Sign in with
Your question

Concern about my fps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2011 1:16:21 PM

Hey everyone ive read a lot of great info on this site, this is my first time posting. I had a concern about the fps im getting from a game called starcraft 2 on my new rig I just built. on ultra setting im gettin like a range of 68-90 depending on whats going on at that moment. From what I read on the net systems with what appear to me to be lesser systems are getting more, well over 100. Any advice would be great, here are my specs.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
ASUS P8Z68-M Pro LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

More about : concern fps

September 23, 2011 1:31:48 PM

Maybe they are overclocked? Or playing at lower resolutions? Have you disabled hyperthreading (no clue if that'd affect things much but why not throw it out there, right?)?

Regardless of what the case might be (with the exception of something being wrong with the gpu which I doubt), your fps is nothing to sneeze at. Unless you have the eyes of a God you probably can't even tell the difference at that point, so try not to think too hard about it and enjoy.
m
l
September 23, 2011 1:33:47 PM

To clarify if im not looking at my base where the most action is taking place it does go up, if im looking at a small skirmish its around 105 or if its a spot where i just have troops running it goes up around 120. over 200 if I look at the fog but i guess thats bound to happen there. So maybe im just not understanding what there basing those fps claims on but I just wanna make sure everything is working properly.
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2011 1:35:33 PM

Lotharian said:
Maybe they are overclocked? Or playing at lower resolutions? Have you disabled hyperthreading (no clue if that'd affect things much but why not throw it out there, right?)?

Regardless of what the case might be (with the exception of something being wrong with the gpu which I doubt), your fps is nothing to sneeze at. Unless you have the eyes of a God you probably can't even tell the difference at that point, so try not to think too hard about it and enjoy.

Oh i am, Im just new to custom pcs and I wanted to make sure there wasnt a problem or something I had set wrong. thanks a lot for the reply
m
l
September 23, 2011 1:46:36 PM

I recently built a custom pc too and had a scare as well (only with gpu temps in my case). I realized I was being silly and my constant worrying was probably going to make something actually be wrong with my card.

As far as I know, most fps claims are made during heavy action, but hell, I suppose nothing stops anyone from grabbing a number from any point in the game and saying "look at this very high and at this point fairly arbitrary number I've achieved!" when again, at that point it really doesn't matter.

So let loose and kick some ass. I think you are good to do.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2011 1:48:47 PM

I call bullshit on the people claiming to get over 100 fps average on SC2. Your FPS is very good.
m
l
September 23, 2011 2:00:19 PM

benski said:
I call bullshit on the people claiming to get over 100 fps average on SC2. Your FPS is very good.

ok that makes me feel a little better. Im just now getting interested in the technical aspect of computers, the why and how it works is fascinating. Would the monitor I use affect the fps? just now thought of this, it is a flat screen and it supports dvi, but its about a 6 year old dell flatscreen monitor so I didnt know if that could affect it at all? Im gonna start using my 60 in led tv with it but im waiting on cables to come in from monoprice.
m
l
September 23, 2011 2:04:20 PM

The only way a monitor would affect your fps is it's resolution. Generally the higher the resolution, the more taxing it will be on your gpu.

I even suggested earlier that maybe your lying friends are playing the game at lower resolutions than you to maximize fps.

What resolution do you play at? I mean, it really doesn't matter at this point considering your card will handle whatever the hell you throw at it just fine, but go ahead.
m
l
September 23, 2011 2:11:53 PM

1680x1050 which is the native res for this monitor. it wasnt even friends it was just off websites, one that concerned me was a like pc article, so it wasnt some random guy on a forum and it was claiming some higher stuff for a couple of rigs that at best sounded like they should be equal to mine but not better. But there again I dont know at what point they were claiming it cuz if mine was from a skirmish with 10 or so units and away from a base it was gettin 120ish so im probably fine just paranoid.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2011 2:35:44 PM

If you get a least 60 FPS on ULTRA in SC2, your computer is doing very well. If you ever go up to 1080P Resolution then you might notice the FPS dropping below 60's.

I currently run SC2 at 1080P on medium and get avrg around 60FPS and in large battles (6v6 players) it can slow down to around 10FPS or so.
m
l
!