Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power Surges forcing shutdown

Last response: in Components
February 19, 2012 4:31:32 AM

So this all started when I got a nvidia gtx560ti overclocked card for my computer, installed it and everything went fine for a few months. Last week my computer suddenly shut down and came up with a msg saying that It had been shut down to protect from a power surge (as my bios is set to do) and after that first attempt it would do so any time anything put stress onto the video card. And eventually wouldnt turn on at all

So I took the computer to a local shop and they told me it was a power supply issue, my old one had burnt out they said, and they suggested i bought another one elsewhere. I did so and the problem continued, so i figured it was the card, and exchanged it for a 550 ti (only one they had at the store wehre i bought it)

And it is still happening, the power supply i UPGRADED to is 850w from 600, but is still having a power surge problem that came from seemingly no where. Im not quite sure what the problem is or how to fix it if anyone is able to help me.

Edit - I turned off the surge protection and i wanna test some of the games and such that caused the shutdown before im just not sure what would happen if it spikes, if it would stay on and not do anything or if it whould shutdown anyway

Edit 2- I havnt crashed yet since i turned off the surge protection, and was successfully able to play a few rounds of a practice game in sc2, but idk if its safe to try some real games yet with the threat of crashing still there, so if anyone had a reason why this happened / is still happening or a solution id love ot hear :D 
February 19, 2012 4:45:28 AM

You could just be getting 'dirty' power form your utility company. A line-interactive (aka full-time) UPS will solve this problem and protect you from sags and blackouts as well.
m
l
February 19, 2012 4:59:24 AM

the guy at the store did suggest one of them, would turning off the surge protection allow me to continue to use it until i get a ups?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 19, 2012 5:06:34 AM

get a surge protector.
m
l

Best solution

February 19, 2012 5:19:16 AM

esrever said:
get a surge protector.

A surge protector only stops massive component-killing surges. For less catastrophic power spikes, you need something more advanced.

I've never seen an option like that in BIOS but I haven't been working on too many systems lately that are less than 3-4 years old. Considering how many millions of PCs have run fine without it, I'd say it's safe to turn off but I wouldn't put off the purchase of a UPS for long. I haven't run any piece of expensive electronics (TV, PC, gaming console) without one for years. They also work as surge protectors so there's no need to spend any money on one of those, too.

I picked up a couple of 1500VA enterprise grade expandable UPS boxes and several expansion boxes from a government auction a few years ago. Between them and the various other smaller systems I've picked up over the years, I have them in nearly every room. Battery costs can add up over time as they do wear out after a few years but the security is well worth the price.
February 19, 2012 5:23:45 AM

One quick caveat about uninterruptible power supplies: Don't ever overload one. Anything with a heating element in it is strictly taboo. That means space heaters, clothes irons, and laser printers. You can easily damage the MOSFET transistors in the UPS that way.
m
l
February 19, 2012 5:24:11 AM

sewalk said:
A surge protector only stops massive component-killing surges. For less catastrophic power spikes, you need something more advanced.

I've never seen an option like that in BIOS but I haven't been working on too many systems lately that are less than 3-4 years old. Considering how many millions of PCs have run fine without it, I'd say it's safe to turn off but I wouldn't put off the purchase of a UPS for long. I haven't run any piece of expensive electronics (TV, PC, gaming console) without one for years. They also work as surge protectors so there's no need to spend any money on one of those, too.

I picked up a couple of 1500VA enterprise grade expandable UPS boxes and several expansion boxes from a government auction a few years ago. Between them and the various other smaller systems I've picked up over the years, I have them in nearly every room. Battery costs can add up over time as they do wear out after a few years but the security is well worth the price.

I actuially have a surge protector, so for now would it be worth plugging it into that just for good measure?
m
l
February 19, 2012 5:31:30 AM

A surge protector is an absolute minimum. Damaging surges are rare events but quality surge protectors are not very expensive and can easily save thousands of dollars worth of equipment. I consider them essential for every major electronic appliance in the home: TV, VCR, DVD, PC, game, stereo, etc. (Unless, like me, you upgrade them to UPSs.)
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:18:54 AM

Would a switcher by itself work or should i just use the surge protector?
>.>
m
l
!