How to Intentionally Break a Digital Camera While Making i..

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 25, 2005 2:38:05 AM

I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
etc)?
April 25, 2005 2:38:06 AM

Joebob wrote:

> I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping
> it. I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an
> extended warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working
> without doing something to it that makes it look like I broke it on
> purpose (hammer marks, etc)?

Hook the AV socket on the camera to an A/C wall outlet? That should toast
it..
--

Stacey
April 25, 2005 2:38:06 AM

"Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com> wrote in message
>I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping
>it. I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an
>extended warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working
>without doing something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose
>(hammer marks, etc)?

I don't know if any extended warranty plans will simply replace the camera.
Most like Mack will actually open the camera up to determine the problem, if
they detect intententional damage the warrantyill be voided.
April 25, 2005 2:38:06 AM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:38:05 GMT, "Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com> wrote:

>I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
>I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
>warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
>something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
>etc)?

But I can tell you how to get Verizon to nuke your account: Forge a
domain that you don't own.
--
gburnore@databasix dot com
How you look depends on where you go.
| ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
DataBasix | ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
| ÝÛ³ 3 4 1 4 2 ݳ޳ 6 9 0 6 9 ÝÛ³
Black Helicopter Repair Svcs Division | Official Proof of Purchase
Want one? GET one! http://signup.databasix.com
April 25, 2005 2:38:06 AM

Joebob wrote:
> I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
> I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
> warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
> something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
> etc)?

May I suggest you not announce your intend to commit fraud on the
internet. Do you know that others end up paying more for their products
and services because of people like you who are so self-centered that
they don't know ethics from ethnics.
You might try bending over and inserting it where the sun doesn't shine.
Maybe that will work.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:38:06 AM

"Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com> wrote in message
>I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping
>it. I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an
>extended warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working
>without doing something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose
>(hammer marks, etc)?

You are a shameless boob.

Perhaps your screen name should be joeboob...

Announcing to the world that you intend to commit fraud is right up there
with all those "world's dumbest criminal" stories we all read about.

As Yoda would say:

"May the police force be with you..."
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:50:23 AM

> Joebob wrote:
>> I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping
>> it. I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an
>> extended warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working
>> without doing something to it that makes it look like I broke it on
>> purpose (hammer marks, etc)?
>>

> May I suggest you not announce your intend to commit fraud on the
> internet. Do you know that others end up paying more for their products
> and services because of people like you who are so self-centered that they
> don't know ethics from ethnics.

Get real ...... This guy is a hoaxter and is just yanking yer chain..

> You might try bending over and inserting it where the sun doesn't shine.
> Maybe that will work.

No ............It'll just get browned off!

MS
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:21:39 AM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:38:05 GMT, Joebob wrote:

> I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
> I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
> warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
> something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
> etc)?

Immerse the camera in a gallon of sweetened iced tea for 24 hours.
Remove, rinse briefly and place in a slow oven for 2 hours or until
thoroughly dry internally. The rubes will never suspect a thing
unless you say something stupid. But if that happens, admit
nothing. Tell them that yomama did it.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:11:24 AM

Marc Stanton wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Joebob wrote:
>>
>>>I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping
>>>it. I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an
>>>extended warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working
>>>without doing something to it that makes it look like I broke it on
>>>purpose (hammer marks, etc)?
>>>

>>May I suggest you not announce your intend to commit fraud on the
>>internet. Do you know that others end up paying more for their products
>>and services because of people like you who are so self-centered that they
>>don't know ethics from ethnics.
>

> Get real ...... This guy is a hoaxter and is just yanking yer chain..
>

>>You might try bending over and inserting it where the sun doesn't shine.
>>Maybe that will work.
>

> No ............It'll just get browned off!
>
> MS

I wish he were, but suspect he is typical of the 'ME' generation.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:22:29 AM

(1) Organise a visit to the world's largest particle accelerator. It's
in Geneva. Take the camera.
(2) Set up in the target area, using a tripod, so that the sensor is
lined up with the beam path. Take a theodolite and stuff, accuracy is
important.
(3) Remove lens and lock mirror up.
(4) Call the power company, who will bring another power station on
line.
(5) Power up the accelerator and initiate a firing sequence.

Your camera will cease to function.
On second thoughts, leave the mirror down and look through the
viewfinder during this operation.

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Content/Chapters/Visit...

(The guy in the hoodie is trying a little D.I.Y. corrective eye surgery)
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 7:09:25 AM

In news:QVYae.685$BW6.207700@news20.bellglobal.com "Marc Stanton"
<mks@mksengineering.com> wrote:

> Get real ...... This guy is a hoaxter and is just yanking yer chain..

There is nothing so stupid that somebody won't say it on USENET in
earnest.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com
April 25, 2005 9:11:15 AM

Try sticking it up your butt for a day or two - but take your hockey stick
out first.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com> wrote in message
> I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping
it.
> I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
> warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
> something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer
marks,
> etc)?

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:10:50 AM

> I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.

Install a bad firmware update.
April 25, 2005 11:27:50 AM

5 seconds in microwave. Works well with phones so should be ok with camera.

"Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com wrote in message
>I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping
>it. I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an
>extended warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working
>without doing something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose
>(hammer marks, etc)?

April 25, 2005 4:02:13 PM

"Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com> wrote:

>I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
>I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
>warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
>something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
>etc)?

Go to manual mode, set 30 seconds, point camera toward sun at max
zoom. Use optical viewfinder to keep camera pointed in right place.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:09:32 PM

Joebob wrote:
> I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
> I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
> warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
> something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
> etc)?

Well! Your Troll seems to be working. :-(
Bob Williams
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 6:26:25 PM

clutch@lycos.com wrote:
> "Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com> wrote:
>

>>I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
>>I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
>>warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
>>something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
>>etc)?
>>

> Go to manual mode, set 30 seconds, point camera toward sun at max
> zoom. Use optical viewfinder to keep camera pointed in right place.

Uhhh, we want to chastise the guy, not blind him for life!

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:30:57 PM

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
? "Peter A." <peter29110@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????
> (1) Organise a visit to the world's largest particle accelerator. It's
> in Geneva. Take the camera.
> (2) Set up in the target area, using a tripod, so that the sensor is
> lined up with the beam path. Take a theodolite and stuff, accuracy is
> important.
> (3) Remove lens and lock mirror up.
> (4) Call the power company, who will bring another power station on
> line.
> (5) Power up the accelerator and initiate a firing sequence.
>
> Your camera will cease to function.
> On second thoughts, leave the mirror down and look through the
> viewfinder during this operation.

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Content/Chapters/Visit...

> (The guy in the hoodie is trying a little D.I.Y. corrective eye surgery)

Do you think that the beam will change path once it hits his ear-rings?
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:31:39 PM

I thought that mobile phones work with microwave...

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> 5 seconds in microwave. Works well with phones so should be ok with
camera.

> "Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com wrote in message
> >I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping
> >it. I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an
> >extended warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working
> >without doing something to it that makes it look like I broke it on
purpose
> >(hammer marks, etc)?

April 25, 2005 9:31:40 PM

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" <use@address.below> wrote in message
news:D 4iv7u$722$1@usenet.otenet.gr...
>I thought that mobile phones work with microwave...

They work LIKE microwave, especially on brains...
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:31:41 PM

dylan wrote:
> "Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" <use@address.below> wrote in message
> news:D 4iv7u$722$1@usenet.otenet.gr...
>
>>I thought that mobile phones work with microwave...
>

> They work LIKE microwave, especially on brains...

Didn't someone say that after a few minutes talking the brain is heated
up a degree or so, and you get smarter? Hummm, I guess that old add
about 'your brain on drugs' wasn't a good idea. Grin.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 25, 2005 10:38:45 PM

"dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D 4j3r3$bi$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
> "Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" <use@address.below> wrote in message
> news:D 4iv7u$722$1@usenet.otenet.gr...
>> I thought that mobile phones work with microwave...
>
> They work LIKE microwave, especially on brains...

Except they use a totally different frequency that doesn't excite water
molecules...
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:38:46 PM

scott wrote:
> "dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:D 4j3r3$bi$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk
>
>>"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" <use@address.below> wrote in message
>>news:D 4iv7u$722$1@usenet.otenet.gr...
>>
>>>I thought that mobile phones work with microwave...
>>
>>They work LIKE microwave, especially on brains...
>

> Except they use a totally different frequency that doesn't excite water
> molecules...

Actually, they use frequencies within that range.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:15:22 AM

In article <3d2mr9F6r0ncdU1@individual.net>,
Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Joebob wrote:
>
> > I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping
> > it. I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an
> > extended warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working
> > without doing something to it that makes it look like I broke it on
> > purpose (hammer marks, etc)?
>

> Hook the AV socket on the camera to an A/C wall outlet? That should toast
> it..

Or drop it in a bucket of water while switched on.
April 26, 2005 1:15:23 AM

"Stewy" <anyone4tennis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <3d2mr9F6r0ncdU1@individual.net>,
> Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Joebob wrote:
>>
>>> I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or
>>> dropping it. I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new
>>> model under an extended warranty plan. Does anyone know how to
>>> make it stop working without doing something to it that makes it
>>> look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks, etc)?
>>

>> Hook the AV socket on the camera to an A/C wall outlet? That
>> should toast it..
>
> Or drop it in a bucket of water while switched on.

I suspect they have water detection parts in them, most mobile phones do
exactly for this purpose.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:29:07 AM

Joebob wrote:

> I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
> I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
> warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
> something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
> etc)?

Ethics be damned, eh?

Apply stun gun lightning to the battery terminals and control buttons
and dials.

Immersion in liquid nitrogen should thermaly shock it into submission.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:05:15 AM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:38:05 GMT, "Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com> wrote:

>I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
>I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
>warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
>something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
>etc)?

Plug into AC power supply and take 100,000-200,000 pictures over the
course of a few days or weeks. Something ought to break.
-------------------------------------
Everything I know, and then some:
http://www.auctionmyths.com
April 26, 2005 10:11:07 AM

>clutch@lycos.com wrote:
>> "Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
>>>I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
>>>warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
>>>something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
>>>etc)?
>>>

>> Go to manual mode, set 30 seconds, point camera toward sun at max
>> zoom. Use optical viewfinder to keep camera pointed in right place.
>>

>Uhhh, we want to chastise the guy, not blind him for life!

Only one eye, unless he wants a third camera on his warranty.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:35:46 PM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:31:39 +0300, "Dimitrios Tzortzakakis"
<use@address.below> wrote:

>I thought that mobile phones work with microwave...

I think there's a slight difference in power levels.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

>> Except they use a totally different frequency that doesn't excite water
>> molecules...

>Actually, they use frequencies within that range.

Current mobile phones work at about 1.8 or 1.9 GHz (depends on the part
of the world). Microwave ovens operate at 2.4 GHz.

*Both* of these frequencies will cause some heating of human tissues,
depending on power level. Microwave oven output power is about 1000
times that of a cellphone, which is why it's a greater concern.

Neither of these frequencies are at the water resonant frequency, which
water would absorb very strongly. That's at much higher frequency, 10
or 20 GHz. But all polar molecules, including water, absorb *some*
energy at 1.9 and 2.4 GHz.

Dave
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:27:12 PM

"Joebob" <yomama@yomama.com> writes:
>I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.
>I'm hoping to bring in the broken camera for a new model under an extended
>warranty plan. Does anyone know how to make it stop working without doing
>something to it that makes it look like I broke it on purpose (hammer marks,
>etc)?

On the off chance that this isn't just a troll:

Be aware that warranty plans don't generally promise you a new camera.
What you may get in exchange for your broken camera is a repaired
version of the same model of camera. It might have some cosmetic
imperfections (dings and scratches) but it will work.

So you might take your older but beautiful and perfectly working camera,
damage it, return it, and get back something that's no newer and in worse
condition than what you started with.

In fact, that would be poetic justice.

Dave
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 10:02:07 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:23:06 +0000 (UTC), Dave Martindale wrote:

> *Both* of these frequencies will cause some heating of human tissues,
> depending on power level. Microwave oven output power is about 1000
> times that of a cellphone, which is why it's a greater concern.
>
> Neither of these frequencies are at the water resonant frequency, which
> water would absorb very strongly. That's at much higher frequency, 10
> or 20 GHz. But all polar molecules, including water, absorb *some*
> energy at 1.9 and 2.4 GHz.

It's not as if microwave ovens wouldn't effectively human or
animal tissue. The ovens, after all, are used mostly to cook water
bearing food, even to reheat cups of coffee. :)  The concern about
leakage is valid. Some portable phones also operate at 2.4 GHz, and
I know some people having those that get poor reception when the
oven is in use. No problems when phones operating on the lower or
higher bands are used. One of the things I'd read before about
microwaves is that the lower frequencies penetrate food more deeply,
which seems to be an indirect confirmation of the higher (10 or 20
GHz) resonant frequency of water.
October 11, 2012 5:34:40 PM

192467,1,19536 said:

I want my digital camera to stop working without smashing it or dropping it.

Great question! I was thinking about the same thing - that's how I found this.
It's nice the way the answers diverged to cover so much - cooking tips to particle accelerators.
Some sales reps imply or state outright that you can "trade-up" to new one if you buy the extended warranty.
More fool you for believing them
!