Wattage required for new build

sevada

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Hi guys

I have been doing some research as to how much watt my build would require. The answers seem to differ everywhere I go. I also used a few online calculators but again, outcomes differ. So I thought I'd come here and ask you guys for advice.

Here is the setup I am going for:

- Core i7 2600k
- MSI Z68 GD65 (G3)
- 1x GTX 560 Ti
- 8GB Corsair 1600Mhz ram (will add 8 more in the future)
- 128GB SSD as boot drive and 750 GB storage
- 1 DVD burner
- 3 fans

Now, here is what I was going for after researching myself. Either a Seasonic X-Series 560Watt or for some extra headroom, a 660Watt; both 80+ Gold.

The CPU will be overclocked to 4.5Ghz but the GPU will remain at stock. So, what do you guys think, which brand and how much watt should I put in my system.

PS. the reason why I went for this motherboard is first of all the aesthetics of it, it will look nice in my case. Secondly, I wanted to have a future proof motherboard which would allow me to go for a new GPU (or maybe 2) in say 2/3 years without having to buy a new motherboard.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Since you will be overclocking your Core i7-2600K to 4.5 GHz you will need to add at least an additional 5 Amps to the minimum recommended +12 Volt continuous current rating to handle the additional power draw (i.e. at least 35 Amps or greater).

Seasonic X-Series X-560 (SS-560KM)
• +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps
• two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors

Seasonic X-Series X-660 (SS-660KM)
• +12 Volt continuous current rating of 54 Amps
• four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors

Both models have more than sufficient capacity to power your system build.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

sevada

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks guys, appreciate all your input. PCs and everything related is new to me, but I learn new things every day thanks to Google and other people's inputs.

Really? 350 watt is enough? My 5 year old HP computer is using more...

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Did you use a digital multimeter to measure the power output that your powersupply is using from the wall? Or are you taking a guess.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 52 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

If you're planning on using two graphics cards in CrossFireX or SLI mode in the future then you may want to purchase a power supply to handle it so that you shouldn't need to replace the power supply.

I would be considering a minimum of a 750 Watt like the Seasonic X-Series X-750 (SS-750KM).

sevada

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

Yep used that one before. Thanks!

I recall measuring it with one of those multimeters, it was around 384 watt. Either I have forgotten and am giving wrong info or the meter was broken and gave an incorrect readout.

I might do that, just to be sure I have enough power when I add another 560. Thanks!

Thank you guys for all your input and good information. This question can be marked solved now.

You can't because you opened this thread as a discussion instead of a question.

Send a message to the moderator to have the thread changed to a question so that you can choose a best answer or just have them close the thread.