Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Dell 470 vs. Optiplex 380?

Last response: in CPUs
February 19, 2012 3:14:38 AM

Hello,

I have a Dell Precision 470 with a single 2.8 GHz processor, (but room for another processor) 2 GB Ram, Win 7, and a good video card w/ dual dvi output.

I have a chance to buy a 2 year old Optiplex 380 with 4GB RAM, 2.93 GHz and Win 7 for $ 200. (I believe it is Intel Core 2 Duo.)

Am I better off upgrading the Dell Precision 470 to 2 full processors, (maybe 3.4 MHz), and adding 4GB more Ram, or should I buy the Optiplex?

I use the computer primarily for Google Sketch Up, Quickbooks 2012, and AutoCAD 2007.

Monitor is a Mac 23" cinema display.

thanks for any suggestions you might have.
a c 159 à CPUs
February 19, 2012 12:04:59 PM

I don't recommend upgrading dells, but I would also post your question in the dell forums. The 380 is ok for basic stuff, but the power supply is only 235 watts, so I wouldn't upgrade it as small form factor power supplies are limited and expensive.
m
l
February 20, 2012 9:25:23 PM

o1die said:
I don't recommend upgrading dells, but I would also post your question in the dell forums. The 380 is ok for basic stuff, but the power supply is only 235 watts, so I wouldn't upgrade it as small form factor power supplies are limited and expensive.

Thanks

I did post it in the Dell forum.

A more direct question though:

Can dual Xeon processors at 3.4 Mhz keep up with the Duo Core Intel units? The 470 was a pretty serious computer (6 years old.) The 380 is entry level junk, but only two years old.

I guess that begs the question:

Am I foolish to not buy something with an i5 processor? I probably wouldn't spend more than $400., because I am a Mac user primarily, but AutoCAD 2007 and Quickbooks only run on Windows.

Thanks for your help.

RON
m
l
Related resources
!