Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which Video card should I get for battlefield 3?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 22, 2011 8:35:29 PM

Okay so battlefield 3 comes out next month and I still don't have my computer because I am still worried about ordering bad parts. I have read on the battlefield 3 blog that the recommended system requirements are either

A.) Geforce gtx 560

or

B.) Amd radeon HD 6950


The 6950 is a little more expensive than the gtx's. But the gtx's are lower price so what would perform better?

They would be paired with an amd phenom ii x4 955 black edition(which i may overclock)
and 4 Gigs of ram.

Thanks :) 

EDIT: also the resolution of the monitor im getting is 1920 x 1080

More about : video card battlefield

September 22, 2011 8:38:10 PM

take it with a grain of salt, but i just installed a gtx580 for bf3. which leads me to my point, someone at dice tweeted it would take 2 gtx 580 in sli to max the game out.
sorry for bad advice but all i can say is get the most powerful one you can afford.

p.s. see you on the battlefield soldier!
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 8:47:28 PM

axehammer said:
take it with a grain of salt, but i just installed a gtx580 for bf3. which leads me to my point, someone at dice tweeted it would take 2 gtx 580 in sli to max the game out.
sorry for bad advice but all i can say is get the most powerful one you can afford.

p.s. see you on the battlefield soldier!

Geez if it takes two expensive video cards to max it out, it must be a super nice looking game. Hopefully its just a rumor though.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 22, 2011 8:49:59 PM

It may take 2x GTX 580 to max out but at what rez and what AA AF? My G73JH will play it at decent frames 30-45 medium-high settings. That is the Alpha frame rate but after the game is finely tuned and drivers mature I'm sure frames rates will only go up. I would bet the 560ti is a little better than the standard 560 and the 6950 has more vram which could help with hi rez textures and AA AF.
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 8:54:39 PM

yea, thats just it, they didnt mention rez or anything, so im hoping my single 580 oc'd will run it nicely enough the alpha was everything low they said and it looked pretty darn good, so the final should be AMAZING
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 9:04:18 PM

My G73Jh is running it @ 1080P with a HD5870m mobile GPU. The desktop equal is a HD5770
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 9:05:14 PM

Youtube has numerous vids on Battlefield 3 Alpha check it out!
m
0
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 9:15:18 PM

if i'm not mistaken alpha was more on to make sure the multiplayer can run properly and the way i heard it the graphic you see in alpha is not final. so i don't think you can make your decision on what gpu to pick based on hardware you run on alpha trial. dice recommends GTX560 / HD6950 to play the game. that is recommended hardware not hardware needed to max out the graphic setting in BF3. so if you want to play the game on moderate or acceptable performance just pick the one that recommended by dice. if you want to know what hardware needed to max out the game wait until the game is out or maybe you can ask peoples that will be on the BETA at the end of this month
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 9:41:51 PM

renz496 said:
if i'm not mistaken alpha was more on to make sure the multiplayer can run properly and the way i heard it the graphic you see in alpha is not final. so i don't think you can make your decision on what gpu to pick based on hardware you run on alpha trial. dice recommends GTX560 / HD6950 to play the game. that is recommended hardware not hardware needed to max out the graphic setting in BF3. so if you want to play the game on moderate or acceptable performance just pick the one that recommended by dice. if you want to know what hardware needed to max out the game wait until the game is out or maybe you can ask peoples that will be on the BETA at the end of this month


The Beta is open to all this month on all platforms.
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta
m
0
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
September 22, 2011 11:52:31 PM

Inferno1217 said:
The Beta is open to all this month on all platforms.
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta


that's what i'm talking about but i don't think the BETA will be open to all people. at least not that i know of. how to get into the beta without pre-order the game or using the invites you got from buying MOH?
m
0
l
September 23, 2011 12:20:17 AM

renz496 said:
that's what i'm talking about but i don't think the BETA will be open to all people. at least not that i know of. how to get into the beta without pre-order the game or using the invites you got from buying MOH?

It is an open beta for people who have the medal of honor disc on ps3/xbox will just have to use the disc to play it on the 27th and on the 29th it unlocks in the psn store and xbox market place. Same goes for pc except you just download it through origin in the demos section.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2011 1:18:43 AM

if those are the choices take the 6950(2GB)
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 6:23:19 AM

You should be perfectly fine with any of the GeForce 500 series cards if money is an issue. I was playing the Open Beta the other day running only 4GB RAM and GeForce GTS 450 and the game ran perfectly fine. In fact, I had to set the graphics to the Ultra setting in the game, and was still able to play a full map before the game crashed out on me. Even on Low the graphics are 10 times better than the PS3's version which I also played. I plan to upgrade to 8GB RAM and a GTX 560 for this game.

For further info, I am running a Core i7 2.8, so I don't know how that compares to your AMD or what affect it had on the game's performance with my current rig.
m
0
l
!