Sign in with
Your question
Solved

B75 motherboard support ib out of box

Last response: in Motherboards
December 27, 2012 4:36:58 AM

does the b75 motherboard support the ivy bridge processors out of box? i hear the h61 can support ivy bridge but u need a sandy bridge first to update the bios etc. so is this the case also for the b75 mobo??

Best solution

a c 76 V Motherboard
December 27, 2012 4:55:25 AM

b75 is for ivy... there will be NO ISSUE at all

here is cheap mobo on sale. h77 is even better than b75
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/biostar-motherboard-h77mu3
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2012 4:56:23 AM

Yes. though the IB CPU's that are released later on would usually still require a BIOS update. for example the i5-3350P, 3330, and i3-3240, which are released awhile after the launch day CPUs like the 3570, may require a BIOS update, in this case, ver. 1.40

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75%20Pro3/?cat=CPU

though motherboard manufacturer's usually release various revisions of the same motherboard that come with a more recent BIOS pre-installed. so you could grab the latest revision of a B75 board and not have to worry with updating to BIOS 1.40 to make it compatible with an i5-3330.

the same goes for H61 boards. the later revisions should come with a more up to date BIOS to support IB CPUs out of the box.

it's always a good idea to ask your retailer what revision or what BIOS version is already installed on the motherboard. it should be printed on the box, or at least point out that it's compatible with IB CPUs in the H61's case.
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 6:08:29 AM

AMD Radeon said:
b75 is for ivy... there will be NO ISSUE at all

here is cheap mobo on sale. h77 is even better than b75
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/biostar-motherboard-h77mu3

i understand that but im on a very tight budget. i was going to go with the h61 but than deided to upgrade slightly to the b75 so i didnt have to upgrade again after the ivy bridge get updated
m
l
December 27, 2012 6:16:16 AM

Hazle said:
Yes. though the IB CPU's that are released later on would usually still require a BIOS update. for example the i5-3350P, 3330, and i3-3240, which are released awhile after the launch day CPUs like the 3570, may require a BIOS update, in this case, ver. 1.40

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75%20Pro3/?cat=CPU

though motherboard manufacturer's usually release various revisions of the same motherboard that come with a more recent BIOS pre-installed. so you could grab the latest revision of a B75 board and not have to worry with updating to BIOS 1.40 to make it compatible with an i5-3330.

the same goes for H61 boards. the later revisions should come with a more up to date BIOS to support IB CPUs out of the box.

it's always a good idea to ask your retailer what revision or what BIOS version is already installed on the motherboard. it should be printed on the box, or at least point out that it's compatible with IB CPUs in the H61's case.

also does this mean that older versions such as sandy bridge will not work?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2012 6:20:25 AM

it'll work. a new BIOS update does not take away compatibility with older SB CPUs.
m
l
December 27, 2012 6:33:17 AM

Hazle said:
it'll work. a new BIOS update does not take away compatibility with older SB CPUs.

thank you this clears everything up for me. EXCEPPPTT for one thing. would i be better off going with a h61? i dont plan to crossfire (the h61 and b75 crossfire with pci-e 2.0 @4 anyways. unless im wrong) and if they both support the same cpu and i dont really need the usb 3.0 couldnt i go with the h61 with out of the box working with ivy bridge and save the extra money
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2012 7:05:12 AM

honestly, i'd recommend the B75 just to be assured that it's highly compatible with IB.

but if you can strongly confirm the H61 board you're gunning for is an up to date revision with high compatibility with most IB cpus, go ahead. worst off, you'll just have to take it to a shop and have them update the BIOS for you if they can, hopefully.
m
l
!