Sign in with
Your question

Needing help with Antec p193

Last response: in Components
February 19, 2012 3:46:43 AM

Picked up an Antec P193 case for my ongoing Piece by piece build project a little while back however it doesn't appear that to have included all of the proper HDD mounting screws. The case was the last one the store where I bought it at had and was a display model.

Went to the Antec site to order them from the Spare Parts store however when I put the screw package in my cart I received a message that it was out of stock.

Are there any other outlets where these could be ordered from?

Also the owner's manual is really not clear as to which screws are to be used for securing the drives in the upper drive caddy trays. In the picture I see a number of long screws with a collar around the screw head. I would think those should be the right ones.

The only ones I have left after installing the other components are long hex screws that are threaded inside the head, and the side panel screws

More about : needing antec p193

February 19, 2012 10:11:41 AM

those are the right ones, long with collar, as they go through the rubber mounting grommits (do you have those).

Have you tried ebay? god knows how you'd search.
m
l
February 19, 2012 11:09:24 AM

The screws with the threaded heads are probably the motherboard standoffs. It's not unusual to have a few left over. Just to be sure, though, your motherboard should not be contacting any part of the case except at the standoff screws.

If the screws go through the rubber bushings into the hard drive case itself, you can get them at any decent hardware store. Look for size 6-32 pan head screws that are long enough to do the job.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2012 6:08:11 PM

...that kind of what I thought by the look. The MB was installed correctly as I powered it up to check that the CPU, RAM, and GPU were seen by the BIOS and there were no issues. Again as the case was a display model, they probably lost original the HDD mount screws and just threw together what they thought would be an appropriate hardware package. (hence the extra MB standoffs)

Not sure though if a general hardware store would have screws with the proper threading so as not to strip out the holes on the HDDs.

Went back to Antec's site and the screw set is still listed as being out of stock which I find odd as the P193 has not been discontinued. I sent them an email to see if they couldn't just scrape up an HDD screw set and send them to me. So far, no response.

About the only other thing I can think of is hitting the various neighbourhood computer repair shops. However, as I am on transit it is hard to get to many of them since where I live they tend to be on the outskirts of town where bus service is poor to non existent.

...eBay was a thought, but yes, how to find something like that without slogging through pages and pages is beyond my search-fu ability.
m
l
February 25, 2012 8:41:54 PM

kyotokid said:
Not sure though if a general hardware store would have screws with the proper threading so as not to strip out the holes on the HDDs.
sewalk said:
Look for size 6-32 pan head screws that are long enough to do the job.
What do you think is so special about the threads in hard drives? All 3.5" and larger hard drives I have ever seen (and I've been working with them since a 5 MegaByte drive was the size of a small shoebox) use the same 6-32 thread pattern (#6 shaft-32 threads per inch).

If it doesn't have varying lengths of 6-32 screws, it's not a real hardware store, at least in any English-speaking country.
m
l
February 25, 2012 11:32:02 PM

...I just wouldn't think that a store that sells hardware for stuff like houses, plumbing, & furniture would handle hardware compatible with with digital electronics.
m
l
February 26, 2012 12:19:50 AM

You'd be surprised how many computer projects can require a trip to the hardware store. Anyone interested in a custom watercooling setup will likely spend a little time in the plumbing department for hoses and clamps unless they like paying 5-10x more from a computer store.
m
l
February 26, 2012 1:45:23 AM

...as this is my first ever build I have been tending to err on the cautious side.

I submitted a support ticket with Antec explaining the situation. I mentioned that I also have an external HDD enclosure (MX-1) which has the same mounting system as the P193 (using the same exact screws) and inquired if it was possible I could get several replacement screw sets for that unit.

m
l
March 4, 2012 5:49:23 PM

....update: checked what local HW outlets I could get to, found nothing that was the right size, had the right thread pitch, or even looked the same. As mentioned above, filed a support ticket with Antec and received a reply last week that a replacement set of HDD screws is being sent at no charge.
m
l
March 8, 2012 4:11:53 AM

...situation resolved.
m
l
March 15, 2012 7:25:48 AM

...well, not yet. They said up to ten days and it's been two weeks.
m
l
March 18, 2012 8:07:45 PM

...still waiting and no replacement set. In the meantime searched a few computer repair places and found nothing that matches.

Checked the store and the replacement screw pack is still listed as being out of stock.

Will amend my ticket.
m
l
March 28, 2012 4:43:40 AM

...received another reply from Antec and they are sending out a set.
m
l
!