Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Any way to tell if the CPU is damaged from faulty motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2012 7:08:38 AM

I just finished setting up my computer build and upon starting it, it only flashed on for a second which I could tell through the blue LED light of the fan lighting up. Upon looking closer at the board I noticed that some CPU pins on the socket were completely bent and some were touching others. Tried to fix that to no avail.

My question: Could it be that the CPU got damaged in the process? Is there any way to check whether it still works?

I am getting a new motherboard and want to know in advance if I would need to buy a new CPU.

My chip is a i7-2600k and the board used and new one ordered are an Asus P8P67 PRO gen 3.

Thanks for the help in advance!

On a side note: If you are living in Germany, don't order parts through Amazon's third party supplier: Smart-Moxx. They completely scammed me out of my money by giving me a display ware which was faulty and second-hand in spite of posting it under new products on the site. Even the plastic covering for the CPU socket was already off which would explain the faulty pins. Complete ***hats!
a b à CPUs
a c 125 V Motherboard
February 20, 2012 7:33:43 AM

I hope you are availing yourself of the refund process that amazon makes available to customers who buy from their third party vendors.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 7:39:06 AM

I dont think the cpu would get damaged.The cpu of intel is more robust and the most prone part is actually the mobo due to the lga the pins being on the mobo.In my opinion cpu rarely fail and more robust than you think and the intel guy at the forum said this to me that cpu with the longevity to surpass way beyond warranty year period.
Related resources
February 20, 2012 8:06:32 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I dont think the cpu would get damaged.The cpu of intel is more robust and the most prone part is actually the mobo due to the lga the pins being on the mobo.In my opinion cpu rarely fail and more robust than you think and the intel guy at the forum said this to me that cpu with the longevity to surpass way beyond warranty year period.

Just worried for the fact that I remember reading somewhere that if two cpu pins cross and you insert a chip, there is a chance of the thing being fried upon start-up. My brain is in paranoid mode...

Yeah made myself familiar with the whole refund process on sunday. Should be able to get my money back. I mean the tool factories even only sent me 4 stand-offs and screws for a board that requires 9 in total...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 8:19:00 AM

tha1 said:
Just worried for the fact that I remember reading somewhere that if two cpu pins cross and you insert a chip, there is a chance of the thing being fried upon start-up. My brain is in paranoid mode...

Yeah made myself familiar with the whole refund process on sunday. Should be able to get my money back. I mean the tool factories even only sent me 4 stand-offs and screws for a board that requires 9 in total...

if it doesnt work.Hope you get a refund.
m
l
February 20, 2012 9:00:44 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
if it doesnt work.Hope you get a refund.

Thanks. So you think there is a chance of it being fried?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 9:03:36 AM

tha1 said:
Thanks. So you think there is a chance of it being fried?

I am not sure really.But in my opinion not much of a chance but i could be wrong.
m
l
February 20, 2012 9:08:17 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I am not sure really.But in my opinion not much of a chance but i could be wrong.

I will take your word for it :) 

Thanks!
m
l
February 20, 2012 9:08:51 AM

Best answer selected by tha1.
m
l
!