model # is the PSU anyway?

cooler masters extreme 600w

I'm not using a backup, its a fresh install of windows 7
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
February 19, 2012 2:28:02 AM

Quote:
We do have incredibly shoddy power here in my apartment, but i have a battery backup on the computer to hopefully avoid power surges that may kill the PSU.

Hopefully my post makes more sense now.
m
l
February 19, 2012 2:30:44 AM

4745454b said:
Quote:
We do have incredibly shoddy power here in my apartment, but i have a battery backup on the computer to hopefully avoid power surges that may kill the PSU.

Hopefully my post makes more sense now.

haha, much more, thanks. I've got one on my wife's computer so ill try hers.

although I did have this problem before the backup
m
l
February 19, 2012 5:39:38 AM

I'm leaning towards a faulty PSU. I suppose a good way of testing it is to get a quality PSU of comparable power from a reputable brand like Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, XFX, etc. and test it on your system.
m
l
February 19, 2012 5:48:03 AM

I used one of those psu testers you plug into the 24 pin connector. are those very reliable?
m
l
February 19, 2012 7:05:26 AM

They seem to be. I don't think those things test your PSU under load though. What were the results you got?

Edit: What case do you have anyway? Just wondering if the PSU is bottom or top mounted.
m
l
February 19, 2012 3:03:53 PM

I couldn't tell you the brand, but tthe psu is mounted on the top rear of the case. its fairly old, 6-8 years I would guess
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:36:00 PM

6-8 years is a very long time. I think you're problems will probably go away once you replace the PSU. Maybe something like this:

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:44:06 PM

the power supply is about two months old, that's why I was skeptical whether the problem lay there. the case is that old

I'm gonna go grab another and see if that fixes the problem. thanks!
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 19, 2012 7:00:12 PM

Yeah that unit is a poor excuse for a power supply.
It's a 450W unit on a good day!
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
Have you tried running the pc bypassing the UPS and plugging directly in the wall outlet?
Btw i've had the same error messages on my rigs before and it definitely wasn't a power issue.
It was the gpu drivers on one and a faulty ram module on the other.
m
l
February 19, 2012 7:09:48 PM

davcon said:
Yeah that unit is a poor excuse for a power supply.
It's a 450W unit on a good day!
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
Have you tried running the pc bypassing the UPS and plugging directly in the wall outlet?
Btw i've had the same error messages on my rigs before and it definitely wasn't a power issue.
It was the gpu drivers on one and a faulty ram module on the other.

wow good read, I never guessed they would package it like that. that could very easily cause the problem then if it needed more power than that.
m
l
February 19, 2012 7:24:31 PM

now tthat I know that its only pulling 450w tthat could be my problem, my gpu requires 500.

thanks guys I bet that's the problem.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 19, 2012 8:42:27 PM

beneharris said:
now tthat I know that its only pulling 450w tthat could be my problem, my gpu requires 500.

thanks guys I bet that's the problem.

That's a system power reccomendation, they're always bloated
Your system ;
Core i3 2120
GTX550Ti
4 Gigs DDR3 ram
Don't know how many drives or fans but with a single OD and HD and a pair of 120mm fans you're looking at roughly a 210 watt DC load when running Furmark.
It's not likely that the psu not being able to produce it's labeled wattage is causing your problem, more likely a lack of quality.

m
l
!