AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester vs. Windsor

jonaskul

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi all,

I am in need of a new computer asap. And a friend of mine wants to trade me his computer for an old bicycle I got.
Value of the mountain bike as is today may be as high as middle $200. But I wont bother to do the exchange if some one here says the computer is a total bust.

So the main question is about the CPU. I got the Manchester 939 version today, and is there any difference between those two in terms of speed?
I realize that it supports DDR2, but that is all I know really. And that it is AM2. Its a MSI K9N Platinum motherboard with nForce 570 chipset. Just a regular SATA2 disk. What I also noticed is that its just 2 gigs of cheap PC5300 memory installed. If I ever diced to take this system I would for sure want to buy 4 or 8 gigs of 800mhz ram to max out the motherboard and to some mild overclocking. I'm just a big multitasker, not using heavy programs or games.
I can also add that there is a 8600GTS card in the case, but Ill just reuse my GTS250.

Thanks for input, and sorry if this is in the wrong section.

JS

jonaskul

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Thank you!
So there is no gain at all between the two sockets and DDR1 vs DDR2?

In that case, I cant really see the point of if either. Just invest in a new i3 system would be better.

I used to run a 939 3800 x2 myself and when the DDR2 version turned up I had the pleasure of comparing benchies with a few owners and a lot of the time the DDR1 CPU was slightly quicker. The DDR2 (AM2) CPU seemed to be memory sensitive as it seemed to run better on DDR2 800 as opposed to DDR2 533.

jonaskul

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
In that case, I would see this thread closed if no one else want to add anything.

Thanks a bunch for quick answers, and Ill just hold on to my system for a little while more. Aldo just having 2 gigs of ram is killing me, ddr1 chips are so expensive