Can my kids share a computer?

brokemom

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hello,
I have an odd question. I have 2 girls who share a room. My question is this: Is it possible to hook up 2 mice, 2keyboards & 2 monitors on 1 computer to do 2 things? This way they could both go online or do "their stuff" at the same time?

g-unit1111

Titan
You got me there... I'm not sure that's entirely possible. If you got a splitter with two monitors and keyboards, you could only still use about one thing at a time. If you use an Eyefinity setup you can run things on multiple monitors but only one keyboard and mouse will control everything.

Alternately you could set up a central, low cost central server and use low-cost Mini ITX terminals as the base for your setup - that's how most department stores and small businesses run things.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Unfortunately I don't think what you are looking for is possible, and if it was possible it would be cheaper just to buy a second computer so your girls can have one each.

Also its not a good idea to post your email address on forums.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Yeah real great advice bud :sarcastic: , for the price that would cost she would be better off just buying another computer.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I was thinking about a KVM switch, but realized it was basically the opposite of a KVM switch so I looked into it and found this.

http://www.gdsys.de/en/products/kvm-sharing/usercenter/tabcontent/

I think this is the solution you are looking for.

dalmvern, I suspect that will also cost more than another computer also.

:hello: brokemom. Welcome to the forums.

Please do not post your email address in a open forum. We will use the forums to reply to each other. If you wish to contact an individual, you can click on the green envelope to send a Private Message (PM).

Yes, there is a way to do this, grab VMware and put xp on it, then dedicate about half the resources to the vmwared machine, tie each mouse/keyboard seperately (eg: 1 keyboard + mouse to main, and the other set to the vmwared machine)

:) easy... however, vmware is just for doing basic things like searching the web, it even has troubles playing minecraft, you also do need 2 monitors

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
you could do the vmware solution, but it would require you to purchase 1 or more thin clients... you can't plug two mice keyboards etc in and have one input for vm and one for the host system...

g-unit1111

Titan

That's kind of what I was trying to suggest - but if you add anything up you could buy a couple of $250 - $300 discounted laptops or netbooks for that.

brokemom

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

Thanks to everyone...I guess it was wishful thinking! Thanks for your input & time!

go_tkg

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Yes, both kids can use the same computer at the same time!
SoftXpand Duo 2011 is a piece of software that allows that.
You can download it from here: http://www.shareAcomputer.com
Enjoy!