Keep the PSP?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 26, 2005 4:00:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
more.

Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
to an exchange or return.

I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said if
I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.

Well that's basically telling you to return unless you're ready to
accept a few dead pixels. It's one thing on a large laptop screen,
another on a small screen like the one on the PSP.

Supposedly, if you get it from EB and buy a 1-year extended warranty for
$20-25, you can exchange it for a new unit for ANY reason, including a
single dead pixel.

Is this true?

May be worth buying from EB, whenever they get shipments in if true.

More about : psp

March 27, 2005 1:09:36 AM

"poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
news:p oldy-D283F6.13000326032005@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
> Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
> more.
>
> Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
> to an exchange or return.
>
> I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
> interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said if
> I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
> restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.
>
> Well that's basically telling you to return unless you're ready to
> accept a few dead pixels. It's one thing on a large laptop screen,
> another on a small screen like the one on the PSP.
>
> Supposedly, if you get it from EB and buy a 1-year extended warranty for
> $20-25, you can exchange it for a new unit for ANY reason, including a
> single dead pixel.
>
> Is this true?
>
> May be worth buying from EB, whenever they get shipments in if true.

Apparently the latest is that Sony will replace units with dead pixels but
ask you to use the psp for several weeks to see if you can get used to them.
Many people find after a few hours play they are not even noticing them and
its not a bother.
March 27, 2005 1:09:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <3am1daF6a09bsU1@individual.net>,
"Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Apparently the latest is that Sony will replace units with dead pixels but
> ask you to use the psp for several weeks to see if you can get used to them.
> Many people find after a few hours play they are not even noticing them and
> its not a bother.

Read that.

It's a hassle shipping it in and unless it's in writing, can you really
trust some unnamed customer service rep saying so on the phone?
March 27, 2005 1:09:37 AM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:09:36 +0000, Beck wrote:

> Apparently the latest is that Sony will replace units with dead pixels but
> ask you to use the psp for several weeks to see if you can get used to them.
> Many people find after a few hours play they are not even noticing them and
> its not a bother.

Not a bother? I guess you they don't expect customers to expect
perfection for a $250 device. Don't say its not even $250. The
"value" pack is only there so Sony can justify the price of the
PSP being $250. The stuff included is not even worth the extra $50.
March 27, 2005 1:10:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
news:p oldy-D283F6.13000326032005@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
> Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
> more.
>
> Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
> to an exchange or return.
>
> I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
> interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said if
> I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
> restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.

Why did you buy it if you are not interested in the games?
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:51:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"poldy" emitted :

>Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
>more.
>
>Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
>to an exchange or return.
>
>I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
>interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said if
>I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
>restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.
>
>Well that's basically telling you to return unless you're ready to
>accept a few dead pixels. It's one thing on a large laptop screen,
>another on a small screen like the one on the PSP.
>
>Supposedly, if you get it from EB and buy a 1-year extended warranty for
>$20-25, you can exchange it for a new unit for ANY reason, including a
>single dead pixel.
>
>Is this true?
>
>May be worth buying from EB, whenever they get shipments in if true.

If I was you I would return it for a refund, and when you're ready buy
another from somewhere that will allow you to power up the unit and
see if it has any dead pixels before parting with your cash.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:51:31 AM

"Paul Dormer" <medi@aclara.NOT> wrote in message
news:p 7mb41po4eq61c52f36hnl8c551fetf7rq@4ax.com...
> "poldy" emitted :
>
> >Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
> >more.
> >
> >Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
> >to an exchange or return.
> >
> >I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
> >interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said if
> >I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
> >restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.
> >
> >Well that's basically telling you to return unless you're ready to
> >accept a few dead pixels. It's one thing on a large laptop screen,
> >another on a small screen like the one on the PSP.
> >
> >Supposedly, if you get it from EB and buy a 1-year extended warranty for
> >$20-25, you can exchange it for a new unit for ANY reason, including a
> >single dead pixel.
> >
> >Is this true?
> >
> >May be worth buying from EB, whenever they get shipments in if true.
>
> If I was you I would return it for a refund, and when you're ready buy
> another from somewhere that will allow you to power up the unit and
> see if it has any dead pixels before parting with your cash.

Keep in mind, however, that the dead pixel problem may not be immediately
apparent. I had mine for two days and didn't see any. This morning, I
happened to notice what I thought were tiny specs of dust (that I could only
see on a jet black title screen for a game). Turns out to be a couple of
pixels that were lit white and stayed white. Honestly, if I didn't hold the
unit an inch from my nose, I wouldn't even notice them. But I say this just
to note that you might pay for one that looks perfect and a few days later
find that a few of the pixels are dead.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:51:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Paul Dormer" <medi@aclara.NOT> wrote in message
news:p 7mb41po4eq61c52f36hnl8c551fetf7rq@4ax.com...
> "poldy" emitted :
>
>>Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
>>more.
>>
>>Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
>>to an exchange or return.
>>
>>I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
>>interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said if
>>I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
>>restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.
>>
>>Well that's basically telling you to return unless you're ready to
>>accept a few dead pixels. It's one thing on a large laptop screen,
>>another on a small screen like the one on the PSP.
>>
>>Supposedly, if you get it from EB and buy a 1-year extended warranty for
>>$20-25, you can exchange it for a new unit for ANY reason, including a
>>single dead pixel.
>>
>>Is this true?
>>
>>May be worth buying from EB, whenever they get shipments in if true.
>
> If I was you I would return it for a refund, and when you're ready buy
> another from somewhere that will allow you to power up the unit and
> see if it has any dead pixels before parting with your cash.

I agree. If EB won't return the system for dead pixels, that $25 says that
I can "create" a problem to make sure that they do replace it. I bought 2
from them and one is perfect but the other does have dead pixels. They told
me to call Sony but I will be darned if I payed $25 for them to pawn it off
on Sony. I will make my own problem.
March 27, 2005 3:34:18 AM

news:p oldy-6D285A.15092326032005@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
> In article <3am1daF6a09bsU1@individual.net>,
> "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Apparently the latest is that Sony will replace units with dead pixels
>> but
>> ask you to use the psp for several weeks to see if you can get used to
>> them.
>> Many people find after a few hours play they are not even noticing them
>> and
>> its not a bother.
>
> Read that.
>
> It's a hassle shipping it in and unless it's in writing, can you really
> trust some unnamed customer service rep saying so on the phone?

Not spoken to anyone on the phone. This was a statement by Sony and was
posted on several sites.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/25/news_6121092.ht...
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:57:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

EB gives you 14 days without buying an extended warranty.

"Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
> news:p oldy-D283F6.13000326032005@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
> > Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
> > more.
> >
> > Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
> > to an exchange or return.
> >
> > I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
> > interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said if
> > I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
> > restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.
> >
> > Well that's basically telling you to return unless you're ready to
> > accept a few dead pixels. It's one thing on a large laptop screen,
> > another on a small screen like the one on the PSP.
> >
> > Supposedly, if you get it from EB and buy a 1-year extended warranty for
> > $20-25, you can exchange it for a new unit for ANY reason, including a
> > single dead pixel.
> >
> > Is this true?
> >
> > May be worth buying from EB, whenever they get shipments in if true.
>
> Apparently the latest is that Sony will replace units with dead pixels but
> ask you to use the psp for several weeks to see if you can get used to
them.
> Many people find after a few hours play they are not even noticing them
and
> its not a bother.

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 9:58:58 AM

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Paul Dormer" <medi@aclara.NOT> wrote in message
> news:p 7mb41po4eq61c52f36hnl8c551fetf7rq@4ax.com...
> > "poldy" emitted :
> >
> > >Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen
or
> > >more.
> > >
> > >Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not
entitled
> > >to an exchange or return.
> > >
> > >I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
> > >interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said
if
> > >I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
> > >restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.
> > >
> > >Well that's basically telling you to return unless you're ready to
> > >accept a few dead pixels. It's one thing on a large laptop screen,
> > >another on a small screen like the one on the PSP.
> > >
> > >Supposedly, if you get it from EB and buy a 1-year extended warranty
for
> > >$20-25, you can exchange it for a new unit for ANY reason, including a
> > >single dead pixel.
> > >
> > >Is this true?
> > >
> > >May be worth buying from EB, whenever they get shipments in if true.
> >
> > If I was you I would return it for a refund, and when you're ready buy
> > another from somewhere that will allow you to power up the unit and
> > see if it has any dead pixels before parting with your cash.
>
> Keep in mind, however, that the dead pixel problem may not be immediately
> apparent. I had mine for two days and didn't see any. This morning, I
> happened to notice what I thought were tiny specs of dust (that I could
only
> see on a jet black title screen for a game). Turns out to be a couple of
> pixels that were lit white and stayed white. Honestly, if I didn't hold
the
> unit an inch from my nose, I wouldn't even notice them. But I say this
just
> to note that you might pay for one that looks perfect and a few days later
> find that a few of the pixels are dead.

Those aren't dead. Those are stuck. Dead are black and only show up against
white backgrounds. Stuck show up as white, red, or blue on a black
background. Dead pixels stay that way. Stuck pixels can eventually become
unstuck.

Skye
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 10:30:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
news:p oldy-D283F6.13000326032005@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
> Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
> more.
>
> Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
> to an exchange or return.
>
> I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
> interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said if
> I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
> restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.
>
> Well that's basically telling you to return unless you're ready to
> accept a few dead pixels. It's one thing on a large laptop screen,
> another on a small screen like the one on the PSP.
>
> Supposedly, if you get it from EB and buy a 1-year extended warranty for
> $20-25, you can exchange it for a new unit for ANY reason, including a
> single dead pixel.
>
> Is this true?
>
> May be worth buying from EB, whenever they get shipments in if true.

I have a dead pixel and even a couple tiny dimples in the screen that you
could only tell by very close inspection tilted at an angle with glare from
a light. I dont play it that way anyhow so this does not affect gaming at
all. Or watching the spidey movie for that matter. I have an extended
warranty at bb but Im completely satisfied as everything seems to be working
great. Im completely satisfied with the unit. Its that kick ass!
Im playing wipeout pure and its a blast.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 10:30:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Paul Dormer" <medi@aclara.NOT> wrote in message
> news:p 7mb41po4eq61c52f36hnl8c551fetf7rq@4ax.com...
>> "poldy" emitted :
>>
>> >Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
>> >more.
>> >
>> >Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
>> >to an exchange or return.
>> >
>> >I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
>> >interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said if
>> >I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
>> >restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.
>> >
>> >Well that's basically telling you to return unless you're ready to
>> >accept a few dead pixels. It's one thing on a large laptop screen,
>> >another on a small screen like the one on the PSP.
>> >
>> >Supposedly, if you get it from EB and buy a 1-year extended warranty for
>> >$20-25, you can exchange it for a new unit for ANY reason, including a
>> >single dead pixel.
>> >
>> >Is this true?
>> >
>> >May be worth buying from EB, whenever they get shipments in if true.
>>
>> If I was you I would return it for a refund, and when you're ready buy
>> another from somewhere that will allow you to power up the unit and
>> see if it has any dead pixels before parting with your cash.
>
> Keep in mind, however, that the dead pixel problem may not be immediately
> apparent. I had mine for two days and didn't see any. This morning, I
> happened to notice what I thought were tiny specs of dust (that I could
> only
> see on a jet black title screen for a game). Turns out to be a couple of
> pixels that were lit white and stayed white. Honestly, if I didn't hold
> the
> unit an inch from my nose, I wouldn't even notice them. But I say this
> just
> to note that you might pay for one that looks perfect and a few days later
> find that a few of the pixels are dead.

That happened to me. Thought I had a perfect screen, but on close inspection
saw the dead pixel and a couple tiny dimples. But its a tight system. Like
someone else replied to another thread before. Im not gonna search around to
find the perfect screen.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 7:43:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
news:p oldy-D283F6.13000326032005@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
> Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
> more.
>
> Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
> to an exchange or return.

Yep, Sony sent out a letter to all the EB, etc, managers and told them that
they would not accept units back that had defective screens like the dead
pixels. Considering the quality of Sony products, you'll just have to live
with dead pixels. Nintendo, on the other hand, accepts DS's with bad pixels
back.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:22:00 AM

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> "poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
> news:p oldy-D283F6.13000326032005@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
>> Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
>> more.
>>
>> Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
>> to an exchange or return.
>
> Yep, Sony sent out a letter to all the EB, etc, managers and told them
> that they would not accept units back that had defective screens like the
> dead pixels. Considering the quality of Sony products, you'll just have
> to live with dead pixels. Nintendo, on the other hand, accepts DS's with
> bad pixels back.

Yeah but who wants to play games from a decade ago?
I'll take a dead pixel with new games (although mine doesn't have any) vs. a
handheld playing yesteryear's games with no dead or stuck pixels.
March 28, 2005 6:00:49 PM

Android wrote:
> "Paul Dormer" <medi@aclara.NOT> wrote in message
> news:p 7mb41po4eq61c52f36hnl8c551fetf7rq@4ax.com...
>
>>"poldy" emitted :
>>

>>>Some stories about several pixels being dead, including up to a dozen or
>>>more.
>>>
>>>Sony is apparently saying that it's not a defect and you're not entitled
>>>to an exchange or return.
>>>
>>>I got mine from Target but haven't opened it yet (not really that
>>>interested in most of the launch games). I called them and they said if
>>>I open it, even if it has dead pixels, I can't return without a 15%
>>>restocking fee. Whether I want to exchange or return for full refund.
>>>
>>>Well that's basically telling you to return unless you're ready to
>>>accept a few dead pixels. It's one thing on a large laptop screen,
>>>another on a small screen like the one on the PSP.
>>>
>>>Supposedly, if you get it from EB and buy a 1-year extended warranty for
>>>$20-25, you can exchange it for a new unit for ANY reason, including a
>>>single dead pixel.
>>>
>>>Is this true?
>>>
>>>May be worth buying from EB, whenever they get shipments in if true.
>>
>>If I was you I would return it for a refund, and when you're ready buy
>>another from somewhere that will allow you to power up the unit and
>>see if it has any dead pixels before parting with your cash.
>

> Keep in mind, however, that the dead pixel problem may not be immediately
> apparent. I had mine for two days and didn't see any. This morning, I
> happened to notice what I thought were tiny specs of dust (that I could only
> see on a jet black title screen for a game). Turns out to be a couple of
> pixels that were lit white and stayed white. Honestly, if I didn't hold the
> unit an inch from my nose, I wouldn't even notice them. But I say this just
> to note that you might pay for one that looks perfect and a few days later
> find that a few of the pixels are dead.

I've got about a dozen dead pixels on my screen. Mainly the top upper
left. I'm going to return it to Best Buy and get another one. I'm not
going to sit around for 2 weeks. I am the consumer. It is not my
fault. They owe me another one that doesn't have this problem. Best
Buy will replace defective units at no cost.

--

Andrew
March 28, 2005 6:03:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <3am9suF5ql212U1@individual.net>,
"Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> > Read that.
> >
> > It's a hassle shipping it in and unless it's in writing, can you really
> > trust some unnamed customer service rep saying so on the phone?
>
> Not spoken to anyone on the phone. This was a statement by Sony and was
> posted on several sites.
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/25/news_6121092.ht...

No it was Gamespot speaking to some unnamed rep. at their toll free
number.

I tried to call it myself Saturday but was on hold for 5 min. and hung
up because I had other things to do.
March 28, 2005 6:05:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <CYr1e.9729$S46.5953@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Those aren't dead. Those are stuck. Dead are black and only show up against
> white backgrounds. Stuck show up as white, red, or blue on a black
> background. Dead pixels stay that way. Stuck pixels can eventually become
> unstuck.

Anyone try rubbing the stuck pixels to see if they change color?
March 29, 2005 3:39:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> Yeah but who wants to play games from a decade ago?
> I'll take a dead pixel with new games (although mine doesn't have any) vs.
> a handheld playing yesteryear's games with no dead or stuck pixels.

Im in the UK and parting with a huge wad of Cash for a PSP & 8 games
tomorrow. However, already have a DS with 10 games and let me assure you,
most of the games are very fresh and excellent fun. Im not a Nintendo fan
boy, but they deserve credit for an amazing handheld, it trully is an awsome
games machine. I readily accept the PSP has far superior graphics, but its
essentially a handheld PS2 - and my PS2 gather dust!!! Whilst I am buying a
PSP, I think I would choose the DS hands down as the games are so original,
you just cannot get this style gameplay anywhere else.

G.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:39:10 AM

"G" <G@G.com> wrote in message
>> Yeah but who wants to play games from a decade ago?
>> I'll take a dead pixel with new games (although mine doesn't have any)
>> vs. a handheld playing yesteryear's games with no dead or stuck pixels.
>

> Im in the UK and parting with a huge wad of Cash for a PSP & 8 games
> tomorrow. However, already have a DS with 10 games and let me assure you,
> most of the games are very fresh and excellent fun. Im not a Nintendo fan
> boy, but they deserve credit for an amazing handheld, it trully is an
> awsome games machine. I readily accept the PSP has far superior graphics,
> but its essentially a handheld PS2 - and my PS2 gather dust!!! Whilst I
> am buying a PSP, I think I would choose the DS hands down as the games are
> so original, you just cannot get this style gameplay anywhere else.

Sure yah can, just pick up a N64
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:39:10 AM

"G" <G@G.com> wrote in message
>> Yeah but who wants to play games from a decade ago?
>> I'll take a dead pixel with new games (although mine doesn't have any)
>> vs. a handheld playing yesteryear's games with no dead or stuck pixels.
>

> Im in the UK and parting with a huge wad of Cash for a PSP & 8 games
> tomorrow. However, already have a DS with 10 games and let me assure you,
> most of the games are very fresh and excellent fun. Im not a Nintendo fan
> boy, but they deserve credit for an amazing handheld, it trully is an
> awsome games machine. I readily accept the PSP has far superior graphics,
> but its essentially a handheld PS2 - and my PS2 gather dust!!! Whilst I
> am buying a PSP, I think I would choose the DS hands down as the games are
> so original, you just cannot get this style gameplay anywhere else.
>
> G.

Doesn't everything you just said make you fairly dense for putting that much
money on a PSP and 8 titles when there aren't 8 quality titles for the PSP
and DS combined.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:01:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in
news:p oldy-2EACA6.14053928032005@comcast.dca.giganews.com:

> Anyone try rubbing the stuck pixels to see if they change color?

Only works if there isn't a screen cover--you wouldn't be able to do it
with the PSP.

Geo
--
George Mealer
geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

"Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:41:28 AM

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "G" <G@G.com> wrote in message
> >> Yeah but who wants to play games from a decade ago?
> >> I'll take a dead pixel with new games (although mine doesn't have
any)
> >> vs. a handheld playing yesteryear's games with no dead or stuck
pixels.

> > Im in the UK and parting with a huge wad of Cash for a PSP & 8
games
> > tomorrow. However, already have a DS with 10 games and let me
assure you,
> > most of the games are very fresh and excellent fun. Im not a
Nintendo fan
> > boy, but they deserve credit for an amazing handheld, it trully is
an
> > awsome games machine. I readily accept the PSP has far superior
graphics,
> > but its essentially a handheld PS2 - and my PS2 gather dust!!!
Whilst I
> > am buying a PSP, I think I would choose the DS hands down as the
games are
> > so original, you just cannot get this style gameplay anywhere else.
>

> Sure yah can, just pick up a N64

Using this logic, couldn't someone simply buy a $150 PS2 instead of
spending $250 on a PSP? I'm not sure why you continue to slam the DS
for being a N64 port machine but not slam the PSP for being a PS2 port
machine.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:35:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Christopher Fowler <cfowler@NOSPAM.linxdev.com>'s wild
thoughts were released on Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:49:31 -0500
bearing the following fruit:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:09:36 +0000, Beck wrote:
>
>> Apparently the latest is that Sony will replace units with dead pixels but
>> ask you to use the psp for several weeks to see if you can get used to them.
>> Many people find after a few hours play they are not even noticing them and
>> its not a bother.
>
>Not a bother? I guess you they don't expect customers to expect
>perfection for a $250 device. Don't say its not even $250. The
>"value" pack is only there so Sony can justify the price of the
>PSP being $250. The stuff included is not even worth the extra $50.

$250 in the US, so it will probably come out in the UK at
250gbp, roughtly $425. We get screwed every time on stuff
like this.

Jan Hyde (VB MVP)

--
You feel stuck with your debt if you can't budge it. (Karen Mascew)

[Abolish the TV Licence - http://www.tvlicensing.biz/]
March 29, 2005 3:45:53 PM

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

> Doesn't everything you just said make you fairly dense for putting that
> much money on a PSP and 8 titles when there aren't 8 quality titles for
> the PSP and DS combined.

Surely quality games are just an opinion?
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:45:54 PM

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>

>> Doesn't everything you just said make you fairly dense for putting that
>> much money on a PSP and 8 titles when there aren't 8 quality titles for
>> the PSP and DS combined.
>
> Surely quality games are just an opinion?

True but I was basing mine on the number of games reviewed at 85% or better
on gamerankings.com
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:05:57 PM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> Boody Bandit wrote:
>> "G" <G@G.com> wrote in message
> any)
> pixels.
>> >

>> > Im in the UK and parting with a huge wad of Cash for a PSP & 8
> games
>> > tomorrow. However, already have a DS with 10 games and let me
> assure you,
>> > most of the games are very fresh and excellent fun. Im not a
> Nintendo fan
>> > boy, but they deserve credit for an amazing handheld, it trully is
> an
>> > awsome games machine. I readily accept the PSP has far superior
> graphics,
>> > but its essentially a handheld PS2 - and my PS2 gather dust!!!
> Whilst I
>> > am buying a PSP, I think I would choose the DS hands down as the
> games are
>> > so original, you just cannot get this style gameplay anywhere else.
>>

>> Sure yah can, just pick up a N64
>
> Using this logic, couldn't someone simply buy a $150 PS2 instead of
> spending $250 on a PSP? I'm not sure why you continue to slam the DS
> for being a N64 port machine but not slam the PSP for being a PS2 port
> machine.

Using that same logic you could purchase a N64 w/2 controllers for under $30
instead of purchasing a DS for $150.
For a $150 you could pick up a N64, 2 controllers and upwards of 12 to 20
games vs a PS2 with a couple games for $250.
At least the PSP is in the same ballpark of "current" console technology.
I am mocking Nintendo because they are milking money from game made nearly
10 years ago.
The same thing they have done with their last handheld. I can't wait for
their next handheld when the new generation is upon us. Just think, we can
play GameCube games all over again! YAY!
March 29, 2005 9:05:46 PM

news:p JKdnZzSqsIp4dTfRVn-uA@comcast.com...

> "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>

>>> Doesn't everything you just said make you fairly dense for putting that
>>> much money on a PSP and 8 titles when there aren't 8 quality titles for
>>> the PSP and DS combined.
>>
>> Surely quality games are just an opinion?
>>

> True but I was basing mine on the number of games reviewed at 85% or
> better on gamerankings.com

Bah! forget reviews, use your own judgement :-)
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 9:05:47 PM

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
> news:p JKdnZzSqsIp4dTfRVn-uA@comcast.com...
>>
>> "Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in
>>> message news:06ydneFt1ecQINXfRVn-sw@comcast.com...

>>> Surely quality games are just an opinion?
>>>

>> True but I was basing mine on the number of games reviewed at 85% or
>> better on gamerankings.com
>
> Bah! forget reviews, use your own judgement :-)

I don't have a DS so that would be a little biased. On top of that, I
haven't even played 8 PSP games let alone found 8 quality ones.
March 29, 2005 11:17:11 PM

> I don't have a DS so that would be a little biased. On top of that, I
> haven't even played 8 PSP games let alone found 8 quality ones.

I don't have a PSP but do have a DS. I am pretty certain that when I get my
PSP (hopefully tomorrow) that the DS will pale into comparison. Lets hope
Wipeout Pure is as good as they say.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:03:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

i don't know wipeout pure is supposedly a tacky game but my friend
tried it out and he said its pretty good plus you can use it for an
internet browser
!