ASUS ENGTX TOP vs HD6850 ( stock )

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I m just curious to know how an ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU 1gb version would do when placed against a HD6850 @ stock settings .
I m interested to know this since i was planning to get a HD6850 but went with the GTX460 as guys in the forum suggested that getting any PCIe2.1 card might lead to some potential problems due to my PCIe x 16 slot in the mobo being an Gen1.x slot . This said , i could've easily got a HD 6870 for the money i spent on the GTX460 , but so far so good :love:

Thanks note : I would like to thank jyjjy , iam2thecrowe , king smp , robjordy , purplestank , mousemonkey , weezys_advocate for their inputs and helping me choose the GTX460 . You guys are awesome !!!

lozz08

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
460 wins out there for sure. Max oc'd 460 and 6850s are fairly even... 460 ahead pretty much all the time by just a little bit except at 2560x1600.

oc'd 460 vs stock 6850 is a no brainer in favour of the 460, but IMO not a fair comparison because both cards are so oc-able. ie. both my powercolor reference cards in crossfire are at 940/1200 with ease.

Of course that's just in terms of raw power the 6850 is more power efficient and such if you care.

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Fair enough. (ASUS ENGTX460 vs HD6850 - Just for the feel good factor )
I ran Furmark burn in test only for some seven and a half minutes and the GPU temp rose to 80'C , fan speed was 74% and the core voltage was 0.962V , GPU load 99 % , memory load 13 % . Idle temp was 38'C. What do you reckon from these values ?
Is there a possibility for these high temps in real world circumstancrs such as intensive gaming ?

lozz08

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
You'll never see temps that high during gaming. My fans need 75% to keep the temps at 55 delta t during furmark but they barely break 60% playing crysis maxed.

idle temp is fine. but my GTX460 (see sig) max temp is around 70+ when running furmark. 80c is still considered acceptable though. double check you case air flow

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
What are the demanding games that i can play with my rig @60fps @ med-high settings?

Here are my PC specs :

Core2Quad Q8200 @2.33 GHz
ASUS GTX 460 @ 775MHz @1000 MHz @1550 MHz
Intel DG35EC
Samsung Syncmaster 933SN @ 1360*768 @ 60 Hz

Thanks in advance ...

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

My case is designed for microatx mobos and evrything inside it seems cramped to a large extent . And, the only fan present in the rear panel of my case which i presume to be an exhaust fan doesn't help my cause . Should i add more fans to the case . I think at the max i can add about 2 fans .

EDIT : Here s a link to my cabinet if it helps
http://techshop.in/store/iball-international-designer-bullsi-computer-case-with-400w-buy-online-india-p-887.html

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Can you mention some real cool single person shooter/ racing games that my PC can run pretty smooth ??

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

I used to play COD MW2 on HD4350 . It never let me down and of course it delivered playable FPS. Is Dirt3 a good one ?

BTW when playing PES 11 @ 1360*768 the gpu records 51'C and the fan runs @ 22% . Is it fine ?

that's fine but i prefer to set the fan speed manually. about your case you can add one fan on the side as an intake. does your case have a slot for front intake fan? at your resolution GTX460 should be able max out most of the game out there except a few that really demanding on gpu such as crysis, metro and witcher 2. btw your processor at stock clock definitely bottlenecking the card. try to push it into 3.0ghz range if you can

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

How do i set the speed of the fan ? Are there any apps for that ?

Which size intake fan should i consider and what would be its cost ?

My case doesnot have a slot in the front for intake fan and how do i know if the only fan present in my rear panel of the case is an intake/exhaust one ?

I am a noob when it comes to OCing CPU and i have heard that my cpu is a very bad overclocker due to the very low multiplier value (x 7.0 ) and the fact that my motherboard is an intel DG35EC doesnt help this cause either . So OCing my CPU is out .

you can use MSI afterburner for that.

the fan size depends on the slot. normally the side and the front use 120mm fans but it depends on the case. about the cost it should be cheap though i can't quote the exact price.

normally the rear fan is used to exhaust the hot air out of your case. but if you want to make sure you can feel with your bare hand. you should be able to feel the air coming through out the fan.

about your cpu it seems you're quite stuck with it. maybe its time to start saving some money and get new platform

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Thanks man . Ill see to it that i download MSI afterburner . BTW does increasing the speed of the fan reduce the lifespan of the fan ??

it does if you leave it 100% at all times. but with MSI after burner you can set the fan curve in accordance to temperature. with my GTX460 i set the fan 60% at the max. when running furmark i got around 73c-75c max but that's because my case airflow help me moving the hot air inside the case. with open case (no airflow) the temp can reach near 80c

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

I guess its time to install a new intake fan . Should i install the fan outside the wiremesh on the side panel or inside of the side panel ? There is also an expansion slot for installing a fan at the rear panel of the cabinet directly below the fan that is already present . What would be my best bet ?

Thanks for your quick responses bro :)

normally people will install the fan inside the case. the mesh was acting as a dust filter.

There is also an expansion slot for installing a fan at the rear panel of the cabinet directly below the fan that is already present

do you mean there an empty slot for fan below the current one (on the rear case)? if it does i think you can install out take fan for it

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Yep , there is an empty slot for fixing a fan . But is it good to have a case with a single intake fan and two exhaust fans?
Yesterday , i read somewhere that it would help in intake of fresh air :pfff:

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
That was a great article BTW . I installed the ASUS Smart doc appl that came along with the video card and set the fan speed to 36 % by enabling smart cooling . Is it safe to set the fan at this speed ?

i think 36% might be fine with moderate load on gpu but uder full load i'm sure it is not enough to keep the gpu core to cool down properly. my gpu max temp is around 70c-73c under full load (furmark). that is with 60% of my fan speed. i'm not sure about smart doctor since i use MSI after burner but with msi after burner you can set set the fan curve so you don't have to worry about leaving the fan speed on high RPM even in idle since the software will throttle down the fan speed when the gpu core temperature has come down

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

My wild guess is that the smart doc is similar to MSI afterburner . Its got fan settings for four temperature ranges and the only drawback is that we cannot set the exact fanspeed by ourselves and we can assign the slow, med, fast and very fast fan speed settings to different temperature zones .

I appreciate your help man .

BTW , one last question .
Can i play Dirt3 and bfbc2 at med-high settings@around 55-60fps @1360*768 considering at these low resolutions my Q8200 plays a significant role too ?

not sure about that you have to try that yourself. but on low resolution the cpu can become a bottleneck because it may not be able too keep up with the gpu. in BFBC2 i got average around 40+ fps with on high setting, 2AA, 4AF, HBAO turn off @ 1600x900.

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Any thoughts about black ops ?
Just curious since COD:MW2 ran pretty good with my HD4350 even though Fifa10 struggled .