Window shopping for PSU

ChosterF

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Tomorrow, i've decided to go to the city and buy a PSU from a shop rather than online which leads me to the Question:

What should i look out for?
What should i avoid?

system specs are:
GA M720
EVGA SC GTX460
MAD Ph x6 1045t

i hope to OC so im guessing i should get around 500W?

silverliquicity

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Look for anything that has a "gold certificate 80+" and above, that shows it has a good efficiency.

Id recommend anything that is Modular (preferably fully modular).

500W is good, 600w + to be future proof

Hope i helped =P

ChosterF

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
haha, please bear in mind that i have a tight budget (£60 max).

i've also heard that not all 80 plus are good and that some are still unreliable?

Look for quality units that have at least a 3yr warranty, 80+ and some have Bronze certification.
Antec,Corsair Builder and OZC(ZS) have models in this category.
Moving up from that category better units have 5yr warranties, 80+ Bronze,and some are semi-modular.
Antec True Power New,Corsair TXV2/TXM,XFX Pro,and Seasonic offer the best units.
Above these you start getting into Silver,Gold,and Platinum series = most are offered in semi/fully modular.
Avoid low end Coolermaster and Thermaltake units particularly.
Stick with units from companies i've mentioned.

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Depending on how much you plan to OC I would take the safe route and get yourself a 750w. I have posted my recommendation of what two to get. Oh and for your 60 buck limit you don't want to go with a cheap PSU it might fail really quick and their unreliable...its best to save up an extra 100 bucks and get something that's going to last so your not having to buy a new PSU every 6-12 months. I personally have a Silverstone Stryder 850w fully modular for my i7 first gen build and have had it for four years with no hiccups yet! I spent $165 on it when I got it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153132

D

Deleted member 217926

I stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Antec, Silverstone and Enermax. OCZ also has some good units.

Here is a good list to go by. It's not perfect but is more correct than wrong. Try to stay with a tier 2 unit and up.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

As Davcon said avoid Thermaltake and Coolermaster.

500 watts is fine for your listed specs. A good 550w unit would allow for a pretty big graphics upgrade in the future.

D

Deleted member 217926

The list is updated as of 12/20/2011. The power supplies are listed based on ripple and noise as well as the ability to put out the rated power. To be listed as tier 1 a PSU has to have a ripple of 30mV or less.

So, I'm curious as to where it's wrong because if you can provide documentation the guy regularly updates the list based on new evidence. And as I said, it's not perfect but it is more right than wrong.