Unrecognised

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Cheap PSU's are usually very 'crap', and not really the Wattage that has been stated. For example, your so called '700W' PSU, may just be pushing 400W, thus being Very inefficient. I wouldn't use this PSU with that build, since it could damage them once a fault occurs. You rather opt for something like a Corsair, XFX, etc;. Also, I don't recommend that CPU. Rather put a few extra quid to the table, and opt for the i5-2500K. Or if your on a super tight budget, even the i3-2100 will be certainly better.

hakestom

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Thanks for the reply , I take into account the advice you have given me when ~I get round to buying the gpu .

However I disagree with your comments about the cpu( You do realise I have already built this its just the gpu I need ?) In a power to price ratio the amd fx6100 outperforms both the i5 and the higher i3 models and scores high in reliability although its a relatively new model .

Anyway , back to the psu Have you had any experience with ocz ?I found a psu that looks to be good value / quality made by them .

Thanks!

Unrecognised

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
OCZ isn't much of a great brand for PSU's. I'd suggest seasonic or XFX, or the newer Corsairs since they too are made my seasonic, as does XFX. (OEM).

Concerning the CPU, even though it's a 6 core, has 2MB more cache and controls higher speed memory, it still isn't quite a match for the i5-2500K.
Scroll down to the Benchmarks here: http://compare-processors.com/amd-fx-6100-vs-core-i5-2500k/2325/

On the build get a 890/990X chipset motherboard, lose the FX 6100 worse gaming performance than the 4100 and a higher draw for a pseudo hex core lite.

That build isn't going to have such a high drain a solid 550W is sufficient while 650W would be copious.

=========================================================================
PSU:

Corsair:

I would look at the TX650 or TX750 (Bronze) or the GS600 or GS700. The HX and AX series are modular PSU's higher efficiency ratings but at a great cost, if you can afford them great, if not you don't really need more.

ANTEC:

Look at the TruePower New series, unfortunately it starts at 750w but is semi-modular and not too pricy, if you have cash then look at the High Current Professional series gold efficiency PSU's (750 up)

SeaSonic:

X Series, however if you are outside of North America you may have the same issue as I, you only get a 1 year + 1 extension Warranty. Also a lot of money.

XFX:

If you can find them also good, also pricy.

Coolermaster:

GX550W is solid for a single mid range card build with enough headroom for overclocking. the silent hybrid pro series is nice and comes with a fan controller unit.

Silverstone, Thermaltake and Roswill have a few solid units too.