Please help, need motherboard for amd fx 6300

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
hey, i'm building a new system, I'm on a tight budget. please could someone recommend me a motherboard which is compatible with an amd fx 6300?
i would very grateful!

also i know this aint the right place to post, but if you don't mind answering another question.
i have an old 120gb hdd siting at home, shall i get an solid state drive or keep the cash and spend it on a better ram or something ect, also is it possible to install windows 7 on an hhd then when i get enough cash and buy an ssd. can i transfer it over? or do i need to back up everything and boot from window 7 again?

Thank you.

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
How tight is tight? And how are you planning to utilize the system? What are the other specs of the machine? Not to be crass, but these things do matter in determining the best motherboard for your needs.

As far as getting an SSD, it does have significant performance increases over HDD but lacks in storage unless you have $$$ (dough) for one at or over 500GB. You could uses the SSD and HDD together, utilizing your SSD for OS. I'd go for at least 120GB in size. You need to have a cloning application to copy the contents of the HDD to the SSD.

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for replying, i think i'm going to use the "AsRock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard" as it seems quite good for the price. I have a £300, this is my first build.

Here's my other specs ,
amd fx 6300 - £107.99
AsRock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard - £64.99
G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB - £36.98
Novatech PowerStation Gaming 400W Silent ATX2 Modular Power Supply - £32.99
Zalman Z11 - £51.98

I'll great full if you could suggest anything which will make my system a tad better.

I will invest into a gpu and ssd when i get a bit of $$

Wingman_mn

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
You might want to consider getting a more powerful PSU than one with 400W if you're planning on buying a GPU later down the line.

Most of today's GPU require a lot of power and unless you are planning upgrading the PSU again, it would just be simpler to buy a more powerful PSU now ;)

That is if this system is for gaming, else a basic graphics card would suit you just fine.

EDIT: found a website that might help you caculate you're power needs:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
also, i'm going to be using my computer for light gaming (like minecraft, runescape, habbo, rollercoaster tycoon, ect.) i will be using adobe programs. dreamweaver, ect.
i like to java script and some html/php. i'll be using itunes, browsing the web, facebook, skype. and some other stuff.

aonor

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
If you still have your copy of windows , just install that into your ssd.Transfer things you want to run and load fast like games onto your ssd, keep untouched things in your hdd.Use only what you need to save space on ssd.

Timstertimster

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013

Why build new computer for that? I do all these things right now on a 6 year old hand-me-down laptop, really, I do.

IIFlexxy

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Firstly there is no mention of a GPU, and even though mincraft is horrible pixel graphics, it still requires OpenGL 4.0 so you could not play this on onboard GPU. I think you have a alright set up there but i would change the PSU for 500watt and go for the ASUS M5A97 Mobo. Its the best budget one you can buy.

Well.. this is a good FX 6300 + Asus M5A97 motherboard combo with 30 dollars off. Looks like a pretty sweet deal for me. Get this combo. It is a good combo.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $178.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 12:41 EDT-0400)

I hope this helps.