Raidmax PSU killed my harddrives

Alright, I had 3 hard drives die on me in 2 weeks, they were all old ide drives that I had sitting around for back-ups someday. I was building a pc from scraps I had. The first one crapped out, mechanical sounds, died. So I installed xp on another hd, got it all going and it started clickin, by now Im thinkin this mobo I just put in is cursed. Now Im troubleshooting stuff cause this is alittle more than a coincidence at this point. Once I thought I figured it out another drive started dying...

Well long story short I found out it was the PSU, Raidmax RX380k (KY-480ATX) It must have been shorting them out or sending a surge to them or something? Once I swapped out the psu, no problem with my hard drives since. (over 2 months ago) I also found out this thing dosent weigh very much at all, I mean its LIGHT. It cant weigh more than 2 lbs. Just feels like theres nothing in it. Piece of garbage. I will have nothing to do with Raidmax ever again, especially their PSU's.
7 answers Last reply
More about raidmax killed harddrives
  1. A long known fact that their PSU's are at the bottom of the barrel quality wise.
  2. I don't think they're even in the barrel. Calling them crap is too generous.
  3. Agreed with sewalk. hahaha "Calling them crap is too gernerous."
  4. Funny reading this review from you guys, ive build a system with the AMD FX-8120 OC to 4.2Ghz with two Radeon HD 6850 cards :D , and my Raidmax 850 watt PSU has yet to fail me :) , and my Rig is going strong with 5 months of constant running, and i read this crap, you guys giving this PSU a bad review, Shame on you guys :non: !!!!!
  5. The psu is made out of crappy components, your 850W raidmax doesn't even output 850W.
  6. nitroexplosion said:
    Funny reading this review from you guys, ive build a system with the AMD FX-8120 OC to 4.2Ghz with two Radeon HD 6850 cards :D , and my Raidmax 850 watt PSU has yet to fail me :) , and my Rig is going strong with 5 months of constant running, and i read this crap, you guys giving this PSU a bad review, Shame on you guys :non: !!!!!

Your Raidmax is completely different from the unit first described in this thread
    Being that it's a newer model, 850 watts and survived the 80+ tests to get itself a Gold rating ( which means it did manage to output it's full rated power, amuffin ) it's not surprising that it can handle a system that could be run on a good quality 650 watt psu
    Have a look at this, the star is a Raidmax similar to the OP's, might help you to understand why they have such a bad reputation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA
  7. I just don't like raidmax. I'm sure some DELL psu would do better than some raidmax ones.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Hard Drives Raidmax Components