Sign in with
Your question

PC Crashing Issue

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2011 7:41:28 PM

I have done lots of searching and have not found anyone with the same problem. It would be great if I can get some help!

5 or 6 months ago I upgraded from XP Home 32-bit to 7 Home 64-bit. Right after I got 7 installed, my computer would crash while using the internet. I tried IE, Chrome, and Firefox. I was running Catalyst Control 11.4 and updated to 11.5. The problem stopped. At this point I thought I defeated it. Then 11.6 came out and the issue started happening again, so I reverted back to 11.5. Then 11.8 came out, same issue, so once again I installed 11.5. Then, BF3 came out and I wanted the most up to date drivers. The issue started happening again. At this point, the problem wasn't any time I was using an internet browser. It was anytime I watched an embedded video or tried to go to youtube. Youtube resulted in an instant crash within seconds of the site loading. I was able to watch video embedded on a forum or any other site, so long as I didn't leave that tab or hit the back button. Videos played flawlessly. I found a couple instances of people saying their AMD HD audio driver was interfering with onboard audio drivers. I tried disabling the AMD driver and that did not work. I did not experience any crashes with youtube or any embedded video while in Safe Mode. Sound is disabled in Safe Mode (at least on my PC), but nothing I did with audio drivers helped.

System specs at that time:
AMD Athlon II X3 435
Asus M4A77TD Pro
4 GB G.SKILL Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
Asus EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5

This was getting old and nothing I did seemed to correct anything, so I ordered an ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 board. This was probably two weeks ago. I completely re installed Windows (didn't give me an option to format the drive, but did partition the old files). Same problem, crashes anytime I try to go to youtube or leave a page or tab that I had just watched video in. So, a gaming buddy suggested I try replacing the RAM. So, last night I installed 8 GB of G.SKILL Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2. I also installed CC 11.12 last night and the issue is still happening and I am at a loss. My crashes aren't a BSOD with an error message, just a grayish blue screen, and I have to reboot. My PC runs games great, and other than BF3's crashing issues, My computer has not crashed while gaming. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I will say that I have the 4th core of the processor unlocked (no L3 cache), but running it as a triple core hasn't helped in solving the problem. None of the problems existed for over a year with XP.

More about : crashing issue

December 27, 2011 10:21:46 PM

Unless I'm missing something, you mentioned that you upgraded your Catalyst Video drivers a few times, still NO mention of your Video card.... odd.

Check what's video card Model/Maker/serial number and verify which Catalyst driver is best for it under Windows 7 64 bit, your problem might be right there.

Either wrong choice of driver or on the worst case scenario you might need to upgrade the card.... but since you made no mention of the card, I'm just guessing.
m
l
December 27, 2011 10:38:25 PM

I mentioned the card that I have. It is next on the list to replace. I want to replace it anyway, but I was doing the less expensive upgrades first. Catalyst Control 11.5 is the one that worked the best, but it does not work well with Battlefield 3, and since I have no issues with my PC crashing while gaming, that is more important. The only spare card I have is an AGP card, so I will probably just order a new card in the next few weeks. Just won't watch any videos I guess.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2011 11:56:05 PM

did you uninstall all the old catalyst driver before the install of new ones
m
l
December 28, 2011 1:14:54 AM

No, but I started fresh with 11.11 two weeks ago after the install of Windows.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2011 4:13:43 PM

if the card do not work in the blue slot could you try the black one in case motherboard socket is defective
m
l
December 28, 2011 4:31:38 PM

A buddy suggested I try my second x16 slot. That was last night, and I have yet to try it. But this is two mother boards now, and the first one worked fine with XP until I installed 7. I may try moving it tonight.
m
l
December 29, 2011 5:23:35 AM

This would would help also, when you uninstall a driver of any kind...its best to boot into safe mode and use a program called "Driver Sweeper" by Guru3D: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Doing this will ensure the driver you uninstalled is "completely" removed from your system, and there wont be no leftovers in your registry to worry about. Hope this helps ;) 
m
l
December 30, 2011 11:13:15 PM

Wow. I'm an idiot. So today, my PC started crashing after it finished booting. I realized one of the last things to happen is for my wireless to connect. I totally forgot that I upgraded my wireless adapter at the same time I installed Windows 7. So, it being USB, I unplugged it and uninstalled the driver. Have the old pci one installed and no crashes so far!
m
l
December 31, 2011 1:17:31 PM

Question.... After you installed Windows, when you installed your wireless adapter driver...did u plug in your adapter before or after the driver install?
m
l
December 31, 2011 2:01:52 PM

It had to be plugged in for the install to work.
m
l
December 31, 2011 7:22:57 PM

Not sure if your were aware of this or not, but you are suppose to install the driver 1st, then plug in the adapter and let Windows detect it and finish the install. If you dont do it in that order, there is a good chance that the adapter wont work or it may cause Windows to sometimes hang-up or crash on you. Windows is very picky when it comes to installing drivers. Just a thought...
m
l
December 31, 2011 7:38:30 PM

Yes. I put the install cd in and it got to a point where it would no longer continue without the adapter being plugged in. I plugged it in when prompted.
m
l
December 31, 2011 7:42:21 PM

Ahh, ok...you did it right then..
m
l
!