Sign in with
Your question

Worried, pc gets quite hot!

Last response: in Components
February 19, 2012 2:14:04 PM

Yesterday I went out to buy a new graphics card to replace my ATI radeon HD 5450, Looked around the shops and bought a PNY Geforce GTX 550 Ti also a antec 25 550w PSU (old one was 250w). I have now put them both into my pc, now when ever I play a game for about 20 minutes the heat of my graphics card goes to 75 degrees centigrade and cpu core 1 is always around 80%+ and core 4 45%+. I have a fan on the graphics card, on top of the cpu, and I'm not sure but I think there is one on the bottom of the psu.

System specs:
Packard Bell ixtreme M5800 (case) (practicly stock except the graphics card and psu)
Intel quad core i5 650 @3.20ghz
3GB samsung DDR3/5 Ram
PNY Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5
Antec 25 VP550P 550w

Any help will be really appreciated.

More about : worried hot

a c 173 U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 2:51:14 PM

75c isn't as hot as some but not good, chances that it is likely an air flow issue being that it is an oem build.
February 19, 2012 3:00:44 PM

There is 2 wooden sides from my desk on either side and a wall about 3" behind it but I have moved it to the right so there is more room for air to pass through the side with holes in it. Would the best thing be to buy a proper fan and put it inside if there is room?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 3:11:17 PM

nvidia are good to 90C+ my gtx 470 runs at 80C constantly when gaming, with no troubles. GPU's run hotter than CPU's and thats ok. check the nvidia website for details on your GPU, it should show a max temp on there at which point it will start throttling.

edit: for the 550ti its 100C, http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-550ti/...
February 19, 2012 3:16:38 PM

13thmonkey said:
nvidia are good to 90C+ my gtx 470 runs at 80C constantly when gaming, with no troubles. GPU's run hotter than CPU's and thats ok. check the nvidia website for details on your GPU, it should show a max temp on there at which point it will start throttling.

edit: for the 550ti its 100C, http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-550ti/...

Ok thanks, 2 more questions. Should my cpu be fine running like that aswell? Should my pc case be very warm?
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 3:22:12 PM

cpu running at percentages loads like that is fine.

However, you may find that your temps start to climb if you game for a long period if you have no case ventilation as your components (PSU included) use the air inside the case to cool themselves. So if you have a case with no fans pushing air into the case or pulling air from it then you're at risk of overheating with extended use or in the summer.

Do you have any spaces to mount fans, at least 1 entry fan is recommended, as both the PSU and the GPU will be extracting air, so something to replace that will help.

My system idles at 35C idle and goes up to 40C at load but I have taken steps to stop it around there.
February 19, 2012 3:35:11 PM

13thmonkey said:

However, you may find that your temps start to climb if you game for a long period if you have no case ventilation as your components (PSU included) use the air inside the case to cool themselves. So if you have a case with no fans pushing air into the case or pulling air from it then you're at risk of overheating with extended use or in the summer.

Do you have any spaces to mount fans, at least 1 entry fan is recommended, as both the PSU and the GPU will be extracting air, so something to replace that will help.

My system idles at 35C idle and goes up to 40C at load but I have taken steps to stop it around there.

On the side panel there is a quite big area that has circles cut out and about 2-3" is the cpu fan but it has a cylinder on it that takes up quite a lot of room so I can't really put one on that panel, I can't think of where I could put a fan inside the pc (I don't open it that often) I could take a picture of the inside of the case maybe later today or tomorrow so you can see what the case is like and help me decide what is best.
February 19, 2012 3:39:05 PM

13thmonkey said:

This is my 1st time doing anything to the insides of a pc so I know very little.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 3:50:19 PM

it sounded like it, you did the right thing by getting a better psu, else we'd be having you here asking why it doesn't start any more.

There may (hopefully) be a grille on the front of the case behind the front panel. I'd ignore your side mounting for now.

Picture of the inside from the rear towards the front would be useful. so that I can see the inside of the front panel.

February 19, 2012 3:58:03 PM

13thmonkey said:
it sounded like it, you did the right thing by getting a better psu, else we'd be having you here asking why it doesn't start any more.

There may (hopefully) be a grille on the front of the case behind the front panel. I'd ignore your side mounting for now.

Picture of the inside from the rear towards the front would be useful. so that I can see the inside of the front panel.

Ok thank you I really appreciate your help, I'll make sure I can get the pictures sometime tomorrow when I have more time.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 4:05:57 PM

look at some case reviews to get an idea of what you are looking for
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 4:19:13 PM

http://newsonit.blogspot.com/2009/07/packard-bell-intro...
Is that your computer?

It looks like you do not have a fan space in front. Perhaps look into getting a fan for the back (likely an 80 or 120mm fan, but I cannot find a pic of the back) so that you can exhaust some more air, and pull more fresh air in the front and through those side holes and that will bring the temps down.

Computers do not like being in enclosed spaces. Run this thing on top of a desk, or on the floor outside of the cabinet and things will settle down. Keep the back of the computer at least 8-10 inches from any walls or obstructions, keep your cables neat and lying flat on the floor so that they do not obstruct airflow, and make sure you have 3-5 inches on the side where the intake holes are, and that it is not positioned in such a way so that hot air is not being pushed out the back and then getting sucked back in the side.

As others have said, the GPU is good to 100*c, but you do not want it that hot all the time. Somewhere in the 50-60*c is probably healthier for the GPU, and the CPU should be near 35-50*c (but even the CPU would be fine up near 80*c). If you can get it some more fresh air then it will keep things cooler at lower fan speeds, and then it will sound a bit quieter as well.
February 19, 2012 4:55:28 PM

CaedenV said:
Is that your computer?

It looks like you do not have a fan space in front. Perhaps look into getting a fan for the back (likely an 80 or 120mm fan, but I cannot find a pic of the back) so that you can exhaust some more air, and pull more fresh air in the front and through those side holes and that will bring the temps down.

Computers do not like being in enclosed spaces. Run this thing on top of a desk, or on the floor outside of the cabinet and things will settle down. Keep the back of the computer at least 8-10 inches from any walls or obstructions, keep your cables neat and lying flat on the floor so that they do not obstruct airflow, and make sure you have 3-5 inches on the side where the intake holes are, and that it is not positioned in such a way so that hot air is not being pushed out the back and then getting sucked back in the side.

As others have said, the GPU is good to 100*c, but you do not want it that hot all the time. Somewhere in the 50-60*c is probably healthier for the GPU, and the CPU should be near 35-50*c (but even the CPU would be fine up near 80*c). If you can get it some more fresh air then it will keep things cooler at lower fan speeds, and then it will sound a bit quieter as well.

Yes that is what my pc looks like. Also I got some pictures back, inside, front and where my pc is postitoned. Where would you like me to upload them to?
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 5:02:45 PM

imageshack?
February 19, 2012 5:05:20 PM

CaedenV said:
Is that your computer?

Here are the pictures: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/img20120219184...
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 5:21:01 PM

looking at the image the front panel breaks into three segments, starting from the left, the ODD and HDD bays, the middle section (looks like a HDD bay) and the right section (under what looks like a HDD bay).

You could fit a couple of small fans (60-80mm) in the right hand section, but they would be noisy.

Could you remove the drive bay from the middle section and fit a 120mm there?
February 19, 2012 5:23:16 PM

13thmonkey said:
looking at the image the front panel breaks into three segments, starting from the left, the ODD and HDD bays, the middle section (looks like a HDD bay) and the right section (under what looks like a HDD bay).

You could fit a couple of small fans (60-80mm) in the right hand section, but they would be noisy.

Could you remove the drive bay from the middle section and fit a 120mm there?

The spare space for CD drive is all one thing.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 5:37:40 PM

so the left hand section and the middle section cannot be separated (even using a bit of ommph?)

You do see that there are three sections? in the photo the middle section is just above the big upside down U in the braided cable.
February 19, 2012 5:49:04 PM

13thmonkey said:
so the left hand section and the middle section cannot be separated (even using a bit of ommph?)

You do see that there are three sections? in the photo the middle section is just above the big upside down U in the braided cable.

The section that is touching the netted wire is connected to my HDD and the part just above can be unscrewed from the HDD section but it will still be attached to the CD drive section right at the top.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 5:58:31 PM

Oh my me, that is a teeny wee case :p 
it looks like you need one of two things, either a new case, or an introduction to modding, I vote for the modding personally,
how are you for tools?
and that cubby is similar in size to my other halfs Pc's home, we can sort this with a little spit and vim
Gf's build log so you can see her desk
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

as long as you are prepared for some tactical drilling you will be fine, even with that case
Moto
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:02:32 PM

can you fit the hdd into the odd section and then removed the current HDD tray.

Can you post a new image with some indications as to what can and cannot be removed drawn on it, just so that we are sure we are talking about the same bits.
February 19, 2012 6:03:22 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Oh my me, that is a teeny wee case :p 
it looks like you need one of two things, either a new case, or an introduction to modding, I vote for the modding personally,
how are you for tools?
and that cubby is similar in size to my other halfs Pc's home, we can sort this with a little spit and vim
Gf's build log so you can see her desk
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

as long as you are prepared for some tactical drilling you will be fine, even with that case
Moto

I think I'm just going to get a case from x-case for around £35 but for now I'll have to have short gaming periods to make sure nothing bad happens. or get a external fan to blow air inside :p 
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:04:26 PM

hi moto, I was thinking new case myself, or ripping out the HDD tray so that you can put a 120mm in there, not sure whats behind it though.
He could put a hole in bottom front of the side panel for a 120.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:05:40 PM

That case I got her was about £15 for two :p  sold the other one on egay after a bit of modding so hers was free hehe
new case is probably easiest option though, :) 
Moto
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:07:42 PM

axalgrave said:
I think I'm just going to get a case from x-case for around £35 but for now I'll have to have short gaming periods to make sure nothing bad happens. or get a external fan to blow air inside :p 

you aren't in too bad a position right now, so I wouldn't be too concerned unless you're doing 3-4 hour sessions.

if you are thinking new case then 120mm fans are a must, at least one in front and one in back, more in front if you can get it. Beyond a PSU the case is the other part of the foundation because of cooling.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:36:08 PM

Only issue you may run into is the graphics card, although most cases these days allow for larger cards, but otherwise any of them is fine, just don't get the Psu included, your antec is fine
Moto
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:39:26 PM

It'll fit, its fugly, but it'll fit and thats your choice.
February 19, 2012 6:42:03 PM

Thank you both for all your help, If I get any problems I'll be sure to come back to this website. :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 6:45:54 PM

No worries, just pay attention on the build, remember the standoffs between the mobo and the backplane, and if you've fitted a psu, then you'll be fine.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2012 7:57:47 PM

Yup ,check out the buildguide at the top of the homebuild section as well, plenty of tips in there too
Moto
!