Help me get Moms a computer for Xmas - how's this?

Good ol Moms only surfs the web and plays Mahjoong. She's currently got an E-machine budget comp. with XP and I'd like to upgrade her to Windows 7. I'd like to stay under $400 and she already has a nice 22 inch Samsung monitor, so she's all set there. Walmart has an HP for $358 below. Is this ok for her? Any better deals at Walmart? I'd like to go with HP as I find them reputable over say "Acer" or whatever.

Here the computer I'd like to get her. Remember she doesn't play 3d games or anything intensive.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help moms computer xmas this
  1. do you feel up to building your own?

$400-ish can get a nice Llano build if you're willing to build your own.

alternately, this triple-coree Llano build is the same price:
    3 cores instead of 2, better graphics.
  2. No thanks, I'd rather just buy a prebuilt, although I built my current computer.
  3. that one you showed is ok but a homebuilt system with a a6 would be much better
  4. What's an "a6"? CPU?
  5. the A6 is a Llano Chip -- a 32nm version of the Athlon II, basically, with a built in 5550/5570.

the one I listed has a 2.1 GHz triple core processor and the HD6530D (equal to a HD 5550)
  6. She can't surf or play Mah Jong on XP? So buy WIN 7 and install it for her. Spend the rest of the cash on sweaters for her dog.
  7. Yeah, but it's an old slow E-machine. I much rather get her a new comp for under $400. She'll be surprised. I think the HP will suffice for what she does.
  8. keto: the Gateway I listed from newegg is teh same price as the Walmart HP machine with a triple core 32nm processor (compared to a dual core 45nm processor), a bigger hard drive (1tb vs 750 GB), and a much better graphics card (HD6530D vs HD 4200)
  9. the a6 computer you listed is actually a quad core, its a very good computer for the price
  10. a6-3500 is a three core. a6-3650 is a quad.
  11. ScrewySqrl said:
    a6-3500 is a three core. a6-3650 is a quad.

i apologise for my mistake but i believe the computer you linked to has a 3600 which is listed as a quad core
  12. is Gateway a good brand compared to hp?
  13. Best answer
    gateway is a decent brand, no better or worse than HP
  14. Best answer selected by keto6789.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Hewlett Packard Systems Product