rhintintin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Afternoon all,

I've been tasked with building a media PC for a friend. Although I've built many systems in the past, they have always been gaming rigs. He doesn't need that much power... or cost!

I'm wondering if you kind people could point me in the right direction in a few areas. There are a couple of things that have been stipulated... or not as the case maybe.

The PC is not going to be small form factor. We are looking at full desktop size.

Must be quiet. Blu Ray drive. HDMI out. For sound, preference would be to have both digital and analogue. He wants surround sound on there too. Must be able to handle high definition playback of compressed files eg mkvs.

I'm not having to do this on a budget, but I don't want to blow cash where it isn't needed. I'm guessing I won't need a monster processor. Some tips on quiet running mobos would be good. Do I need to get a separate gfx card or can I get one incorporated into the motherboard?

Cheers in advance.

fill this up:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

for an htpc, you can get a llano system and skip a discreet gfx card. for example:

amd a8-3850
a75 socket fm1 motherboard (gigabyte/asus)
8 gb ddr3 1600 ram (llano performs better with faster ram)

you can get a media remote or a wireless keyboard so that you can control your pc from your couch.
you'll need a roomy hdd or three to store the media. but right now the hdd prices are quite higher than before. you can also get an ssd if you have the budget, use that to increase the responsiveness of your pc.

rhintintin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Cheers, Ill have a look at them.

Yeah, the price of HDs is stupid at the moment. Putting off upgraging my own. To start with I'm going to stay away from the SSD for now... although I'll take some advice on some just in case my man decides he likes the sound. I'm probably gonna start with just 1tb under the hood. He is only starting out and Ill add more as and when.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: £600 max

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Exclusive media PC. Audio and Video. It's gotta sound good! Include BluRay.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: CCLONLINE as a preference (I live around the corner)

Parts Preferences: None really. Probably an AMD to drive it though.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1080

Additional Comments: Quiet. Doesn't need to be small form factor.