Why cant they make all PS2 games able to use the keyboard ..

Nevermind

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

Ive never figured that out. There are very few games that you are allowed
to use the keyboard and mouse with.

They should make almost every game able to use mouse/keyboard combination
just like the pc.

Games such as sims, playboy mansion, call of duty and pretty much all of the
FPS games would be 1000% better

"Nevermind" <nevermind@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ive never figured that out. There are very few games that you are allowed
> to use the keyboard and mouse with.
>
> They should make almost every game able to use mouse/keyboard combination
> just like the pc.
>
> Games such as sims, playboy mansion, call of duty and pretty much all of
the
> FPS games would be 1000% better

When you are trying to make your deadline, you cut every non-essential
feature you can. While it might not take much work or much memory
allocation to include mouse/keyboard support for a game, so few people use a
keyboard or mouse with a PS2 that such an option is deemed non-essential and
developers are instead more likely to focus their efforts on finishing the
game and taking care of most bugs.

I agree. Since I was brought up on the mouse/keyboard PC FPS way, I could
never seem to get used to using a control pad. It seemed like a backwards
step to me.

But all the gamers I know who never used a PC can't grasp the idea of using
a mouse/keyboard with an FPS.

oh well...

"Nevermind" <nevermind@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ive never figured that out. There are very few games that you are allowed
> to use the keyboard and mouse with.
>
> They should make almost every game able to use mouse/keyboard combination
> just like the pc.
>
> Games such as sims, playboy mansion, call of duty and pretty much all of
> the FPS games would be 1000% better

"Nevermind" <nevermind@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ive never figured that out. There are very few games that you are allowed
> to use the keyboard and mouse with.
>
> They should make almost every game able to use mouse/keyboard combination
> just like the pc.
>
> Games such as sims, playboy mansion, call of duty and pretty much all of
> the FPS games would be 1000% better

My guess would be that not a lot of people bought the keyboard & mouse, so
developers didn't see a need to incorporate that feature into the games....
but that's just a guess...

"Buckaroo Banzai" <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Nevermind" <nevermind@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ive never figured that out. There are very few games that you are
>> allowed to use the keyboard and mouse with.
>>
>> They should make almost every game able to use mouse/keyboard combination
>> just like the pc.
>>
>> Games such as sims, playboy mansion, call of duty and pretty much all of
>> the FPS games would be 1000% better
>

> My guess would be that not a lot of people bought the keyboard & mouse, so
> developers didn't see a need to incorporate that feature into the
> games.... but that's just a guess...

Heh that is exactly why I didn't buy the Keyboard and Mouse is because not
many games make use of either.

Nevermind wrote:
> Ive never figured that out. There are very few games that you are allowed
> to use the keyboard and mouse with.
>
> They should make almost every game able to use mouse/keyboard combination
> just like the pc.
>
> Games such as sims, playboy mansion, call of duty and pretty much all of the
> FPS games would be 1000% better

If people want to play those games and use a keyboard and mouse they
generally play them on the computer...

massivegrooves wrote:
> Nevermind wrote:
> > Ive never figured that out. There are very few games that you are
allowed
> > to use the keyboard and mouse with.
> >
> > They should make almost every game able to use mouse/keyboard
combination
> > just like the pc.
> >
> > Games such as sims, playboy mansion, call of duty and pretty much
all of the
> > FPS games would be 1000% better
> >

> If people want to play those games and use a keyboard and mouse they
> generally play them on the computer...

Word.

I have played a lot of FPS on the PC and it is a must control wise to
use a combination of a mouse and keyboard. There have been several times
when I planned to pick up a few FPS on the PS2 but did not after
playing a demo. When you are used to playing FPS on a PC and then have
to convert the control to a dualshock controller, it just doesn't compare.

What would be the best implementation would be a combination of a
keyboard with small trackball built in.

Regards,
--
Matt Costanza

Nevermind wrote:
> Ive never figured that out. There are very few games that you are allowed
> to use the keyboard and mouse with.
>
> They should make almost every game able to use mouse/keyboard combination
> just like the pc.
>
> Games such as sims, playboy mansion, call of duty and pretty much all of the
> FPS games would be 1000% better

--
Matt Costanza
Austin, Tx USA

Matt Costanza wrote:
> I have played a lot of FPS on the PC and it is a must control wise to
> use a combination of a mouse and keyboard. There have been several times
> when I planned to pick up a few FPS on the PS2 but did not after
> playing a demo. When you are used to playing FPS on a PC and then have
> to convert the control to a dualshock controller, it just doesn't compare.
>
> What would be the best implementation would be a combination of a
> keyboard with small trackball built in.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Matt Costanza
>

> Nevermind wrote:
>
>> Ive never figured that out. There are very few games that you are
>> allowed to use the keyboard and mouse with.
>>
>> They should make almost every game able to use mouse/keyboard
>> combination just like the pc.
>>
>> Games such as sims, playboy mansion, call of duty and pretty much all
>> of the FPS games would be 1000% better

While there is never going to be the same level of accuracy playing
using a controller, after playing some with them one can get used to
them and still have an enjoyable experience.

"sardu" emitted :

>I agree. Since I was brought up on the mouse/keyboard PC FPS way, I could
>never seem to get used to using a control pad. It seemed like a backwards
>step to me.
>
>But all the gamers I know who never used a PC can't grasp the idea of using
>a mouse/keyboard with an FPS.
>
>oh well...

Yep - I've had a serious ongoing disagreement with a mate who fails to
appreciate the superiority of using a mouse and keys on FPS games.
Claims the pad is better! I have explained at length about straffing,
circle straffing and the immediacy of mouse positioning... he refuses
to accept this. He's an idiot... ;-)

So what PS2 games can use mouse and keys then? And what mouse and keys
are available? I've never seen any!

"massivegrooves" emitted :

>If people want to play those games and use a keyboard and mouse they
>generally play them on the computer...

I bought a console exactly because I want to play games in the comfort
of my leisure room rather than sat at a computer. I guess these things
are not popular with console owners because they are less practical
(ie. you need something to put them on). What Sony need to do is
create a controller which offers the responsiveness and immediacy like
that of the mouse in the FPS environment - which no "pad" controller
currently does - but which can also be used comfortably in the hand.

Paul Dormer wrote:
> "massivegrooves" emitted :
>

>>If people want to play those games and use a keyboard and mouse they
>>generally play them on the computer...
>

> I bought a console exactly because I want to play games in the comfort
> of my leisure room rather than sat at a computer. I guess these things
> are not popular with console owners because they are less practical
> (ie. you need something to put them on). What Sony need to do is
> create a controller which offers the responsiveness and immediacy like
> that of the mouse in the FPS environment - which no "pad" controller
> currently does - but which can also be used comfortably in the hand.

That is pretty much the case. Not that comfortable/etc.. to be using a
mouse and keyboard sitting in a recliner or something similar. There
have been a few games that have supported a mouse and keyboard, think
Half-Life PS2 version did. Most if any use of the keyboard in/on the PS2
is typing/in game chat online. Most that want to play that way
(mouse/keyboard) tend to go for the PC version if there is one, or just
stick to PC FPS's.

One reason that I have seen thrown around by developers/etc.. for not
including or making use of a mouse/keyboard for PS2 games is to keep
things more even and everyone having a similar experience, etc.. Not to
give some an advantage over others.

"Matt Costanza" emitted :

>I have played a lot of FPS on the PC and it is a must control wise to
>use a combination of a mouse and keyboard. There have been several times
> when I planned to pick up a few FPS on the PS2 but did not after
>playing a demo. When you are used to playing FPS on a PC and then have
>to convert the control to a dualshock controller, it just doesn't compare.
>
>What would be the best implementation would be a combination of a
>keyboard with small trackball built in.

Or a touch sensitive pad like in a lap top.