Upgrade Dell 470 vs. Optiplex 380?

Hello,

I have a Dell Precision 470 with a single 2.8 GHz processor, (but room for another processor) 2 GB Ram, Win 7, and a good video card w/ dual dvi output.

I have a chance to buy a 2 year old Optiplex 380 with 4GB RAM, 2.93 GHz and Win 7 for $ 200. (I believe it is Intel Core 2 Duo.)

Am I better off upgrading the Dell Precision 470 to 2 full processors, (maybe 3.4 MHz), and adding 4GB more Ram, or should I buy the Optiplex?

I use the computer primarily for Google Sketch Up, Quickbooks 2012, and AutoCAD 2007.

Monitor is a Mac 23" cinema display.

thanks for any suggestions you might have.
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade dell optiplex
  1. I don't recommend upgrading dells, but I would also post your question in the dell forums. The 380 is ok for basic stuff, but the power supply is only 235 watts, so I wouldn't upgrade it as small form factor power supplies are limited and expensive.
  2. o1die said:
    I don't recommend upgrading dells, but I would also post your question in the dell forums. The 380 is ok for basic stuff, but the power supply is only 235 watts, so I wouldn't upgrade it as small form factor power supplies are limited and expensive.

Thanks

I did post it in the Dell forum.

A more direct question though:

Can dual Xeon processors at 3.4 Mhz keep up with the Duo Core Intel units? The 470 was a pretty serious computer (6 years old.) The 380 is entry level junk, but only two years old.

I guess that begs the question:

Am I foolish to not buy something with an i5 processor? I probably wouldn't spend more than $400., because I am a Mac user primarily, but AutoCAD 2007 and Quickbooks only run on Windows.

Thanks for your help.

RON
  3. The 470 is horribly out of date. Any i3 CPU beats it now since they're dual core.

$399
    http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-p7-1226s-Desktop-PC/product_432775
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Optiplex Dell Processors