Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Looking for a good gaming computer for my 11-yr old

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Call of Duty
  • Computer
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 19, 2011 11:16:39 PM

Hello,
I want to buy a computer that's gonna last a few years. My son plays alot of games like Call of Duty, Minecraft, Nascar, etc. I've been looking at different brands, Alienware, Acer Predator, Cyberpower and not sure what to buy. so confusing. thanks, Adele

More about : good gaming computer

November 19, 2011 11:28:37 PM

Have you thought about building one? It's the best way to get the best per buck in your favor.
m
0
l
November 19, 2011 11:32:39 PM

It's been a while since I put a computer together. I'd rather buy a prebuilt one. I wouldn't know where to start ordering the parts.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 19, 2011 11:53:57 PM

If you're up for the challenge, Newegg.com has very good prices with computer parts... They also have a wide variety of brands and choices to choose from.

If you're NOT up for it... Then Cyberpower can build you a computer to your specs and needs at a somewhat fair price.
Share
November 20, 2011 12:08:25 AM

He's 11? Buy him an xbox, he'll fit right in with the XBL crowd. No troll.
m
0
l
November 20, 2011 12:12:46 AM

intel4eva said:
He's 11? Buy him an xbox, he'll fit right in with the XBL crowd. No troll.


^ This...

But judging by the games he plays... He's old enough for an entry-mid level gaming comp.
m
0
l
November 20, 2011 12:17:59 AM

His dad wants to play Nascar on it too lol. He plays PS3, but really needs a desktop for gaming & to set up his minecraft server too. His laptop doesn't cut it anymore. Building his desktop might be good for him to learn how it's done. I'm in Canada, not sure if newegg.com ships here. I'm looking at Tigerdirect.ca. I just want to make sure we get a good computer this time. Our last one didn't run Nascar graphics (we had bought a Dell & an NVidia graphics card).
m
0
l
November 20, 2011 12:21:53 AM

adelelorette said:
His dad wants to play Nascar on it too lol. He plays PS3, but really needs a desktop for gaming & to set up his minecraft server too. His laptop doesn't cut it anymore. Building his desktop might be good for him to learn how it's done. I'm in Canada, not sure if newegg.com ships here. I'm looking at Tigerdirect.ca. I just want to make sure we get a good computer this time. Our last one didn't run Nascar graphics (we had bought a Dell & an NVidia graphics card).


You're right, this would be an excellent learning opportunity for him, and even offer father-son bonding time. Get dad to look at buying a barebones kit off of canadacomputers, tigerdirect, or ncix and take it from there. These kits usually contain a case, motherboard, ram and cpu. They just need to pick a hard drive, maybe a dvd drive, and a monitor. Don't get a laptop if the mobility is not needed. A desktop will be far faster and a bigger monitor is better so you don't have to squint. They can assemble it together and upgrade it as required. The quality will be way better than what you can get at best buy, and for a lot less too.

Also be aware that the vendors I mentioned (unlike newegg) have plenty of physical locations throughout the country. Check their websites. If you live near one, driving there may be cheaper than shipping, faster, and you get to talk to someone who's at least a little bit of a geek.
m
0
l
a c 474 4 Gaming
November 20, 2011 1:39:56 AM

As a dad, whose built 3 boxes with each of my 3 sons, I'd strongly recommend a build as a father-son project. AT 11, Dada is his hero, the greatest person in the world. Im guessing you know about the tooth fairy but I'm guessing you haven't yet encountered the Idiot Fairy.

That's when ya son goes to bed and Mon and Dad are still great.....then the Idiot Fairy comes during the night, and when they wake up, Mom and Dada are idiots and their friends know everything :) 

My dining room table is the neighborhood computer work bench and all my sons friends all come here to build and work on their computers. It's been a very rewarding bonding experience.

Newegg has a Canada outlet .....www.newegg.ca

Here's a recent build I did for one of my son's friends ... $1461 US ..... change all the links to to newegg.ca to shop up north. For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

becomes

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Case - $ 105 - Antec 902 V3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU - $ 90 - XFX Core Edition 850 PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MoBo - $ 180 - ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU - $ 220 - Intel Core i5-2500K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cooler - $ 50 - Scythe Mugen 3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM - $ 50 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair CAS 9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GFX - $ 225 - Asus GTX 560 Ti 900 Mhz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GFX - Later - Same
HD - $ 120 - Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SSD - Later - OCZ Vertex 3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
DVD Writer - $ 19 - Asus 24X http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OS - $ 100 - Win 7-64 Home Pre http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Card Reader $ 35 AFT XM-35U http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Monitor - $ 170 - ASUS VH242H 23.6" LED http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Keyboard - $ 62 - Logitech G110 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mouse - $ 35 - Logitech G500 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I wasn't all that happy about the HD choice they made (only 2 year warranty). Id switch to this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
m
0
l
a c 339 4 Gaming
November 25, 2011 4:58:05 PM

adelelorette said:
Hello,
I want to buy a computer that's gonna last a few years. My son plays alot of games like Call of Duty, Minecraft, Nascar, etc. I've been looking at different brands, Alienware, Acer Predator, Cyberpower and not sure what to buy. so confusing. thanks, Adele

If you're looking for a budget gamer, I have a nearly new Athlon II X3 3.2GHZ w/HD 5770 520W PSU that I built for sale on ebay if you're interested.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 7:40:04 PM

Thanks but I'm not looking for a budget system. I want something that will last a while. I had decided on a Digital Storm ODE Level 3, BUT the shipping to Canada is over $300, then there's duty.

Here's the minimum specs I'm looking for:

Intel i7-2600k 3.4ghz
2 video cards (either Nvidia GTX570 or Radeon HD6870)
8MB ddr3 memory
1 TB hard disk
power supply 800w corsair
asus sabertooth p67 motherboard

Where can I find a good quality gamin pc similar to this?
m
0
l
a c 339 4 Gaming
November 25, 2011 7:47:45 PM

adelelorette said:
Thanks but I'm not looking for a budget system. I want something that will last a while. I had decided on a Digital Storm ODE Level 3, BUT the shipping to Canada is over $300, then there's duty.

Here's the minimum specs I'm looking for:

Intel i7-2600k 3.4ghz
2 video cards (either Nvidia GTX570 or Radeon HD6870)
8MB ddr3 memory
1 TB hard disk
power supply 800w corsair
asus sabertooth p67 motherboard

Where can I find a good quality gamin pc similar to this?

LOL... that's for an 11 year old?

Why not try one of the 'computer boutiques' like Velocity Micro. Before I started building my own, I had one of their machines. Well built in the USA, with all comercial components, no OEM parts. You start with their offerings and customize it to your satisfaction. Best part, they stand behind their machines A+.
http://www.velocitymicro.com/category-gaming.php?cid=12
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 8:56:19 PM

Best answer selected by adelelorette.
m
0
l