Sandisk Ultra 120gb ssd
Asrock Pro3 Gen3 motherboard
g.skill 8gb 1333mhz ram
Samsung sh-222a dvd burner
corsair 500w 8- plus power supply
Gigabyte 560ti 1gb 900mhz graphics card
Rosewill destroyer case

Now on to the problem.
Windows 7 will not load on my computer. I put the disc in the cd drive, it boots to the install screen and then tells me I need to install drivers for my dvd/cd drive.....I find that hard to believe as it reads the OS disc. What should I do?

Everything else works fine, the bios loads, the bios recognizes my ssd, I have ssd set to achi, have the cd drive set as the primary boot drive(though i originally tried it as the secondary with ssd first....)

Thanks for any help!
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2011 1:00:15 AM

How can you load drivers when you haven't loaded Windows yet. Drivers are software that gets loaded into Windows so that Windows can properly interface with the hardware. Are you sure it's not asking you for drivers for the SSD. I would look at the Samsung site under support or downloads to see if there are any drivers for your dvd burner then I would look at the Sandisk web site to see if they have drivers for thier SSD. That will tell you for sure if one of those devices actually needs drivers.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2011 1:32:06 AM

It's probably looking for the sata drivers so it can recongnize the SSD. Since it doesn't recognize the SSD it thinks it's a cd/dvd. When you get to that window, put the motherboard disk in and click on load drivers. Then load the sata drivers from that disk. After you load the drivers switch out the discs, (assuming you only have one cd/dvd), and continue loading windows.
Also, make sure you have the version of bios installed that give you the best support for SSD's. I think it's version 1.10 - with instructions
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2011 4:34:27 AM

this may be a stupid question, but how do i install drivers for my ssd. There was no cd that came for is and the cd that came for my motherboard will not boot for some reason. Am I better off trying to boot from a usb drive? And yes I am sure it's not specifically asking for drivers for the ssd as it states "install drivers for sh-22ab" which is the name of my cd drive
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2011 12:46:52 PM

Don't know of drivers for an SSD. Compatibility or bios issues, (did you check yours?) I've heard of, but not drivers. Usually, you don't need to install anything except maybe raid drivers during a windows install. So 2 things come to mind. First, I would try plugging the dvd drive into different sata ports, try several. Maybe you have it in a usb3 port and it wants drivers so it can work properly? And you can try disconnecting the ssd and try to load. It should go the the loading/install process until it gets to the hard drive and then tell you it doesn't see one. Sounds stupid I know but it might help eliminate the ssd as the culprit.
As for the motherboard disc being bootable, they never are. What I meant to convey was that when you start your windows install, and after it goes through the loading windows white bar across the bottom and starting windows screen to the pick a hard drive to install windows on, there is usually also an option to install drivers. Then, you can pull out the windows disc, insert your mobo disc, and find and double click on the needed sata drivers, (it will only let you pick drivers needed so if you pick the wrong one(s) it won't install or hurt anything). If you're saying it doesn't get that far then a usb installation should work, but you'd have to first make the usb drive bootable and then put your windows on it. You might be able to mount your windows 7 on the usb drive but I think you will need to make it an ISO image first, then burn, then install. Exactly how far does it get into the loading process?
Second thing that comes to mind is that maybe you can return/switch out the dvd drive and try that. Could just be an issue with the drive itself. Do you see the dvd drive in the bios? You mentioned the ssd but not the dvd so I gotta ask - Oh, and there's no "Stupid Questions" especially since this is a question forum :lol: 
m
l
November 20, 2011 7:32:13 PM

It gets as far as the screen after the screen where I click install. I inserted the motherboard cd and no drivers wre compatable. I'm not sure how to go about making a bootable usb stick but I have the ISO file for windows 7 .
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2011 10:00:41 PM

Thats good. download and install power iso jist the free trial will work. Once u do double click on the windows iso file and choose burn. Pick the flash drive and burn. When if finishes put it in your comp start it up and pick the flash drive as first boot amd reboot that should allow you to install
m
l
December 29, 2011 11:13:56 PM

suteck said:
Thats good. download and install power iso jist the free trial will work. Once u do double click on the windows iso file and choose burn. Pick the flash drive and burn. When if finishes put it in your comp start it up and pick the flash drive as first boot amd reboot that should allow you to install

I'm about to go through an install of the Mobo and Win 7 64 bit as well and worry about the SSD drivers. If I should be using the same SATA Raid drivers that are on the ASRock sight? They seem to mention floppy but I'm guessing it also refers to the SSD drivers. I'm also hoping I can read from USB rather than have to burn a CD.

I've downloaded the latest BIOS (1.20) and plan on flashing that straight from BIOS before even installing the OS. Hoping these steps make the install easier.

If I'm going down the wrong path, hope someone can point me down the right one. I'll provide an update once I'm done.
m
l
!