Status
Not open for further replies.

tehmatt

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hi everyone, having issues here which I don't think I can fix on my own anymore.

anyway first off system specs -
MOBO: Gigabyte 880gma usb3
CPU: AMD phenom II x4 965
RAM: 16g gskill sniper 4x4g
GPU: ATI radeon hd 6800
HD: 500 g seagate barracuda 7200
DVD: Samsung superwritemaster

Problem: Windows becomes non-responsive and restarts. The easiest way to trigger this problem is to attempt to install any game from a disk. However it also is triggered by downloading, general internet use, attempting to copy/ transfer large items on harddrive or to a flash drive, and burning cd's or dvds.

My first guess was that my ram was faulty, however i tried removing reach stick and booting up windows and all of them could, however all of them individually would cause the same problem when i would try to install a game from a disk. (which is usually my way to test, I use two seperate games battlefield 3 (origin) and empire total war (steam)

Secondly I thought my hard drive might be faulty, it passed check disk and other tests however I went out and purchased my current drive and reinstalled windows with exactly the same issues still occuring. (blew my mind)

I also purchased a new dvd drive with no changes.

Finally I took it into a local NCIX store and had their tech support look at it. He said that my hardware seemed fine and it ran a benchmark test (furmark) overnight without any problems. They later released it with no charge because they couldn't diagnose the problem.

any ideas guys? the only other thing i can think of is to bring a priest in to perform an exorcism on it :sarcastic: If you need more information please ask

juan83

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
i think you need to replace the power supply, an amd 6800 should be more than enough for a low budget PSU. If is not the case, try to lower the memory speeds to 1333 or even 1066, or check cpu temps.
if cpu reach very high temps, it's posible to reboot the pc for protect itself.

we need to know the type of psu, and info about ram MHZ.

tehmatt

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
hey hp deskjet, juan83 thanks for the replies. I previously had a 600watt ocz power supply but also replaced that for a 900watt antec beast.

RAM: gskill f3-10666cl9d-8gbsr (ddr3-1333, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v)

as for my ram speeds, i was actually just trying that per a response on another persons thread similar to mine. I looked up my ram in my motherboards compatability manual and its not listed. I tried dropping the speed to 1066 it was set at 1333. I did notice that the DRAM voltage control was set to auto so I changed it to 1.5 v. neither of these changes seemed to make a difference.

im not sure what 9-9-9-24 is but there were values set to those numbers in my RAM info so I assume that is set correctly.

thank you for the replies

tehmatt

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
also daship, i will do that tonight, can't hurt. ill post tomorrow if anything does come up

EDIT: also i successfully flashed my bios today even though my previouc was less than a year old. nerve racking business

EDIT: my cpu reads low numbers around 34c idle and doesnt feel hotter than that to the touch

tehmatt

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
dieller I have tried reinstalling windows 7 and the problems persisted.

13th monkey, I did think of upgrading my power supply and upgraded to an antec 900watt. Its possible I have a corrupt installation of windows because I did have troubles with the install and had to retry it several times to finally get it on. (it would stop mid install and never finish). But I my issues during install are more related to the same issues I have installing anything off a disk.

amuffin, I was actually looking into AHCI mode this morning, my harddrive is set to emulate a ide drive atm from what I understand. could you elaborate a little on how you think it will help? id need to reinstall windows if i set it in ahci mode right?

there is a fix on the MS site for going from ide to ahci, yes it might well help.

If the problems also occur during install i'd try different data cables, especially to the HDD.

It could be a faulty MOBO, try different sata ports on a different controller if you've got one, like between Sata II and sata III or the ones that sometimes are activated instead of the IDE channels.

tehmatt

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
ghnader hsmithot, I looked into memtest86 and found that you download an iso file to be burned to a disk. I cant do this as it causes my computer to become non responsive. Does anyone know If i can run memtest86 through a drive emulator like daemon tools?

13thmonkey, I actually have switched the cables, I looked into an atapi error I was getting and switched the cables no luck.

amuffin, Im going to see if my motherboard supports that right now, I didnt think id get a reply so quickly so I was making a usb bootable windows 7 flash drive. handy thing to have anyways.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html
Just download and use no need for installlation

tehmatt

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
thanks 13th monkey, Ill look into it and post results after I run it for a good period of time. Also could you explain a little about trying different ports on a different controller? I have several sata ports on my mobo

amuffin, my board doesnt seem to support switching to ahci mode. I got the bootmanager is missing error. When I switched back to IDE I lost the use of my mouse and Keyboard and had to reset my cmos to get it back. I might try reinstalling windows with ahci enabled to give myself a fresh start.

Literally just try a different socket.

On intel boards from the 775 era a lot of manufacturers put a secondary sata controller on board (perhaps the north/south bridge design was old enough to not have too many) and so if the controller is failing then you could have tried another conrtoller, often these were different coloured ports or ports located in a different location.

I note that your board has 6 sata III ports, I believe that there may have been some compatability issues with some HDD running on sata III ports, Is there a way of turning the sata III ports into sata II ports, or of forcing the HDD (through jumpers) to be forced to work at Sata II speeds?

Also with sata III there are rumours of all cables not being equal and there being data errors creeping in, it shouldn't matter with a sata II drive, but that depends on where the backward compatibility sits, if the port senses a sata II device and sends at sataII speeds then you are ok, if the port sends at sataIII speeds and the device on responds at sata II speeds then the cable may be important.

tehmatt

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
ghnader hsmithot, damn I just got back from making a bootable usb version. Reccomends run for 20 minutes. Ill do that and post results. When i take a break later ill let it run for much longer. thank you for the reply

juan83

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
something similar happened to a friend of mine. but his mobo has ATI onboard and he added a geforce card. he solved the problem uninstalling catalist letting only nvidia's driver.

i remember he run the pc normally and at the moment he inserted a CD or DVD and starts to spint, the pc shuts down (drastically) and reboot instantly.

I think you have amd onboard and discrete graphic too. try to disable onboard to see what's happen.

about memtest86+, every ubuntu and many other linux distributions has mentest. You can try it like a live cd to both (memtest and linux) and see if you can use the computer normaly.

good luck!

PS: sorry my poor english

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Looks you have high freq. problem with this system... when you bring to NCIX.... did they try to install the OS and try to install any game from the Disk...

Also you better see on the Event Log.. after the system restart...

You can also use "MSCONFIG" -> Choose Diagnostic Startup to see if the problem still there..

tehmatt

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Alright I ran several instances of memtest to make sure it used all my RAM for over 10 hours and they all came back with 0 errors.

13thmonkey, Im going to look into that right now

juan83, ill check but I think my onboard video is disabled

sonexpc, I don't think they did. My even viewer is largely unhelpful, after a restart it shows an error saying the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down and the details show values of zero.

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

I will try a diagnostic startup right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.