Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

RAM overclock failure?

Last response: in Memory
Share
December 27, 2012 5:17:50 AM

Hey guys, I tried to overclock my RAM. You can say that failed...my motherboard kept restarting, and I had to "reset ram"...

I followed a guide on the internet which said that 1.50 V was perfectly fine with 9-10-9-24 @ 1800mhz, so I treied 1.50V @ 1860, a little bit over the limit.

I didnt try 1950 mhz @ 1.65, cause my motherboard only supports 1300mhz 1666 mhz, 1860 mhz, 2100 mhz and so on...

In this case, what voltages and settings do I need for a 1860 mhz overclock?

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth p67
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9
PSU: Corsair HX 750W PSU
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 "Dual Fan" in crossfire (x2)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB
SSD: OCZ SSD Vertex 4 Series 2.5" 128GB
CPU: Intel® Core i5-2500K Processor @ 4,5 ghz with H80i
Rig: Cooler Master HAF 932
DVD: Lite-On DVD±RW Writer IHAS124-19

Also, here is a screenshot from CPU-Z:



This shows 800 mhz when my standard clocks in bios is 1600 mhz, why is that?

Can someone explain to me how I can overclock my corsair vengeance without error!? <3 And why does CPU-Z says 800 mhz?

Thanks!!

More about : ram overclock failure

a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 146 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 27, 2012 6:01:50 AM

kusetjuv said:
Hey guys, I tried to overclock my RAM. You can say that failed...my motherboard kept restarting, and I had to "reset ram"...

I followed a guide on the internet which said that 1.50 V was perfectly fine with 9-10-9-24 @ 1800mhz

Simply because one person or a few even can do it does not mean your ram modules are capable of it... just like overclocking a CPU or GPU, no guarantees - in fact the only thing guaranteed is 1600MHz with CAS latency of 9 at 1.5v but I would start by loosening the timings some more
kusetjuv said:

This shows 800 mhz when my standard clocks in bios is 1600 mhz, why is that?
Can someone explain to me how I can overclock my corsair vengeance without error!? <3 And why does CPU-Z says 800 mhz?
Thanks!!

CPU-Z is showing your ram's single data rate speed but since you are running double data rate (DDR) ram, simply multiply the number by two and you'll see that you are at 1600MHz
Hope it helps
December 27, 2012 6:39:31 AM

C12Friedman said:
Simply because one person or a few even can do it does not mean your ram modules are capable of it... just like overclocking a CPU or GPU, no guarantees - in fact the only thing guaranteed is 1600MHz with CAS latency of 9 at 1.5v but I would start by loosening the timings some more

CPU-Z is showing your ram's single data rate speed but since you are running double data rate (DDR) ram, simply multiply the number by two and you'll see that you are at 1600MHz
Hope it helps


Yes, but this was the exact same RAM. :o 
Related resources
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 146 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 27, 2012 7:01:12 AM

Ram is about the strangest of the computer components as far as how it acts (and 'acts up') You can purchase identical ram modules and they might not work together (not always, but it is a very real possibility) which is why ram is sold as 'kits'. The modules in the kits have been matched to each other to ensure there are no compatability issues. It can get even more strange with ram... bad ram can have the ability to mimick other part failures... it's just strange stuff to begin with...
Back to overclocking it though... I personally would've started with faster ram but that isn't the point here. Personally, getting 1800 out of 1600 ram is a pretty good overclock, you did say the guide only takes you to 1800 - were you stable there? I don't know but you might be able to get a little more speed by dropping your timings to 10-10-10-28 or even 11-10-11-30
Just an idea that may not pan out...
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2012 7:04:38 AM

My recamend is fill all slots dont see capacity. see mhz in board and ram.Reason mhz is the key to achive speed. if board support 1600mhz u insert 1333mhz its waste because not get full speed of ram slot. if board support 1333mhz u insert 1600mhz its also waste of money (1333mhz ram is cheaper than 1600mhz)also u not utilise full speed of ram. (4x1600mhz=6400mhz =6.4ghz) vs (2x1600=3200mhz=3.2ghz).
Only oc enabled rams are overclockable.ex transcend axe ram 2100mhz oc enabled.
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 146 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 27, 2012 7:32:22 AM

hytecgowthaman said:
My recamend is fill all slots dont see capacity. see mhz in board and ram.Reason mhz is the key to achive speed. if board support 1600mhz u insert 1333mhz its waste because not get full speed of ram slot. if board support 1333mhz u insert 1600mhz its also waste of money (1333mhz ram is cheaper than 1600mhz)also u not utilise full speed of ram. (4x1600mhz=6400mhz =6.4ghz) vs (2x1600=3200mhz=3.2ghz).
Only oc enabled rams are overclockable.ex transcend axe ram 2100mhz oc enabled.

Okay, that's just not accurate info... I could go into the many reasons why but not here...
December 27, 2012 7:50:13 AM

CPU-Z shows half the frequency since it's DDR as in double data rate memory. 800MHz in CPU-Z means your RAM is effectively running at 1600MHz.
a b K Overclocking
a c 431 V Motherboard
a c 81 } Memory
December 27, 2012 8:15:05 AM

i would make sure your mb bios is up to date. a lot of mb bios going to have new ram and cpu code. with cpu-z lok under the spd tab for the xmp profile. see if your ram needs 1.5 or 1.6 or 1.65 volts at it max speed. some older ram was 1.65 at 1600. if it 1.5v at 1600 then you may have to bump the dram voltage up to 1.6 or 1.65 to get it stable. just like intel cpu overclocks you have to find a balance between heat/voltage/speed. the sb cpu memory controller has max safe voltage rating of 1.65.
!