Distinguished
May 9, 2010
got a ?. i have a q9400 core temperatures

0 38c
1 37c
2 36c
3 30c

this is at idle core clock 2.74ghz

should that core 3 be that must different in temp???

using hw monitor

Solution
G

now stop that! your making me jealous!

that is completely reasonable. i know it seems freaky, i got all crazy the first time i saw a just 4 degree difference in my cores the first time but its usual.
G

not really. most likely your fourth core isn't be used as much as the other three when idling. if your using core temp it should show how much of a load on each core.

it would be under a load that something could be flonky. and even then a few degrees is not a worry.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

At Idle it seems ok.
If you can load it with prime or OCCT and get your load temps it would tell us a great more detail of your cooling performance.

G

now stop that! your making me jealous!

that is completely reasonable. i know it seems freaky, i got all crazy the first time i saw a just 4 degree difference in my cores the first time but its usual.

Solution

kyhillbilly2184

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
lol. thats what i wanted to hear thx. Now id like to get past 2.74ghz, but dont no how to get it past that. got to the 2.74 with everything in bios set to auto. anything over 2.74 wont let me. Guessing the ram timings half to be set differently?

randomizer

Champion
The cooler the temperature, the poorer the accuracy of the sensors. They are designed for triggering thermal protection mechanisms so they are only meant to be accurate at the upper end of the scale. At cooler temperatures they can vary wildly in readings. If you want some nitty gritty details as to why, you can read my wall of text here.

G

well overclocking depends on your motherboard as much as your cpu and ram.

unlink your ram speed to your front side bus (fsb) without knowing i am guessing you have 800 Mhz ram, try to leave it at that.
your fsb ought to be a default of 333 MHz (or 4*333for1333Mhz) for you cpu.

on my q6600 i just bumped up my fsb 15%, unlink my ram, left everything on auto and called it a day

what might help is a similar thread for overclocking that quad:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269649-29-overclocking-core-quad-q9400

overclocking a socket 775 is an art form compared to the i 3/5/7s of today . .ahh the memories :)

I see, thanks for allowing me to learn about this. :love: