Closed Solved

Power supply advice

Hello everyone. Building myself a new gaming rig very soon, and wanted to get opinions on this PSU. It's a GREAT deal, and I've heard great things about it and cougar, but figured I'd ask here first before buying it.
answers
Last reply
Best Answer
More about power supply advice
  1. Well , we know it's a Cougar
    They have more than 1 in thier line-up
  2. That's better.
    Now, the spec's that you feel you 1Kw for ?
  3. I don't really need 1Kw, however, the 750w cougar is the same price as the 1000w cougar right now. As far as specs, I am planning on a 6950, 2500k, extreme4 p67 motherboard, 8GB of ddr3 memory @1600 Mhz, 2 500 gb hdd's 7200rpm, and a bunch of fans, with the hyper 212 plus for a cooler. Howver, I am planning on upgrading to a 7970 some time down the road when the prices drop way down.
  4. Have you seen any good independent reviews of the Cougar PSUs?
  5. I have actually. I while back I saw a thread on toms about PSU selection and cougar was in the top 5.
  6. I don't know, the 700 watt didn't fare to well here
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cougar-CMX-700-W-Power-Supply-Review/1317

Have you ever heard the definition of a deal;
    Something you don't need at a price you can't resist

Personally I'd grab a known good quality 750-850w
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341052
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817116016
  7. I am never buying OCZ. I've bought a few things from them, all of which failed. I was looking at a 750w antec and a 750w corsair. Also, I want a PSU that is either orange or red, because I am going for an orange/red themed build.
  8. The reason why its so cheap is that is being replaced by the COUGAR CMX (v.2) 1000W.

A couple of the first version COUGAR CMX series have already been discontinued.

All of Cougar's power supply models are made by HEC/COMPUCASE. Not an OEM known for making good power supplies.
  9. So is it even worth it?
  10. Best answer
    jrwizbang said:
    So is it even worth it?

That's a decision only you can make.

I know that I would never buy any power supply made by HEC/COMPUCASE.
  11. My friend has a psu that is made by HEC and it is okay so far. I think I'm gonna go for it, because it has good reviews on newegg, and I found quite a few reviews of it online that say good things about it. Thank you everyone for all of the help!
  12. Best answer selected by jrwizbang.
  13. jrwizbang said:
    I am never buying OCZ. I've bought a few things from them, all of which failed. I was looking at a 750w antec and a 750w corsair. Also, I want a PSU that is either orange or red, because I am going for an orange/red themed build.

Corsair Enthusiast line of PSU is orange and Corsair PSU are rebranded Seasonic which mean quality. The Enthusiast line is not modular though and have quite a bit of cables but if you have a case with room it should be ok.
  14. theconsolegamer said:
    Corsair Enthusiast line of PSU is orange and Corsair PSU are rebranded Seasonic which mean quality. The Enthusiast line is not modular though and have quite a bit of cables but if you have a case with room it should be ok.

Corsair enthusiast is not orange or red, and I'm looking for a modular PSU. Thank you but I have already made my decision.
  15. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gaming Cougar Components Product