Sign in with
Your question

Help With Picking a Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
December 25, 2012 11:30:28 PM

Canada Computers is having a Boxing Day sale just in time for my first time building a new computer. Most of my choices have been decided, such as i5 3570k, Geforce 670, etc. However I am still up in their for the motherboard. They have a few sales going on, I need help picking one.

The sale: http://www.canadacomputers.com/BoxingDay2012/

Some of the ones I am looking at:

-Asus P8Z77-V LK: $89.99
-AsRock Z77 Extreme4: $114.99
-Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H: $124.99
-Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5: $174.99 (the most expensive I am looking at so also whether the price is worth it).

More about : picking motherboard

December 26, 2012 1:56:29 AM

Also, this is a computer I plan to keep for a number of years with occasional upgrades along the way. So the one that will stay useful the longest is also something important.
m
l
December 26, 2012 2:03:18 AM

Intel has gotten into a habit of switching sockets with every generation of CPU. It's part of the reason PC sales have dropped. Keeping the same PC over the years means keeping the same Processor and Motherboard. Seeing as you'll be keeping it, the question arises: do you think 2 years before your next build that the Hyper Threading in the 3770k will make it worth buying now instead of the 3570k?

When it comes to longevity, unless the motherboard has more RAM slots, or more PCIe slots, there isn't much of a difference. Do you plan on overclocking the CPU ever? If not, you could aim cheaper.
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2012 2:09:14 AM

Maybe overclocking, it isn't a really important thing. So yeah probably less relevant for my choice, though still a theoretical in the future.

I guess yeah in general just what is the best for my money. Would the $89.99 vs. $174.99 have any real noticeable difference both at the start and say playing a new game in a year or two with my current hardware.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2012 4:37:10 AM

Between those boards, Asus is the best bang for the buck as the more important things which MasterMace mentioned (expansion in terms of RAM, GPU and Hard drive) are same for each of those boards. Do check if the below MSI mobo is available as well as on newegg it is the most cost effective board with all the features that are there on that Asus.
The MSI board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-130-...
Now for $175 for the UD5H you get one extra PCIE 3.0 x 16 port but you can go for a full 4 way cfx or SLI with 2 dual GPU cards so I personally do not think it'll make a difference. The second thing you get are 3 extra SATA 6 Gb/s ports but going raid would only still utilize 6 drives (2x SATA 6 gb/s and 4x SATA 3gb/s) That is same as the RAID you can set up with the other cheaper boards. And rarely do some of us go out buying 9 HDD's. So i would suggest sticking with ASUS. UD5H might not be the best choice for you.
good luck and happy building
-Satyam
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2012 4:51:31 AM

If you're not overclocking then get the Asus board. Most of the features of more expensive boards are geared towards overclocking (and CrossfireX, SLI).
m
l
December 26, 2012 7:28:04 PM

I ended up getting the Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H because the Asus when I got to the store was out of stock. I actually didn't end up getting exactly what I planned to for any of the stuff I was getting.

Instead of a gigabyte geforce 670 I got a MSI Nvidia Geforce 670-PM2D2GD5/OC and instead of a i-13570k got the regular i-13570 (the guy at Canada Computers said if I am not overclocking don't need to get the k).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2012 9:49:43 AM

Fallen_Seraph said:
I ended up getting the Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H because the Asus when I got to the store was out of stock. I actually didn't end up getting exactly what I planned to for any of the stuff I was getting.

Instead of a gigabyte geforce 670 I got a MSI Nvidia Geforce 670-PM2D2GD5/OC and instead of a i-13570k got the regular i-13570 (the guy at Canada Computers said if I am not overclocking don't need to get the k).

thats a great system! and yes if you don't plan on OC'ing then why pay that premium.
enjoy building your computer
good luck
m
l
!