mattman83us

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
my sister bought a zt system pre built pc. had it for maybe 6 months. It won't start. it powers on, all the lights light up, fans spin, cpu, case, ect. there are lights on the motherboard, i know the ram is good, cause its compatible, with my system. i put it in, and my pc started right up. i don't hear and post beeps, or theres no video.. if i take out the ram, and start up her pc, it beeps. I'm thinking its a bad mother board though. i even reset the bios, messed with the jumpers. no luck...

any help will be appreiated
she has a

athalon Xll 3.1 ghz
500g hdd
2 gig ddr3 1333

emesis

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008

I have (had?) a Zt laptop. It's awful, and broke (physically) almost to the point of unusability - broken hinges (screen falls down, one broke completly through), cracked case, reboots at random, battery won't hold a charge, etc. And it's only a couple of years old.

Not that I'm done whining ;) - My experiance has been that whenever I see these symptons, the CPU is bad. The bad motherboards I've seen either would not boot, or would boot and then get 'weird' - random shutdowns & freezes, unexplainable bouts of poor performance, etc. I had a Gigabyte that 'ate' video cards - I'd replace a card and three weeks later it would get destroyed. Anyway, if you can swap in a CPU, or swap the CPU out into a known-good system with the same socket, you'd know one way or the other.

Testing the power supply to rule that out might be a good idea as well. If you have access to a multimeter it's a fairly easy operation. Harbor Freight sells 'good enough' multimeters for very cheap if there's one near by; sometimes $3 when they have a sale. They're not Fluke quality, but they work OK.

Anyway, good luck with your troubleshooting.

Or, if it's under warranty, you might be able to call them and get the whole thing RMA'd. Of course, when I called them about mine they were les than responsive, but YMMV.

mattman83us

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
yeah my sister tried that, said she had to pay for the shipment fee, i think its a little messed up how, its under warrenty, but yet we got to pay for shipping. whats up with that?