Current system dilemma

Jojocalypso77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
So I've had this gaming pc up and running since Septermber 2008 and I'm considering upgrading it. One reason is that there seems to be a huge bottleneck somewhere in its performance. To summarize the problems: In World of Warcraft I've been getting framerates of less than 7 when standing around in Dalaran, on and off of peak gaming hours, while getting 40+ flying around the rest of the game. Also my frame rates drop dramatically during large boss encounters and massive particle and graphical effects. So it sounds like there's a graphics card incompatablity happening somewhere, but could it also be a motherboard/cpu incompatability? Here's the specs:

AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor
ASUS M2N-E AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
Rosewill RD550N-2DC-SL-SLV 550W 12V V2.2 / SSI standard EPS 12V Power Supply
NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Open Window
nVidia GeForce 9600 GT video card
4 gigs of DDR2 memory

Could an AM2+ CPU on an AM2 motherboard be the problem? Are there other compatability issues I'm not thinking of?

I've been considering upgrading my system anyway, and I was hoping for some feedback on where to start. If the motherboard is indeed the problem, and upgrading it critical, do I go to an AM2+ for the compatability or jump to AM3 and starting rebuilting from there?

Basically I want a powerful, reliable gaming machine, and if my current setup (minus mobo) is sufficient to run a game like WoW on medium to high settings, then I'd rather not upgrade everything. Thanks for any help/advice!

Solution
The Phenom 9600 is a Phenom 1 and they are bad processors that contained an error manufactured in to them [ TLB error ...google it ] . Its almost certainly the limiting factor .

If you are going to stick with AMD and want a budget build then jump straight to AM3+ and leave everything behind except your case
The Phenom 9600 is a Phenom 1 and they are bad processors that contained an error manufactured in to them [ TLB error ...google it ] . Its almost certainly the limiting factor .

If you are going to stick with AMD and want a budget build then jump straight to AM3+ and leave everything behind except your case

Solution