Sign in with
Your question

Lots of problems with palit 550gtx ti sonic

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 22, 2011 2:20:17 PM

Hey everyone

I have problem with my graphic card it crashes a lot and i still cant figure out where the problem is

Everything is brand new

MB: ASrock 760GM-S3
CPU: Phenom X2 B60 @ 3.30Ghz
RAM: Kingston 2x2GB 1333 Mhz HyperX
HD: WD 500GB
PSU: FSP500-60APN

Heres how the problem looks like: http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/333/lelqmu.png
It happens when i run the windows experience index. It crashes immensly when i have the aero enabled. Or whatever else i do.

Heres how the card looks in gpu-z
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/962/mamamu.png
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/319/gpustats.gif

The problem seems to be hardware related. Two weeks ago i bought 6790HD but i had the similiar problems and i returned the card. Thinking that it was a faulty one. Now i get the same error message and crashes with the new card.

Since then i formated the hd several times with different OS's. Currently im running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, i have the xp 64 bit pro installed as well. I tried deleting the drivers, using older ones, driver sweeper or whatever. The problem is still here.

Some people have suggested that i could be my mb or psu.

Some PSU characteristics:

Output

Model Watts
FSP500-60APN 500

Outputs
+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3 +12V4 -12V +5Vsb

24A 20A 18A 18A -- -- 0.3A 2.5A
September 22, 2011 2:51:30 PM

Your video card requires a minimum 400w power supply , so Iwould start there , I'm thinking that 500w is not enough. The one thing you have to remember is that everything that requires power in your PC has to be accounted for and that includes the fans. I don't know when you bought your PSU but if it were possible to return it you could try that otherwise you might have to just buy a new one. 650w or more depending on what you can afford , the power supply is the one thing that you can buy bigger than what you need and not use it untill you need it and it is always better to have too much than too little.
September 22, 2011 3:53:30 PM

Unfortunately i live in a small town currently and all of my friends have laptops and i cant test the card in a machine with a stronger PSU. I wont be able to return the psu because too much time has passed so far, but i think i would be able to buy a new one soon. Right now everything is running fine with my integrated 3100HD.
Related resources
September 26, 2011 2:04:08 PM

Oh god the same damn "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered issue."
Its not a hardware based problem. Well at least not GPU, Proc, or Ram.

After reading probably over 40+ threads on this BS. With no real 100% solution in sighte. The only thing I can tell you for sure is its a 64bit based problem. Everyone Ive talked to or read a post by all are running a 64 bit windows version.

I ran Vista 32bit as up earlier this week. Not a single problem ever....EVER. Found an unused OEM copy of win 7 I had laying around. I never ONCE had any issue with Display drivers crashing until I switched to Win7 64bit.

I have literally done every trick in the book when it comes to trying to fix this. Clean boots, system wipes, compatibility modes, Manually installing the f@#$king driver one file at a time, windows update,system checks, registry checks, hardware checks, default settings, overclocked settings,1 stick of ram(one ram at a time), single card, multicard, SLI and more.

Whats funny is I did it with every known version of the Nvidia drivers from 266.66 to the Beta 285.XX.

Not a single fing thing worked.
Wiped and reinstalled Windows 7 32 bit? Worked like a charm.
So as far as I can figure. Its strictly a driver issue between Microsoft and Nvidia in the 64bit architecture .

Is someone has the answer to this I'd love to hear it. I'd like to be able to use all 16 gigs of ram. >.<
September 26, 2011 3:13:58 PM

blackfire1 said:
Oh god the same damn "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered issue."
Its not a hardware based problem. Well at least not GPU, Proc, or Ram.

After reading probably over 40+ threads on this BS. With no real 100% solution in sighte. The only thing I can tell you for sure is its a 64bit based problem. Everyone Ive talked to or read a post by all are running a 64 bit windows version.

I ran Vista 32bit as up earlier this week. Not a single problem ever....EVER. Found an unused OEM copy of win 7 I had laying around. I never ONCE had any issue with Display drivers crashing until I switched to Win7 64bit.

I have literally done every trick in the book when it comes to trying to fix this. Clean boots, system wipes, compatibility modes, Manually installing the f@#$king driver one file at a time, windows update,system checks, registry checks, hardware checks, default settings, overclocked settings,1 stick of ram(one ram at a time), single card, multicard, SLI and more.

Whats funny is I did it with every known version of the Nvidia drivers from 266.66 to the Beta 285.XX.

Not a single fing thing worked.
Wiped and reinstalled Windows 7 32 bit? Worked like a charm.
So as far as I can figure. Its strictly a driver issue between Microsoft and Nvidia in the 64bit architecture .

Is someone has the answer to this I'd love to hear it. I'd like to be able to use all 16 gigs of ram. >.<

I guess things are even worse in my case, because ive tried 32 bit version of windows 7.And the result? Lots of crashes as well. I still havent tried the 32 bit version of XP but i dont think it would help. Any other ideas?
September 27, 2011 4:10:21 PM

Wow you know what... I've made myself a lier. I found the answer last night.

1. Open your Nvidia control panel.
2. Look under "3d settings area" on the left side. Click on Manage 3d Settings.
3. Under the Global settings tab look at the Power management mode feature. Its in the middle above sli rendering. Set it to Prefer maximum performance.
4. Now under the Program settings tab. Make sure "Show only programs on this computer" is checked.
5. For every program that has its own file and that has crashed change the Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance. Not all programs will need it changes. Firefox and graphical programs will though.

It seems there is a major powering issue with the drivers.

NOW if it still does the problem. You need to do some power calculations.

September 27, 2011 7:53:56 PM

Interesting, with W7 I turn the windows power management to 'High Performance' to stop it going into standby and turning the monitor off and as such I've not fiddled with the Nv CP settings in that regard.
October 10, 2011 6:01:24 PM

Just tried switching the power options. It didnt work. So i took the card to my cousin's PC to give it a shot.

I hesitated to try it because his PSU was highly suspicious. The only label on the PSU was a total output of 130 Watts. I was like wtf?! Hes running GT9800 and i decided that the PSU should be enough. The card is working fine with no crashes in his system with the latest drivers from nvidia website with default configuration for the drivers. Hes running 32 bit Win 7.

I think it must be mine PSU that causes the problem.
October 28, 2011 6:12:28 PM

I left my PC to a shop to test it with another PSU (this time 550W) the card didnt work. The guy at the shop said that he tried out two different PSUs.

After i took my PC home i called my cousin and took his 9800GT and but it in my PC. The result was kind of strange. It still crashed.

So far i tried 3 different VGA:

Sapphire 6790 LOTS of crashes
Palit GTX 550 Ti Lots of crashes
Nvidia 9800 GT not so much crashes but didnt work as well

How do i test my motherboard? How to tell if my pcie slot is not working properly?
!