Can my kids share a computer?

Hello,
I have an odd question. I have 2 girls who share a room. My question is this: Is it possible to hook up 2 mice, 2keyboards & 2 monitors on 1 computer to do 2 things? This way they could both go online or do "their stuff" at the same time?
15 answers Last reply
More about kids share computer
  1. You got me there... I'm not sure that's entirely possible. If you got a splitter with two monitors and keyboards, you could only still use about one thing at a time. If you use an Eyefinity setup you can run things on multiple monitors but only one keyboard and mouse will control everything.

Alternately you could set up a central, low cost central server and use low-cost Mini ITX terminals as the base for your setup - that's how most department stores and small businesses run things.
  2. Unfortunately I don't think what you are looking for is possible, and if it was possible it would be cheaper just to buy a second computer so your girls can have one each.

Also its not a good idea to post your email address on forums.
  3. g-unit1111 said:
    You got me there... I'm not sure that's entirely possible. If you got a splitter with two monitors and keyboards, you could only still use about one thing at a time. If you use an Eyefinity setup you can run things on multiple monitors but only one keyboard and mouse will control everything.

Alternately you could set up a central, low cost central server and use low-cost Mini ITX terminals as the base for your setup - that's how most department stores and small businesses run things.

Yeah real great advice bud :sarcastic: , for the price that would cost she would be better off just buying another computer.
  4. Gothams Finest said:
    Yeah real great advice bud :sarcastic: , for the price that would cost she would be better off just buying another computer.

I'm totally clueless as to how this would work... I was just throwing suggestions out there. :lol:
  5. I was thinking about a KVM switch, but realized it was basically the opposite of a KVM switch so I looked into it and found this.

http://www.gdsys.de/en/products/kvm-sharing/usercenter/tabcontent/

I think this is the solution you are looking for.
  6. dalmvern, I suspect that will also cost more than another computer also.

:hello: brokemom. Welcome to the forums.

Please do not post your email address in a open forum. We will use the forums to reply to each other. If you wish to contact an individual, you can click on the green envelope to send a Private Message (PM).
  7. Yes, there is a way to do this, grab VMware and put xp on it, then dedicate about half the resources to the vmwared machine, tie each mouse/keyboard seperately (eg: 1 keyboard + mouse to main, and the other set to the vmwared machine)

:) easy... however, vmware is just for doing basic things like searching the web, it even has troubles playing minecraft, you also do need 2 monitors
  8. you could do the vmware solution, but it would require you to purchase 1 or more thin clients... you can't plug two mice keyboards etc in and have one input for vm and one for the host system...
  9. Yes you can, I have done this almost daily for about 5 months now, me and my nephew play minecraft (although a tad laggy)

Edit: although the host can control the vmwared machine if he/she wishes
  10. slhpss said:
    you could do the vmware solution, but it would require you to purchase 1 or more thin clients... you can't plug two mice keyboards etc in and have one input for vm and one for the host system...

That's kind of what I was trying to suggest - but if you add anything up you could buy a couple of $250 - $300 discounted laptops or netbooks for that.
  11. brokemom said:
    Hello,
    I have an odd question. I have 2 girls who share a room. My question is this: Is it possible to hook up 2 mice, 2keyboards & 2 monitors on 1 computer to do 2 things? This way they could both go online or do "their stuff" at the same time?

Thanks to everyone...I guess it was wishful thinking! Thanks for your input & time!
  12. Yes, this would be possible on a Linux system AFAIK.
  13. brokemom said:
    Hello,

Yes, both kids can use the same computer at the same time!
    SoftXpand Duo 2011 is a piece of software that allows that.
    You can download it from here: http://www.shareAcomputer.com
    Enjoy!
  14. Heres another program like that, but with a free trial
    http://international.ibik-soft.com/
    Moto
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Mice Computer Monitors Systems