Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel i3 2100 vs AMD A6 3650

Last response: in CPUs
February 19, 2012 3:07:52 PM

I am currently finalizing a custom build and would like to know which CPU/motherboard combo I should go with. I have it narrowed down to two choices, but I will take other suggestions.

Combo 1:
i3 2100 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JEVGMO/ref=ox_sc_a...
ASRock H67M http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Combo 2:
AMD A6-3650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASRock A75 PRO4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

First, I went with Intel but then my friend told me about AMD so now I am undecided lol. My main uses would be surfing the web and schoolwork with occasional gaming (Skyrim, COD, etc.) and overall multitasking. I want a computer that is fast, efficient, and quiet.

The rest of my build consists of:
Antec 300 Illusion Case
Antec 430D PSU
Samsung 830 SSD
LG 22x CD/DVD Burner
Gigabyte Radeon 6850 1 GB
2x4GB Patriot RAM
Windows 7 OS

New combinations would be appreciated, but I do not want to stray from the $180-240 range (CPU+mobo). Thanks!

More about : intel 2100 amd 3650

a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 19, 2012 3:39:34 PM

Hello kimisizer;

Benchmark testing comparisons between AMD A6-3650 & Intel Core i3 2100

What resolution is your monitor? And what kind of gaming experiance do you want?
Score
February 19, 2012 3:55:44 PM

My monitor is 1920x1080 and I want a non laggy, fluid gaming experience with the best possible graphics for my budget. I actually would like to run FSX (I have GeForce 9800 right now and it lags so much lol)
Score
Related resources
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 19, 2012 3:58:40 PM

And you'll probably want to run Microsoft Flight when it comes out at the end of the month.

How soon are you going to do the upgrade? It could be worth your time to wait 10 days or so and see the first performance testing reviews on MS Flight and use that to guide your CPU choice.
Score
February 19, 2012 4:18:57 PM

I would like to purchase today and being able to perform well on FSX is only a minor problem. But given these two choices which do you think is the better one or should I get another one altogether?
Score
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 5:58:41 PM

If you are going to do any gaming then the i3 is the best bet. The llano's are not gaming chips and will likely lag. Also once you are out of the hybrid crossfire territory on the APU's they pretty much become useless as they lack the performance of a gaming processor. Also a llano will lock you into a FM1 socket setup forever with no upgrade path. Avoid the llano's if you have any interest in gaming.
Score
February 19, 2012 8:28:30 PM

Thanks for all the answers.

Now I am planning to get the i3-2120 with a different mobo. How is this mobo? It was part of a combo deal with the i3-2120 so I thought it would be a good choice. It's a little more expensive but I think this is an important investment.

BIOSTAR TZ68A+ LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 4:05:01 AM

The Biostar is cheap and is a Z68 with a i3 it will be perfect. I have built a machine with that motherboard and it isn't all that bad a board.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 5:34:00 AM

are you planning to overclock?
Are you planning to use raid mode?
Are you planning to use more than 16gb of ram?
Are you planning to crossfire?
Score
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 5:59:47 AM

Ok the above posters are not telling you the whole truth.

Avoid Anandtech bench's, their user submitted with no context. A 3650 will crush an i3 210 in gaming, without a discrete GPU. With one it becomes "it depends". AMD does ACF, meaning the Llano can cross fire with certain GPU's to boost their performance. Research to see if that is the case with your selection.

If my 3530MX with a 6620G can game then your 3650 can game just fine. If your discrete GPU is a gaming GPU / upper mainstream GPU then go with the i3, but as your even considering an i3 / APU then you might be looking a budget card which would favor the APU.

APU's make sense in the following situations,

Mobile gaming (portable laptop)
HTPC (no discrete GPU needed)
Internet Kiosks (no discrete GPU needed)
Low end budget gaming (lower end discrete GPU used that can CF with APU)

Anything else would favor the Intel SB line, which includes pretty much the entire midrange to high end desktop platforms.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 6:29:39 AM

I did say if you plan on low cost gaming, sure the llano has better on board, but if you plan on serious gaming on the lower cost spectrum you will at least put in a discrete card. i3 + 6850 tonks the A6 with a 6850 hands down. Hybrid Crossfire only works with the requisite lowend gpu's which help not, if they are matched with similar mid-high level GPU's so as to avoid the bottleneck where games are cpu bound the i3 will run away, in gpu bound games it will still be better than the llano though pretty even. Anyways who buys a llano to put in a GPU anyways, its purpose is a cheap HTPC it is far from a gaming grunt.

Lack of level 3 cache and a genuinely low IPC makes the i3 a better build, plus you can upgrade the chip later, with the llano you are stuck on FM1 for good. If the OP wants to game seriously at lower cost/performance then the Llano is not the way to go onboard GPU's are by and large lame.
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 11:27:32 PM

sarinaide said:
I did say if you plan on low cost gaming, sure the llano has better on board, but if you plan on serious gaming on the lower cost spectrum you will at least put in a discrete card. i3 + 6850 tonks the A6 with a 6850 hands down. Hybrid Crossfire only works with the requisite lowend gpu's which help not, if they are matched with similar mid-high level GPU's so as to avoid the bottleneck where games are cpu bound the i3 will run away, in gpu bound games it will still be better than the llano though pretty even. Anyways who buys a llano to put in a GPU anyways, its purpose is a cheap HTPC it is far from a gaming grunt.

Lack of level 3 cache and a genuinely low IPC makes the i3 a better build, plus you can upgrade the chip later, with the llano you are stuck on FM1 for good. If the OP wants to game seriously at lower cost/performance then the Llano is not the way to go onboard GPU's are by and large lame.

I'm posting from experience, I happen to own a laptop with a 3530mx (technically it's my GF's as I gave it to her). There is no such thing as "serial gaming on low end..." because you run into a big issue of ... cost. Serious gaming *period* requires at least an upper mid-range GPU. That 3530mx latop was under $800 USD, and that's a notebook. A desktop platform can run $500~600 USD or less. The difference between the low end I3 and the APU is the level of GPU power. That APU is not BD, it's a K10.5 Stars core, so a modified Phenom II x4. Also be VERY careful when you start talking Cache. The SB has 256KB L2 per core, the APU's have 1MB per core. Phenom II x4's have 512MB L2 cache per core. That should put things into perspective.

Anyhow, the OP is using a Radeon 6850, there should be zero reason to such weak CPU's. Go with an i5-2400 at least if the 2500 / 2500K is out of your budget. Coupling such weak CPU's with an upper midrange GPU is usually a bad idea.

Score
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
February 21, 2012 2:49:43 AM

There is no need to buy a Z68 motherboard unless you are going to upgrade to a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU (limited April release, world wide release in June) that allows you to overclock; the Core i5 and i7 with the letter "K"

Non "K" i3/i5/i7 have limited overclocking capabilities; around 300MHz to 400MHz at best. When overclocking these CPUs you are basically doing it "old school" by increasing the frequency. Pushing it high can make your PC become unstable, and some things can stop working like the USB ports. Pushes too much and actual damage can occur.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 4:08:51 AM

palladin9479 said:
Anyhow, the OP is using a Radeon 6850, there should be zero reason to such weak CPU's. Go with an i5-2400 at least if the 2500 / 2500K is out of your budget. Coupling such weak CPU's with an upper midrange GPU is usually a bad idea.

1] He has a discrete mid level card, this makes the llano pointless.

2] True the llano is a quad but its IPC performance is less than older Athlon II X3/X4's, on pure computational power the i3 2100 is the far superior chip in this comparison, this site has already benchmarked the llano's performance retrospective ot other popular sub-200 chips and the i3 pretty much runs close enough to the 2500K @ 4GHZ and the 2400 with a HD7970. The i3 here destroys the more cores is better myopia.

3] If the OP can afford a 2400/2500K then yes, if it is a choice between the A6 and I3, the i3 wins without doubt.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 5:49:10 AM

I can see why Intel is holding off the i3 Ivy chips. Those things are going to fly.
Score
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 21, 2012 5:54:57 AM

I wouls get an asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 if possible.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 5:57:34 AM

amuffin said:
I wouls get an asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 if possible.

Are you a asrock rep Muffin? :) 
Score
February 24, 2012 12:01:59 AM

Best answer selected by kimisizer.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 24, 2012 12:32:16 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!