HD 5970 dvi display not working

mike30

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Hey guys, i have been struggling with a strange problem since yesterday.

After installing my water cooling, I had to plug my monitor in the dvi port nearest to my MB since the one I used on the side is now blocked by my radiator.

The problem is: no signal is found from this dvi port( the one nearest to the MB ). However the other one works perfectly.

My card is the sapphire hd 5970
GPU antec Tp 750w
Monitor Asus vw266

Im using a old dvi-d single link cable.

Is there any fix for that. Why the second dvi port wouldn't send the signal??

Solution

Old question, perhaps, but one that no one seems to have answered...

Even I can't answer this but I can say that I have the same exact situation with my HD 5970.

Could be part of a power...

___Malachi___

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Old question, perhaps, but one that no one seems to have answered...

Even I can't answer this but I can say that I have the same exact situation with my HD 5970.

Could be part of a power saving configurations. You know how the 2nd gpu is essentially turned off for non-3d applications. Maybe that DVI port is connected to the slave gpu. A quick test would be to fire up a game and then switch the cable to the other port and see if you get anything (since I just thought this up, I'll do it when I get home from work today...)

Solution

mike30

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I have found what the problem was. I bought the card from ebay with a Artic Accelero Fan on it .

However, since I only played on one monitor it took me a while to find out that the second DVI port was dead. After I found out that it was dead I did some research and found out that many people who changed the stock fan had this problem related to the fact that they screw the fan way too tight and this might have destroy some connection or a transistor...i don't remember exactly.

So I had to adapt my watercooling to clear out the only working DVI port.

This might be your problem too if you switched the stock fan.

Anyway, I sold it and bought 2 GTX 580. Much better choice.

I did find annoying that on a dual gpu card, you couldn't disable crossfire anymore. What was more a annoying was when a game title was out and the driver are not fully supporting crossfire you had to wait til new drivers are out.