Motherboard for Phenom X4 (need help please)

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Hello. I am planning on buying a new motherboard, processor and ram. I've decided to buy a phenom X4 965 BE because it seems great for the price ($85) But i'm having a lot of trouble finding the right motherboard or this CPU.

I'm looking to spend as little as possible without compromising a whole lot. I will be using only one graphics card and 2X4GB Ram but would like to have the option to overclock the processor.

Here are two motherboards im curious about:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130657

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67762&vpn=970A-G46&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar

I was wondering what i would gain if i chose the 970 board over 760? And can i overclock the phenom X4 on the 760 Board? If i can would it not be as good as the 970? I'm just not sure what the differences are if you have any insight on this i would really appreciate it.

brayvinn

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Out of those two, I suggest the 970, more RAM slots and another PCIe slot for future upgrades. Both sockets will fit your CPU, the overclocking ability of two probably wont be very special judging by the price range. If the processor is a "black edition" the multiplier is unlocked, so it just makes overclocking easier.

I'm not expert at anything. Just some basic advice.

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Ok thanks but i'm not going to be using more than 2X4GB of ram (maybe one day 2X8GB but i doubt it) and i will be using just one video card and if i do upgrade it one day i won't be buying two of the same cards for crossfire/SLI it would be just one powerful card because you don't get twice the performance with two cards.

I would feel safe saying the more expensive board is better than the cheaper one despite not really knowing why other than it's more expensive and should be better. I just want to know if its worth spending more and if i need the more expensive board given my circumstances.

brayvinn

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

It all comes down to what you want to spend, I assume the more expensive board is made with more quality components, it will last longer, and has more features in the BIOS. I'm just assuming though. I still suggest the more expensive motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS