Sign in with
Your question

Shocked my i7 rig could not handle 24bit audio while gaming

Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2012 12:35:13 PM

I am shocked, apparently even the i7, tons of ram and a great mb were not enough to handle 24 bit mode with .flac music while gaming, again on a low intensity game with the sound disabled. UGH! No love for us audiophiles. I was running an i7 960, 12gb of ram, dual 6950 2gb gpus in crossfire and an x58 gaming series mobo, all on a game from years ago called star wars battlefront 2 that has very low graphic intensity and requirements.

I just returned the rig for a few other reasons beyond this, 4gb of video was overkill for me and I really want something very cheap but also able to run this game well via the hdmi out on a 32 inch lcd. I just came off an alienware m11x which arrived broken, and immediately bought this huge rig out of anger. I really shouldnt have.

a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 12:41:44 PM

Audio is handled by the sound card.
Crappy sound card, crappy audio....

There prolly wasnt a reason to return the thing, and the situation could have been remedied by a good ole fashioned Creative audio card....
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 12:42:14 PM

Or better drivers for your current audio setup...
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 20, 2012 12:45:28 PM

all the drivers were up to date, and I prefer not to use a sound card over the usb dacs, my usb dacs are far superior to most sound cards so it defeats the purpose, I really didnt want to return or resell my usb dac just to install a sound card and use the standard outputs for my audio.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2012 12:58:12 PM

usb?
Wow.........
Thats your problem there....
USB sound cards were never intended for high performance, just a cheap means of getting sound on a system that didn't have sound...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
February 20, 2012 4:22:07 PM

Quote:
my usb dacs are far superior to most sound cards so it defeats the purpose

Most USB DACs are pieces of junk. Especially since $80 gets you a soundcard with a 116dB SnR these days...

Granted, a handful are really high quality [ASUS just released the Essence One for jsut this purpose], but most are crap.

In the end though, its all driver support.
m
l
!