All my games are crashing to desktop

gordonboy15

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Recently all of my games are crashing to desktop with on the "this program as stop working" message. I have a evga Gtx 550ti phenom II x4 940 4 gigs of ram and a corsair 430watt. i dont know what to do ive tried different video drivers as well as cleaning the registry with ccleaner. I can only play for about 15 minutes before the crash and cpu never gets above 43c and cpu never gets above 60c. Any ideas on whats going on?

And of course you have the PCI-e 6pin power lead connected to the video card?

First guess was that it's either the PSU having an issue or video card acting up.
However, if it was the PSU - it should happen almost right away while gaming. Same for the video card. Why does it happen after 15min and not right away?

What games are you running?

Update your SOUND drivers as well.
Test your RAM with Memtest+.
If you restart a game, does it run for about the same length of time, or does it crash much more quickly? If the latter, heat may be involved, just not of the CPU or GPU. Your Northbridge may be heating up, or the PSU. Are your case fans balanced, with close to as many intakes as exhaust? If you have too many exhaust, your PSU may be struggling to cool itself. Does the PSU fan get loud before a crash, or is it hot to the touch?

gordonboy15

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
no the psu is really quiet but if i do a fresh system restart all the games run fine for a bit longer and yes all my games just recently started to act up when about hte time battle field came out