Micro atx mobo with built in graphics

lesshaste

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I have an antec aria case (http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/Micro+ATX/Antec+Aria+Micro+ATX+Case+300W?productId=14945) which I would like to keep but am looking to replace my very old mobo.

The case only fits micro atx. I have no budget for separate graphics cards either, even if they could fit and I am not a gamer. I would however like as powerful computer as possible as I do some scientific computing at home.

What would people recommend? Does http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#ov make sense and what about the CPU options?

lesshaste

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Yes absolutely I would like to replace both. I don't have fixed ideas on AMD versus Intel but I suppose would just like the max processing power for my money. My budget can stretch to a few hundred pounds for the mobo/cpu and RAM combination.

I'll come up with an AMD option in a bit (a little harder for your needs) but this is the most powerful options I could throw together within a reasonable price (IMO)
CPU: Intel i7 3770 at AriaPC for 215.50
MOBO: MSI H77MA-G43 at Scan.co.uk for 56.12
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz at AmazonUK 40.50
Total: 312.12
The problem I'm having for the AMD build is the i7 3770 just outclasses everything AMD has to offer, I feel as though I'm compromising and not getting the value I'm looking for... I'll get something to propose though

lesshaste

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Thanks! This might be obvious but will it be ok with the 300W power supply or would it need more?

^ A valid question but I'm taking all that into consideration to try and ensure you don't have to get anything other than the ram/mobo/CPU. If there is any variation, such as additional power needs, I'll include that info
Which brings me to another possible issue I hadn't previously considered... are your current drives (hard and optical) IDE or SATA?

lesshaste

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I am embarrassed to say I can't remember. The DVD drive is this one http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=14268 and I think it is IDE.

For the hard drive hdparm -I /dev/sda gives me

/dev/sda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: SAMSUNG SP2004C
Serial Number: S07GJ10Y513741
Firmware Revision: VM100-33
Standards:
Used: ATA/ATAPI-7 T13 1532D revision 4a
Supported: 7 6 5 4
[...]

Okay, that would be IDE which is being phased out as an interface, in fact if wanting to keep your IDE hardware, AMD may prove to be easier. It'll take a little more time to get that into the works...
As a side note, a SATA DVD/CD burner costs very little, HDD's aren't too outrageously expensive either

lesshaste

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I think I may just have to swallow upgrading those too. This does however make my budget for the mobo/cpu/memory a little tighter I suppose.

One more thing you may not have taken into account... an Operating System. Except for the full retail version, the OS (if Microsoft) is tied to the motherboard, so upgrading the motherboard also requires a new license (new OS). Linux is of course free...

lesshaste

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Thanks again. I am a linux person so that should be OK.

I see the AMD is 8-core (!) but the motherboard doesn't have a great graphics card. That's probably the right compromise for me. I may just go for this combination. I assume I don't have to buy a separate CPU heat sink or fan?

lesshaste

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Purchased. Thanks for your help!

lesshaste

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

My setup worked well but just died. When I start the computer, although the fan starts up I don't get anything on the monitor at all and I don't think the hard drive starts up for example. I asked online and someone mentioned the cpu is not on the supported list at http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE%20FX/?cat=CPU . Do you think that could have made it fail after so many months?

TRENDING THREADS