Does Recovery Console have to be updated from a slipstream..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

SP1 Does Not Update Recovery Console Files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263125

If I have the RC installed from my slipstreamed SP1 CD, doesn't this mean
I'm
going to have to update the RC with an SP2 slipstreamed CD or in other
words, you're recovery console is out of date every time you install a
service pack in Windows "until you run the winnt32.exe /cmdcons command
again from an integrated installation (also known as a "slipstreamed"
installation)"?

Thanks,

Chad Harris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Unfortunately you are correct ;-)
That's why I don't even worry about applying a service pack for the OS -
I'll download the network install of the SP and slipstream and burn a new
bootable XP or 2k CD, then as I get around to it, I'll do spring cleaning on
all my PC's (home that is - except the Linux one) and format, clean install
and install all my apps again, with the newest, greatest and latest versions
of stuff - getting rid of the cobwebs and dust that have accumulated since
the last SP.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> SP1 Does Not Update Recovery Console Files
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263125
>
> If I have the RC installed from my slipstreamed SP1 CD, doesn't this mean
> I'm
> going to have to update the RC with an SP2 slipstreamed CD or in other
> words, you're recovery console is out of date every time you install a
> service pack in Windows "until you run the winnt32.exe /cmdcons command
> again from an integrated installation (also known as a "slipstreamed"
> installation)"?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chad Harris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:28:08 -0400, "Star Fleet Admiral Q"

>Unfortunately you are correct ;-)

(about RC version lapsing behind when SPs are added to XP)

>That's why I don't even worry about applying a service pack for the OS -
>I'll download the network install of the SP and slipstream and burn a new
>bootable XP or 2k CD, then as I get around to it, I'll do spring cleaning on
>all my PC's (home that is - except the Linux one) and format, clean install
>and install all my apps again, with the newest, greatest and latest versions
>of stuff - getting rid of the cobwebs and dust that have accumulated since
>the last SP.

Well, blowing away an installation is absolutely unacceptable here.

Is there a less destructive way of keeping RC available and working,
so that XP remains even *slightly* maintainable?

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Never turn your back on an installer program

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Star Fleet.
Pardon me, but you gotta be kidding. I thought I had it bad. I appreciate a
clean install, but really, I just can not believe If is simply install XPSP2
in this case, I have to go to all this trouble to simply use a very basic MS
XP tool; ie, the Recovery Console.

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:

> Unfortunately you are correct ;-)
> That's why I don't even worry about applying a service pack for the OS -
> I'll download the network install of the SP and slipstream and burn a new
> bootable XP or 2k CD, then as I get around to it, I'll do spring cleaning on
> all my PC's (home that is - except the Linux one) and format, clean install
> and install all my apps again, with the newest, greatest and latest versions
> of stuff - getting rid of the cobwebs and dust that have accumulated since
> the last SP.
>
> --
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

> "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > SP1 Does Not Update Recovery Console Files
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263125
> >
> > If I have the RC installed from my slipstreamed SP1 CD, doesn't this mean
> > I'm
> > going to have to update the RC with an SP2 slipstreamed CD or in other
> > words, you're recovery console is out of date every time you install a
> > service pack in Windows "until you run the winnt32.exe /cmdcons command
> > again from an integrated installation (also known as a "slipstreamed"
> > installation)"?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chad Harris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I understand now. thank you