Yet another i5 thread - help (suitable for BF3)

G

Hi.

EDIT 3: For further clarification: I just started on my second year as a Computer Science student. It is gonna take at least 1-2 years before I'm gonna get a job that is going to pay anything above minimum wage. I currently don't have "time" (mentally) for a job.

I made this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/301047-12-cost-effective-2500k last night. But I realised it wasn't really all I needed.

I currently have a G31M-ES2L, E8400 @ 3ghz, 4gb DDR2 ram and ATI HD 6850. I recently bought BF3 which is really bringing my (weak) rig to its knees. Screen resolution: 1920x1080

That rig is currently on a 450W psu from Antec or Corsair (I think some tech savvy guy told me it was effectively a 550w psu - it's 80 PLUS Bronze certified).

BF3 is the only really demanding game I play but it runs at about 30fps on average. My current rig is about 2-3 years old and my MB can't overclock for sh*t. A mistake on my part.

I'm currently looking to buy an i5-2500k with ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 as my MB. Would that be good enough for future OCs? I'd like this build to last at least 3-4 years. I don't really care much for ultra high settings - I just don't want any noticeable FPS lag.

My budget is negligible at this point. The hardware price difference between the US and Denmark is completely skewed. Just gimme your best shot and I'll look into the price.

The ASRock Z68 Extreme3 is within an acceptable price range though - it costs 865 DKK which is about $144. For reference, the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 costs about $70-80 more. Is there anything better at this price point? If you think the Extreme4 is more worthwhile then I might consider getting that one instead. Nothing is set in stone :p

Also, what kind of ram should I get?

Would this rig be able to play BF3 at an acceptable level whilst also being somewhat futureproof? My last (and current) rig was a huge mistake - I should have spent more money so I could have OCd the E8400 (what a waste).
The only thing I won't replace at this point is the GPU (birthday present).

EDIT: My rig is in an Antec 300 case with no extra fans.

EDIT 2: I think it's safe to say I won't ever run CrossFire. I'm so sick of AMD drivers that my next GPU is gonna be an nVidia. I obviously realise that I need a new PSU to run SLi :)

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
BF# review.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-8.html
Depending on your setting and resolutions I think you would geat 'reasonable' performance out of your system.
Asrock Extrem3 Gen and a 2500K are a good setup. You will need to get DDR3 Ram.
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL $45USD.
As you can see in the review the bigger the video card, the more FPS and quality settings you will get.
Looking at the charts may have you rethinking the AMD vs Nvidia war, and I'm a diehard Nvidia guy.
A 6950 sell for low to mid $200USD range and a comparable Nvidia GTX 570 cost in the mid $300's.
You might want to consider the video first.

G

That makes me a bit sad :( But I just need to stick with this GPU for a while longer. It's only about 6-7 months old and I don't have money to replace it. But 40 fps at high settings is really okay with me - I'll just lower the graphics.
I just really hate AMD drivers. I have always had compatibility issues with drivers but for some reason I always buy AMD cause I'm cheap :(

I assume my CPU is a giant bottleneck though.

G

I have everything on LOW/off @ 1080p. I get some stutters when I have to load a piece of the scenery. It's really quite annoying.

G

Cheats! Odd really but I guess that's good news. Just need a new CPU then.

btw, just checked in Everest. I have WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device. Might be too slow/old as well but not sure :/ but it shouldn't cause stutters I think.