Hard decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyxix

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Alright, I wanted to wait until I bought myself a new GPU but this is pretty tempting.

I just found the ZOTAC AMP! ZT-50204-10M GeForce GTX 570 for 269.99$.

I can wait a little bit for the GPU and I wanted to buy the 6950 2gb edition when it's gonna comme bundled with BF3.

So the decision is : Let the GTX570 pass and get the 6950 2 gb edition for like 220$
or
buy the GTX 570 .... and not look back

I'm planning on buying another one (either sli or crossfire) during boxing day.

My resolution is 1920X1200, so which one is the better deal???

Solution

The main question is, does either card suit your needs today? If not, you paid too much for it.
If both are suitable, the GTX570 will be a better performer.
If you think you will need...

psyxix

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Meh the prices are at their lowest right now... will probably go a little lower but not that much. With computers you can wait all your life.

Why not Zotac? I don't know the brand btw so I have no opinion on it :p

The main question is, does either card suit your needs today? If not, you paid too much for it.
If both are suitable, the GTX570 will be a better performer.
If you think you will need two cards for acceptable performance, then perhaps the cheaper 6950 would be better as an interim card.

My guess is that you will be very satisfied with the GTX570, and will not have the need to upgrade so long as you are running a single 1920 x 1200 monitor.
My graphics upgrade plan would be to use a GTX570 now, and look at the 28nm offerings from Nvidia or AMD which should arrive early next year. At that time, the higher end GTX570 will command a better price on the used market, making the upgrade to a single top 28nm card the better deal than going sli.

Solution

psyxix

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Nah the 269.99$ is in my pricerange (comes with assassin creed brotherhood and batman akram city), I was just wondering what was the better deal ... :p

So you mean that the 570 gtx can be sold for more before the 28 nm offerings come out. Cause It could be a very good plan... like I just sell my 570 280$ and buy myself a new shiny gpu :)

I also have no intention of going Eyefinity or multi-gpu... or 3D. I just want the best single GPU/1920X1200 experience. Also, I don't want the card to sound like a freaking train ... :D

The GTX580 gives you the best single gpu experience you can buy today. Bar none.
Is it worth it? That is a value question which each person must answer for themselves.
For what it is worth, I paid more than I should have when the GTX580 was introduced, and do not regret it one bit.

On resale, you always lose something, but it is only my opinion, that the highest end cards will hold their value better when newer and better cards are launched.

Sorry for that mate. I've been told myself Zotac isn't a good brand and it's never reccomended on this forum so i guessed it couldn't be any good. After doing more reading it came out not being really bad, only the thing with the service and so. Next time i'll do my reading a bit better.
And who knows, maybe it was a really bad one and i saved you a big headache. ( yeah, right . . . )

Status
Not open for further replies.