Drives keep disappearing and constant BSoDs

nyandaber

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I recently built a new computer. There were no problems putting it together but when I tried to install Windows my drive kept disappearing. I only had one drive plugged in at the time (Western Digital 150GB) because I heard about people having trouble installing Windows with multiple SATA drives.
Eventually, I got the system to recognize the drive long enough to install Windows and l was up and running for a while. However, over the past few days I have had countless crashes all resulting in Blue Screens, different ones at that.
I reckon the problem is that the C: drive keeps disappearing and Windows can't find it so it throws out a BsoD relevant to it at the time.
The weirdest part is sometimes when I go into the Bios any number of my drives will not be detected but after a Simple reboot they'll be there again. The only drive that is always there is my DVD drive. The only problem with that is I can't seem to boot from my DVD drive at all, not even to boot from my Windows disc.
The problems have been getting worse. lt is a war to get into Windows now and if do manage to get in, its only a matter of time before it crashes again. I have discovered l cannot run Avira, my sound will suddenly disappear and copying /moving /downloading will cause it to Blue Screen without fail.
I have since reseated all components of my computer, I have turned off drives going into hibernation, I have changed all the Sata cables and can verify the integrity of all my drives. Everything, especially when it crashes, seems entirely random to me. I am at a loss as to what to do. I have tried everything I can think of and I am running out of ideas.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

My specs:
MB: Asus P8P67Pro
CPU: i7 2600k
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw (2x4GB)
PSU: PC and Power Cooling 750W
Cooler: Artic Cooler Freezer 13
Sound: HDA XPlosion
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 6870

DVD: Pioneer DVD-RW/DVD-R 212D
HDD: Western Digital Raptor (150GB)
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar (400GB)
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar (750GB)
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar (1TB)
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar (1TB)

BSoDs:
STOP: 0xF4 (most frequent)
STOP: 0x7E
STOP: 0x7A
missing %hs

PrvtChurch

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
something is borked with either your HDD, your SATA port, or your SATA controller.
Try moving the drive to a different port (if it works then it's a bad port), if that doesn't work, try connecting the drive to a different PC (if it works it's your SATA controller/mobo that's bad), and if it still doesn't work then its the HDD that is borked.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
is that power supply able to handle 5 HDD's...? just a thought... can you run fine with only 1 HD for OS..? or does it still crash... if it still fails, RMA the mobo.

nyandaber

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Yeah, the PSU and drives are the only things that didn't change from the previous build. Same power supply and same drives worked perfectly on my old computer before I got the new pieces.