Sign in with
Your question

Strange black "ripple" effect when playing games?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2011 4:12:30 AM

So i recently build my first gaming PC and everything has been running fine except for one problem, when i play certain games, i get a sort of black rippling effect on my monitor, this doesnt make the game unplayable, but causes me some annoyance. At first i thought it was the monitor, so to make sure i ran off the integrated graphics rather than my card (Radeon HD 6970), and the effect didnt happen at all. This led me to think it was a driver porblem, so i uninstalled all of my cards drivers, used driversweep, and reinstalled them, and guess what? It still happens! I even tried using DriverPack Solution and still nothing :(  Some of the games it occurs in are GTA 4, Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012, and Rift. Games which it doesnt occur in are Assassins Creed 2, Black Ops, and Borderlands. Also, when playing Counter Strike: Source, it happens when on lower resolutions, but when playing at the native resolution of 1920 x 1080, it doesnt happen at all. All of these games are being played at max graphics with AA turned on. If anyone could offer some advice on what to do, or any tweaks i need to do in Catalyst, id really appreciate it! :D 

Heres my build..

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD6970 2GB
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty Series 750W Modular
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL (4x4GB) DDR3
Monitor: ASUS VS228H 21.5in Widescreen LED Monitor (HDMI)
September 23, 2011 4:47:16 AM

have you overclocked it.
m
l
September 23, 2011 6:12:22 AM

Nope, i havnt even tried that before
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2011 6:45:31 AM

Have you tried setting V-sync on?

It could possibly be the 'tearing' effect that happens when the frame rate fluctuates close to a multiple of the screen refresh rate.

All your symptoms could be explained by this.
m
l
September 23, 2011 6:59:02 AM

No its deffinately not screen tearing, i already looked into that :(  its just a rippling effect across the screen
m
l
September 23, 2011 7:02:54 AM

sounds like a cable or earthing issue.
m
l
September 23, 2011 10:40:06 AM

Could it be the HDMI adaptor? That would explain why it doesnt happen when using integrated graphics
m
l
!