Sign in with
Your question

New Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 22, 2011 12:30:40 AM

So my current graphics card is overheating like crazy, decided to get a new one. I'm not 100% sure on my budget, i'd like it to be under £150 though I may be able to go slightly over if needed. I'd also like it to be able to last quite a while, which is why I'm willing to go over my budget if required. Not too sure what my overheating problem is, so one with a decent fan would be nice, might also buy an extra case fan if anyone wants to suggest one to get.

Here's my current specs:

Case COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
CPU Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P6X58D PREMIUM: DDR3, USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory 6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X T1 TRI-DDR3 2000MHz, X.M.P
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
1st Hard Disk 40GB Intel® X25-V 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 170MB/sR | 35MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
Power Supply CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

I've looked at a few myself, not too sure which to get. I'm deciding between:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX... - Cheap, but i'm not sure how good OcUK is.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX... - Pretty expensive for me, though it seems to me like the best performance of the 3
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX... - Same price as above, but less performance from what I can tell.. The only reason I like this one is because it's MSI + dual fans, so seems like it would be the lowest temp.

Pretty sure I included everything.. Let me know if I didn't, just copy/pasted from the site I got it from. I included my ideas but I'm sure you guys know more than me, and I don't want to buy a useless card. Thanks =)

More about : graphics card

a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 12:44:13 AM

Either the 6870 or the GTX560 is probably the best bang for your buck based on your budget.They both perform right around the same area.

Out of those I would say this one is the best.MSI makes some of the best cooling on the market.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...
September 22, 2011 1:37:16 AM

purple stank said:
Either the 6870 or the GTX560 is probably the best bang for your buck based on your budget.They both perform right around the same area.

Out of those I would say this one is the best.MSI makes some of the best cooling on the market.

Thanks, anyone else got any other suggestions? Gonna be buying this probably in about a week, wanna make sure I get a good one :) 
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 1:40:34 AM

Do you know why your GTX460 overheated?
September 22, 2011 1:43:44 AM

purple stank said:
Do you know why your GTX460 overheated?

Nope. It didn't overheat, it just gets insanely hot in games, even old games. It gets to about ~82*c in Oblivion with low graphics. Seeing as Skyrim is coming out soon, I would assume it to go above 90*c easily on that game. I've never actually done anything inside the PC myself.. Someone else suggested putting some arctic silver on it, but i'd have to buy that and then pay an extra ~£20 for someone to apply it for me. That's why I was considering getting a case fan, and why I preferred the MSI graphics card.
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 1:57:31 AM

what resolution will you be gaming at ? will you use CF/SLI?
September 22, 2011 1:59:28 AM

ilysaml said:
what resolution will you be gaming at ? will you use CF/SLI?

1920x1080 - Using 2 monitors atm, other res is 1440 x 900. I'd like to keep my 2nd monitor, though if I can get a good, cool graphics card then I wouldn't mind disabling it.

I guess I don't mind using CF/SLI, i'm using SLI atm but it's the first time i've used it and the first time i've had major temperature problems, so I don't really like the idea of it too much.
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 2:06:27 AM

you really have a nice rig, so complete this nice rig with a nice GPU
HD 6870 or GTX 550 ti would disappoint you in 1080P resolution, and you'll find a significant drop in FPS while playing all the upcoming games on that resolution
also i wouldn't recommend HD 6870s in CF, these cards are the worst ever in CF and Microstuttering explained recently by Tomshardware
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...
so your best option is to get a strong GPU like HD 6970 or GTX 570 and enjoy gaming at 1080P
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 2:12:07 AM

Those temps are normal for a GTX460.They have a max temp at around 100c.If your using them in SLI then the higher temp you see is probably from the top card since heat rise's.Since it still works I would suggest going with an Nvdida card so you can use PhysX with it.Should get a nice boost using it.

Adding a case fan is really simple.A lot more simple than adding Arctic Silver to a GPU.If you still have the stock fans for the HAF 922 I would suggest getting a couple more 120mm fans.I have the HAF 922 myself and the 200mm fans are good but that rear 120mm fan isn't so good.
September 22, 2011 2:17:05 AM

purple stank said:
Those temps are normal for a GTX460.They have a max temp at around 100c.If your using them in SLI then the higher temp you see is probably from the top card since heat rise's.Since it still works I would suggest going with an Nvdida card so you can use PhysX with it.Should get a nice boost using it.

Adding a case fan is really simple.A lot more simple than adding Arctic Silver to a GPU.If you still have the stock fans for the HAF 922 I would suggest getting a couple more 120mm fans.I have the HAF 922 myself and the 200mm fans are good but that rear 120mm fan isn't so good.

Seeing as it gets 82*c on a 4 year old game, I would assume it's sequel (releasing in Nov 2011) would raise that by quite a lot, wouldn't it? If not all the way to 100*c?

Any links to an actual fan to buy? No idea how much they are, or what fan I would get.

ilysaml said:
you really have a nice rig, so complete this nice rig with a nice GPU
HD 6870 or GTX 550 ti would disappoint you in 1080P resolution, and you'll find a significant drop in FPS while playing all the upcoming games on that resolution
also i wouldn't recommend HD 6870s in CF, these cards are the worst ever in CF and Microstuttering explained recently by Tomshardware
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...
so your best option is to get a strong GPU like HD 6970 or GTX 570 and enjoy gaming at 1080P

I can't really afford anything higher than £150 atm. Maybe if I waited until christmas for some sales.. Any idea which card(s) I should get, then? Edit - Nvm, just noticed you suggested some, thanks!
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 2:19:19 AM

The GTX560 will be fine for 1080p.And the GTX460 as a PhysX card will give a nice boost if you choose to use it.

I myself have a couple LED fans which you can see in my avatar.Which kind of fans would you be interested in,theirs so many to choose from.

LED fans
Quiet fans
High airflow fans
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 2:21:45 AM

purple stank said:

what is the definition of a max temp " the maximum temperature that that card will work under without getting fired out "
that doesn't mean a 80C at IDLE mode is fine or normal, there might be an issue like the space between cards, room ambient, leak of air flow.......
the minimum allowed temp for IDLE GPU shouldn't exceed 50s
September 22, 2011 2:22:22 AM

purple stank said:
I myself have a couple LED fans which you can see in my avatar.Which kind of fans would you be interested in,theirs so many to choose from.

LED fans
Quiet fans
High airflow fans

Well i've been running my GPU fans at 100% while gaming (still getting 82*c) so noise really doesn't bother me. Whichever fans you think would cool my GPU / rest of my system the most. Either LED fans or High airflow fans. - Keep in mind I don't have.. too much to spend. I could maybe get £300 at most if I waited until Christmas. Which also needs to pay for the graphics card I may or may not get.

ilysaml said:
what is the definition of a max temp " the maximum temperature that that card will work under without getting fired out "
that doesn't mean a 80C at IDLE mode is fine or normal, there might be an issue like the space between cards, room ambient, leak of air flow.......
the minimum allowed temp for IDLE GPU shouldn't exceed 50s

I'm getting 38*c / 40*c while idle (Well, watching vids, but basically idle) - The cards are VERY close. I couldn't get my finger between them, not even close. They're not touching, but they might aswell be. Although I get 82*c with 100% fan speeds on Oblivion.

- Thanks a lot for the replies so far guys! :)  Really appreciate it.
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 2:24:38 AM

@ Op
if i were you, i would stay at my place and run the 2 GTX cards until Xmas, where the 7K series will rise up, the are equipped with XDR2 rambus memory which is said to be twice faster than GDDR5 plus 28 nm tech, 1 GHz GPU frequency, ..............
September 22, 2011 2:27:21 AM

ilysaml said:
@ Op
if i were you, i would stay at my place and run the 2 GTX cards until Xmas, where the 7K series will rise up, the are equipped with XDR2 rambus memory which is said to be twice faster than GDDR5 plus 28 nm tech, 1 GHz GPU frequency, ..............

Yeah i've heard that from someone else. Though i'd have at most a £300 budget by xmas, I would assume the 7K series to cost more? The 6990 is over £300 already.
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 2:35:21 AM

a high end GPU 7950 equipped with 2 GB of XDR2 is said to be close to a HD 6950 in performance, but these high end GPUs HD 7950 / HD 7990 is said to be Q1 2012
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 2:49:42 AM

By max temp I mean cease to function/cause damage.The GTX460 max temp is 108c.

Well 82c with the fans at 100% does seem kinda high.Try taking one card out and see what the temps are like then.

These fans are good.They come in Red,Blue and Green that I know of.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-12cm-SickleFlow-S...

They are High CFM and LED.
September 22, 2011 3:00:15 AM

purple stank said:
By max temp I mean cease to function/cause damage.The GTX460 max temp is 108c.

Well 82c with the fans at 100% does seem kinda high.Try taking one card out and see what the temps are like then.

These fans are good.They come in Red,Blue and Green that I know of.

They are High CFM and LED.

Wow they're pretty cheap. Would they be to replace one of my current case fans, or to add a new one? I'm pretty terrible when it comes to hardware. Also, how many / where should I put them? :) 
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 3:11:01 AM

i don't understand the case fan scenario, how many fans do you have and where are their position ?
September 22, 2011 3:13:29 AM

ilysaml said:
i don't understand the case fan scenario, how many fans do you have and where are their position ?

I currently have.. 3? I think. One at the front of my case, one at the back and one at the top. http://www.internetct.co.uk/listings/imgs/HAF912-web-fe... That pic explains it. I have the 1, 2 and 4. Though I didn't know there were 2 fans.. Pretty sure it was just 1 per location.
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 3:19:04 AM

that's a HAF 912... not a HAF 922 you need a side 200MM fan, and a 120MM bottom fan
September 22, 2011 3:23:37 AM

purple stank said:
The GTX560 will be fine for 1080p.And the GTX460 as a PhysX card will give a nice boost if you choose to use it.

LED fans
Quiet fans
High airflow fans

So i've thought about it some, and think the GTX 570 would be in my price range + a good choice. (Thanks for the suggestion ilysaml)

So I can use one of my GTX 460's as a PhysX only card, and my GTX 570 as my other card? Would I put the 460 on top, so that the 570 is cooler? Is that possible? - Really hoping to get this in the next few weeks really, maybe a month at most for when Skyrim comes out.

ilysaml said:
that's a HAF 912... not a HAF 922 you need a side 200MM fan, and a 120MM bottom fan

I was just showing you the general idea of where they are, didn't even realize it was a different case. Will any 200MM fan do or is there a special HAF one? Also, if I get a 200MM side fan, would there be any space for the 12cm fan that purple stank suggested?

Edit- I realize this might be a crazy amount of fans, but temp is basically my only problem right now. No games really lag at all, never have, my GPU just gets way too hot.
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 3:30:38 AM

just a 200mm fan on side panel, and 1 120mm on bottom and you do have the other 3 fans... cooler master's or any would fit, but stick with cooler masters they are great and quite
September 22, 2011 3:39:32 AM

So the only thing left that I need an answer to is -

So i've thought about it some, and think the GTX 570 would be in my price range + a good choice. (Thanks for the suggestion ilysaml)

So I can use one of my GTX 460's as a PhysX only card, and my GTX 570 as my other card? Would I put the 460 on top, so that the 570 is cooler? Is that possible? - Really hoping to get this in the next few weeks really, maybe a month at most for when Skyrim comes out.

Thanks for all of the help so far guys =)
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 3:55:53 AM

Actually the 200mm fan on the side isn't a good idea.It works but it seems to get in the way if you have a aftermarket CPU cooler.I would suggest just getting x2 120mm fans.One to replace the rear fan and 1 to put on the side blowing on the GPU's.

Yes a GTX570 is a good idea.Depending on which one you get I would put the GTX460 on the bottom.If it's getting that hot you don't want it getting any hotter because it will make it's life span shorter.I suspect that theirs something wrong with the heatsink or it just isn't good.And yes you can use the GTX460 as a PhysX card with the GTX570.
September 22, 2011 3:59:37 AM

purple stank said:
Actually the 200mm fan on the side isn't a good idea.It works but it seems to get in the way if you have a aftermarket CPU cooler.I would suggest just getting x2 120mm fans.One to replace the rear fan and 1 to put on the side blowing on the GPU's.

Yes a GTX570 is a good idea.Depending on which one you get I would put the GTX460 on the bottom.If it's getting that hot you don't want it getting any hotter because it will make it's life span shorter.I suspect that theirs something wrong with the heatsink or it just isn't good.And yes you can use the GTX460 as a PhysX card with the GTX570.

Well I was going to get this 570 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

The main reason I assume it gets so hot is because of how close my GPUs are to eachother, which makes me think that the same will happen with the 570 if I get SLI, which is why I wanted to put it on the bottom. I would think that a 460 just dedicated to PhysX would be cooler than normal wouldn't it?
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 4:02:24 AM

Wow.That's the best GTX570,imo.Can't go wrong with it.It's cooling and Overclockability is the greatest.

That's also one of the reasons.Yea it probably will.The thing with PhysX is that it doesn't utlize the card fully like it would a normal SLI so the temps will be lower.
September 22, 2011 4:04:45 AM

purple stank said:
Wow.That's the best GTX570,imo.Can't go wrong with it.It's cooling and Overclockability is the greatest.

That's also one of the reasons.Yea it probably will.The thing with PhysX is that it doesn't utlize the card fully like it would a normal SLI so the temps will be lower.

I would think if I put the GTX 570 on top, it would equal to a higher overall temp than with the GTX 570 on bottom?

Also, i've found 3 120mm fans. They all seem to be insanely different in size, though they don't specify. Might just be my imagination.. I thought 120mm was the size. Dunno, just making 100% sure before I buy them. Any idea which I should get?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/COOLER-MASTER-Turbine-Master-Ma...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Excalibur-Case-fa...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/COOLER-MASTER-120-Silent-Chassi...

Not too worried about the price, i'll have £30 to spend after my GPU.
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 4:57:35 AM

Yes they are all 120mm.

That CoolerMaster Silent fan is the one you have in your case already.

Out of all of those I would say the Excalibur is the best fan.Although I would go for LED's myself.
September 22, 2011 5:11:22 AM

Well thanks guys, finally decided on what I'm gonna get =)

With one of my current GTX 460's dedicated to PhysX, if it gets too hot I can always just stick to the GTX 570. Aswell as 2 of these.

If anyone else has anything to add feel free to do so, I won't be getting these for about a week, though I'm fairly sure they're what i'll be getting. :) 
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 5:50:33 AM

i kinda read over this fast, but let me get this straight, you have sli GTX 460 2gb and you want to replace them with one 570?

wouldn't that be a downgrade? like by 20% or 30%?

80C might not be ideal but why replace them before they break? I doubt they will anytime soon.

If your planning on selling the cards, then maybe.... but why not just wait until there's a problem before fixing it? It's unlikely that the card's heat will hurt your other components.

Also, this is not necessarily true:
"Seeing as it gets 82*c on a 4 year old game, I would assume it's sequel (releasing in Nov 2011) would raise that by quite a lot, wouldn't it? If not all the way to 100*c?"

Max temps will appear at max load. Once the gpus are at max load, it simply deducts frames. So new game might only mean less performance, depends on your settings though.

If you want to see your max temps download furmark and run it for a minute. I don't recommend running it longer than that though if you don't know what your doing.
September 22, 2011 6:00:10 AM

Just ran it. It went to ~89*c in a minute, a little over a minute it got to ~92*c and then furmark started lagging pretty badly, decided to close it. Pretty sure it would have continued to get hotter. - Although you said once it hits max, it'll drop frames and not increase in temperature.. 92*c seems way too high though, right? Edit - Yeah, retried it. It continues going above 96*c. Stopped it at that point.

Any suggestions of a card that wouldn't be a downgrade? I was going to do GTX 570 and use a 460 dedicated to PhysX in SLI. Someone told me to get a GTX 580 instead.. It's an extra £100 and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to afford it anytime soon. Is it really that big of a downgrade?
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 7:06:57 AM

Yah that's to hot.When it gets to hot it will start to downclock in an effort to save itself from burning up which is why the decrease in frames.

Right now the GTX570 is the best bang for buck card since their price drop.The GTX570 will be fine and the GTX460 will provide a nice boost.

It is a downgrade but think of it more as an upgrade.When you have the money you can SLI another GTX570.And a GTX570 SLI is much more powerful.Don't forget you can always sell your GTX460's on Ebay or Amazon.
September 22, 2011 7:19:24 AM

purple stank said:
Yah that's to hot.When it gets to hot it will start to downclock in an effort to save itself from burning up which is why the decrease in frames.

Right now the GTX570 is the best bang for buck card since their price drop.The GTX570 will be fine and the GTX460 will provide a nice boost.

It is a downgrade but think of it more as an upgrade.When you have the money you can SLI another GTX570.And a GTX570 SLI is much more powerful.Don't forget you can always sell your GTX460's on Ebay or Amazon.

Well I don't think i'll be able to upgrade to SLI for atleast another year after now. Would you still suggest the GTX570 over the GTX580? The price difference is quite a lot, but I won't be able to SLI for a while. Also, if I got a 580, would I still be able to SLI with a 460? I always heard you couldn't SLI with different cards but apparently not :p  I just really dislike the idea of paying money to downgrade my PC.. Though I suppose there's nothing I can do about it.
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 7:58:56 AM

Well I would suggest going with the GTX570 if money is an issue.Obviously the GTX580 is really expensive.Actually after looking at some benchmarks it's not actually to bad of a downgrade.A GTX460 SLI is only very slightly better than a single GTX570.For some reason I would have thought the GTX460 SLI to be more powerful but it's actually not.I've seen GTX2xx series cards being PhysX'd with GTX4xx series cards so I would think it's possible.

Just look for the single GTX570 and the GTX465 SLI.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-sli-revie...
September 22, 2011 8:10:34 AM

purple stank said:
Well I would suggest going with the GTX570 if money is an issue.Obviously the GTX580 is really expensive.Actually after looking at some benchmarks it's not actually to bad of a downgrade.A GTX460 SLI is only very slightly better than a single GTX570.For some reason I would have thought the GTX460 SLI to be more powerful but it's actually not.I've seen GTX2xx series cards being PhysX'd with GTX4xx series cards so I would think it's possible.

Just look for the single GTX570 and the GTX465 SLI.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-sli-revie...

Alright well i've basically got all of the stuff I might buy depending on how much money I get now. Just wondering how well the 570 / 580 would do with 2 monitors? If that's even possible, not sure what ports they have. I assume i'd probably have to disable the 2nd monitor while playing graphics intensive games.
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 10:44:03 AM

Nvidia cards can support up to 2 monitors with a single GPU.Since they are both high end cards they will likely both come with x2 DVI ports.From my experience, gaming with a 2nd monitor doesn't really tax the GPU,but their is some type of performance impact.
September 22, 2011 1:24:50 PM

purple stank said:
Nvidia cards can support up to 2 monitors with a single GPU.Since they are both high end cards they will likely both come with x2 DVI ports.From my experience, gaming with a 2nd monitor doesn't really tax the GPU,but their is some type of performance impact.

Is there any downside to keeping fanspeed at 100%? I've done it for a while with my gtx 460s, they already had the temperature problem before I started doing that though. It might be different once I get my new graphics card, these ones just never seemed to increase the fan speed much automatically no matter how hot they would get, so I set them to 100% manually.
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 1:35:00 PM

Not really.The only downside to it is it wears down the fans faster.But they have a lifespan of about 2-5years,depending.At 100% fan speed I would say the shorter end of the lifespan so about 2 years at max.
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 2:00:23 PM

aside from the life span, how would you live with that much noise level 24/7 ?
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 2:36:06 PM

I have for the past 10 months.Once you get used to the same noise you start to get used to it.I think of it as that's the sound of high airflow/high performance,lol.
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 4:40:25 PM

i bought the sentry 2 and gave up 2 bays in order to live in quite gaming world, nowadays i'm planing to light up the case in red and make it as hell xD
September 22, 2011 10:19:51 PM

ilysaml said:
aside from the life span, how would you live with that much noise level 24/7 ?

I actually find it easier than having them low. If they're low you constantly hear your computer doing stuff, fans going up / down.. it's distracting to me. If you have the constant noise of fans, you eventually just block it out and no other sounds from your PC will be louder than 2x 100% fans.
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 10:21:52 PM

you already know what's the best for you, just do it and stop asking so many questions :p 
September 22, 2011 10:29:45 PM

ilysaml said:
you already know what's the best for you, just do it and stop asking so many questions :p 

I stopped asking questions like.. 1 post ago! :p  Anyway, thanks everyone, last post here unless something goes wrong =)
September 22, 2011 10:51:31 PM

Sorry if I double up but I confess I started skimming towards the end.

Anyway I built a similar rig on a P6T and had the same problem, in fact furmark hit 99 degrees in < 1 min .

It's a combination of a motherboard than places the two cards side by side and (in my case) graphics cards that vent into the case, the lower card heats the air, the upper one draws in the already hot air and tries to cool with it.

I ended up building a new SB based PC on a board with better spacing and the temperature drop was dramatic, around 20~30 degrees and furmark maxs at around 78 now.

Prior to that I tried every case fan combo I could without much luck, only an extremely loud high airflow side fan was able to make any difference by forcing cool air between the cards and then not much.

Since then I have abandoned SLI as more trouble than it's worth and am slightly disgusted to discover all my games run at 1080P much the same on a single GTX 460 as they did on two. It is working harder as you can hear the fan more often now, but the system is more stable which was the goal.

A 570 is slightly slower overall than 2 460's but has none of the SLI hassles and does actually match the performance in many titles.

I run dual 1080P monitors and it doesn't seem to make any difference to gaming on a single card. I do recall reading that Nvidia cards have a problem running two different resolutions at the same time though, don't remember what the issue was.
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2011 4:37:09 AM

aight, i'm the type of person to put every cent i can into making my machine run faster. I don't mind the hassles of sli/cf and i just mod my case if heat or space is an issue.

Basically, ur upgrade doesn't make sense to me but i guess i'm not you. I also couldn't stand 100% fan speed.

Anyway, the 570 is a great card, but you HAVE to sell those 460s. Ebay, craiglist, wtvr. just get some of your money back. They're not broken cards, they just don't have enough room between them/your case isn't sufficient for two power hungry cards.
September 26, 2011 11:40:36 AM

slicedtoad said:
aight, i'm the type of person to put every cent i can into making my machine run faster. I don't mind the hassles of sli/cf and i just mod my case if heat or space is an issue.

Basically, ur upgrade doesn't make sense to me but i guess i'm not you. I also couldn't stand 100% fan speed.

Anyway, the 570 is a great card, but you HAVE to sell those 460s. Ebay, craiglist, wtvr. just get some of your money back. They're not broken cards, they just don't have enough room between them/your case isn't sufficient for two power hungry cards.

I'm 99% sure it's my Mobo that was the problem, because my graphics cards are way too close. I'm getting a 580, and will be attempting to SLI it with one of my 460's (not sure if it's possible or not) to test the temp with 3 extra fans. If it's still too hot, i'll be sticking with just my 580, which is probably what's going to happen.

The only other real solution would be to buy a new mobo so that the cards actually have some space between them, atleast this way i'll be able to upgrade in the future if needed by SLI'ing and getting a new mobo. If I manage to sell both of my 460's I think I could get.. atleast £40 each. That'd be £80 total, which means I would have only spent £300 on my 580, seems pretty decent to me. :) 
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2011 12:14:24 AM

the 580 is the best card out there (excluding dual gpu cards). You should be very happy with it. sli with different cards isn't supported and will be very unlikely to work. i suppose you could use one for physx though.

Also, try to sell those cards at more than 40 euros. A new 2gb 460 sells for over $200US. i'd expect about 50% of that for your 10 month old cards. That's 100US or 73euro. I could be off a bit, but 40 sounds a bit low (i would buy them in an instant at that price if i didn't live in Canada).

Lastly, try to put the second 460 in the third mobo slot. it'll run at x16/x8 which is perfectly fine for 460s. See if it makes much of a difference in temp.
September 27, 2011 8:30:11 AM

slicedtoad said:
the 580 is the best card out there (excluding dual gpu cards). You should be very happy with it. sli with different cards isn't supported and will be very unlikely to work. i suppose you could use one for physx though.

Also, try to sell those cards at more than 40 euros. A new 2gb 460 sells for over $200US. i'd expect about 50% of that for your 10 month old cards. That's 100US or 73euro. I could be off a bit, but 40 sounds a bit low (i would buy them in an instant at that price if i didn't live in Canada).

Lastly, try to put the second 460 in the third mobo slot. it'll run at x16/x8 which is perfectly fine for 460s. See if it makes much of a difference in temp.

Yeah using the other for PhysX is what I was going to do. It's actually £40 (GBP, not euros) - The cheapest I can find the cards New is £111, so £40-60 is probably all I can get for them.

I'm no good with hardware, I just get someone I know to do it for me. Though from what I can see, my mobo doesn't have a 3rd GPU slot. My mobo is listed in the first post, any chance you could point out which 2 (3?) are my GPU slots if you can? No one else has ever mentioned a 3rd GPU slot. :o 
!