Status
Not open for further replies.

simonb530

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
What would be the minimum requirements for an HTPC?

The pc would be streaming movies from another computer using XBMC Live and I would like to play older game systems (GBA,NES,SNES,SEGA,N64,PS1,Gamecube, and maybe XBOX and PS2). I just need to know what cpu size (dual, quad - speed) and if an intergated graphics card would handle it or if i need a seperate GPU. Ram i'm not too worried about 8gb of ram pretty cheap. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would like to keep the budget around $350 excluding an optic drive, and HDD.

Solution
A dual-core chip is fine for an HTPC. The Pentium G620 is a low-cost CPU and has integrated graphics onboard. If you want something that can bitstream too, go for an AMD Llano CPU (only really important for a home theatre set up with an amp). You don't need to have discrete graphics if you go down either of those routes. There's also the AMD E350...from what I understand, it would be fine for your purposes, but I dislike low-powered CPUs like that for probably not very justifiable reasons. ;)

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
A dual-core chip is fine for an HTPC. The Pentium G620 is a low-cost CPU and has integrated graphics onboard. If you want something that can bitstream too, go for an AMD Llano CPU (only really important for a home theatre set up with an amp). You don't need to have discrete graphics if you go down either of those routes. There's also the AMD E350...from what I understand, it would be fine for your purposes, but I dislike low-powered CPUs like that for probably not very justifiable reasons. ;)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.