Sign in with
Your question

What power supply would be appropriate?

Last response: in Systems
November 20, 2011 12:41:56 AM

:hello:  I'm currently planning to build a computer with the following components, I have spent over a week finding the parts and seeing if the output is worth the money. I live in New Zealand and for reference I use the website www.pricespy.co.nz

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 980 3.7GHz Black Edition
RAM: 8GB Kingston Hyper X PC12800/1600MHz (2x4GB)
Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD 6870 Ice Q Turbo X
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA 970A-D3
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
DVDRW: Lite On iHas324 24x

I have chosen the CPU because I intend to buy all of the components from www.alphacity.co.nz and the 980 BE is cheaper than the 965 BE. I have chosen 8GB Ram (2x4GB) because it is only $20 NZD more than 4Gigs of RAM at 1600MHz. The graphics card is seemingly the best 6870, despite being cheaper than the Sapphire HD 6870 it is actually faster.

Now my question is, what kind of Power Supply Unit will I be looking to buy if I am to purchase all these components? I don't want to spend this money on the components just to have a sub standard Power Supply and have it crap out. I struggled to really look deep into power supplies and decided that the Cooler Master USP 100 that comes with a 550w PSU was appropriate, Although it only runs at 70% efficiency which is what made me sceptical. To run all of this I assume a standard or greater 500w PSU would be needed, a friend told me just to purchase the Thermaltake V3 Black Edition which I believe comes with a 420w PSU, would that be good enough?

Any information on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

More about : power supply

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 144 ) Power supply
November 20, 2011 1:13:40 AM

A 500 - 550 watt PSU would be plenty.

I wouldn't buy a CM PSU. For 500 watts, the minimum I'd recommend is an Antec 500 watt Earthwatts PSU.

One of my systems has an OC'd Q9550, 4 GB RAM, a GTX260 - a card with similar power requirements to a 6870, a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, 3 hard drives and an optical, and a Soundblaster card all powered by a Corsair 750TX.

Running 3 instances of Prime95 to load the CPU and 3DMark06 to load the GPU, it pulls 375 watts from the wall as measured by my Kill-a-Watt meter. Figuring 80% PSU efficiency, the system pulls 300 watts from the PSU.

m
l
November 20, 2011 1:37:12 AM

Cheers! I'll go with an Antec Power Supply! :) 
m
l
November 21, 2011 7:07:12 PM

hello; A'M Abraham form Tanzania

The power supply converts alternating-current (AC) power coming from a wall outlet into direct-current (DC) power, which is a lower voltage.
DC power is required for all of the components inside the computer.
Cables, connectors, and components are designed to fit together snugly. Never force any connector or component.
so if you wont to bey power supply :hello:  you have to check cables which is required for all of the components inside the computer
m
l
!