Weird pc problem - Cannot find a fix

bigst79

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hello everyone. I was about to give up on this computer when my brother told me to post on this forum because he told me “those guys know their stuff,” so maybe you guys can think of something I haven’t. Here goes (I’m going to try to make this as clear as possible)…

HP Pavilion a6357c
Windows 7 professional 32bit (upgraded from vista)
3g Ram (2x1g and 2x512mb)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ processor - 2.6GHz
Power Supply – Thermaltake 430wt power supply (is an upgrade from a couple years back)
Radeon HD 6570 (is an upgrade)
If you need more specs my complete pc is here… http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=GX759AA

My pc problem is as follows:
- if I leave in all the memory that came with my PC, it will either not start up at all, or crash shortly thereafter giving me a quick blue screen that’s unreadable, then reboots me and offers to run a “windows fix” which tells me the problem can’t be fixed.

If I take out the 2x512mb of RAM out of the 3rd and 4th slots, the pc boots up fine with the 2x1g sticks in the 1st and 2nd slots, but gives me the following problems after a short while:
- PC will freeze at random or sometimes not at all…eventually it becomes sluggish and needs to be rebooted;
- when I try to play a game (specifically World of Tanks), many times it will freeze when loading, and other times I will get squiggled lines horizontally on the screen, but then other times I can just play for a couple hours without a problem, other than it making my pc laggy after exiting.

If I take out the 2x1g sticks of RAM and try to load Windows 7 with the 2x512mb sticks in the 1st two slots, I get the following problem:
- windows freezes at blue start up screen

If I load up the pc with the new 2GB stick in the 1st slot, and an existing 1g stick of RAM in the 2nd slot, nothing in the 3rd and 4th, I get the following:
- windows may not load at all
- shortly after windows loads it will freeze up and give me squiggly lines on the screen
- shortly after windows starts it will restart

If I try just using the new 2g stick of RAM by itself with nothing in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th slots, it will give me the same problem as above.
Right now I have only the 2x1g sticks of Ram because it’s the only thing that makes my computer useable.

These are all the fixes I’ve attempted:
- Clean reinstall of Windows 7
- New Video Card (Radeon HD6570 upgraded from EVGA GeForce 9600GT) and I don’t overclock
- Updating all of the drivers
- 1 new stick of PNY 2GB DD2 PC2-5300 667mhz DIMM memory
- Made sure everything was pushed into the slots properly

Please help me if you can! Thanks in advance

check in BIOS to see the RAM timings are the same as the spec of the SLOWEST stick you have .
That means biggest timings and highest voltage

If you cant do this manually then you may be able to set the board to " fail safe default" .

You wont want to leave it on that setting but it will tell you if timings/voltage are the issue