Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help with case fans

Last response: in Components
February 20, 2012 1:32:51 AM

Ok so I just finished building my computer and I encountered a couple of problems. ):
One problem I am certain is a dead hard drive.
The other I'm not so sure about, but it involves the fan. I plugged the fan ports into the fan pins, and once I turned it on it the fan works fine and everything, but when I check the BIOS settings, only the CPU fan was detected in my BIOS. Does this have anything to do with the dead hard drive or is it a defective motherboard?? :( 
Please help!!!

My specs:
Mother Board: Asus P8Z68-V Gen3
CPU: Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3ghz
Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
GPU: Nvidia MSI Frozr II 560ti 2gb
RAM: G.Skill 8gb 1600 mhz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Case: Corsair 400R
Power Supply: Corsair 750TX

More about : case fans

February 20, 2012 1:46:01 AM

Are you saying you plugged the case fans into the mobo headers?
Because if you plugged the case fans into the psu molex your bios doesn't monitor them.
A sure fire way to tell if your hdd is dead = load the OS
Does your case hdd light blink?
Score
February 20, 2012 2:02:59 AM

If you're using DC fans for the other fan headers on the mobo it's not going to detect them if you didn't choose DC in the Fans Type in the BIOS if they have that setting.
Secondly, to be able to let the mobo control those fans, you need to use PWM fans with their compatible headers on the board and not to the PSU.

A dead HDD isn't going to cause anything else to not work properly other than the HDD itself.

The only way to be sure that it's a defective mobo , would be to test it out with stuff that works, confirmed by using the other stuff on another rig. I doubt it'll be possible though since you seem to have just bought the stuff and assembled it.
I would suggest going through all the wiring again and check to see that all cables are plugged into their right and respective sockets.
Use a guide if necessary.
Confirm how you reached the conclusion that the HDD is dead.
Confirm what fans have been plugged into what mobo headers.
Score
Related resources
February 20, 2012 2:24:02 AM

I plugged my fans into the fan headers on my mobo.
I plugged the CPU Fan into the CPU header.
The Rear FAn into the power Fan 2 Header.
The Front fan is connected to a molex.

For the HDD, it worked fun for about 3 hours, installed window 7 then installed the realtek audio driver, and nvidia driver, then my comp started have frequent freezes. I turned it off to call it a day then when I woke up to turn on my comp, it asked me to insert a boot media disk. So i checked my bios and my HDD wasn't connected or detected.
My brother comp has the exact spec beside for a different case. His MOBO detected his fans, and his HDD worked. When i plug in my HDD into his comp, it wasnt detected either, but when I plugged in his HDD into my comp, it was detected and booted normally.
Score

Best solution

February 20, 2012 2:27:01 AM

Ok, bad HDD confirmed.
Your mobo should be detecting 2 Fans only. the third fan (front Fan) will not be detected as it's on the PSU.

If your mobo has another Fan header, I'd suggest using the rear fan on that header to see if the fans detected or not.
February 20, 2012 8:54:08 PM

Best answer selected by MichaelPham617.
Score
February 20, 2012 8:55:14 PM

alyoshka said:
Ok, bad HDD confirmed.
Your mobo should be detecting 2 Fans only. the third fan (front Fan) will not be detected as it's on the PSU.

If your mobo has another Fan header, I'd suggest using the rear fan on that header to see if the fans detected or not.

Thank you so much! It's detected now! :) 
Score
February 20, 2012 9:21:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!